PDA

View Full Version : navigation problems

myride
08-08-2011, 11:52 PM
iI just returned from 2 trips in my 2010 550iGT and both times the navigation system took me miles out of the way-I have tried all route variations but none of them worked.The system will not even direct me properly to my home.Previously i owned an X5 and never experienced any of these navigation problems.Any comments would be appreciated.

LowerEast
08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I've had my 550i GT for 3 weeks now, and just got my first bad routing. It's a great car, but the navigation system is not a strength. The system in my 3 year old Infiniti was much better.

Mikez38
08-09-2011, 04:11 PM
There have been lots of complaints over on the F10 board, mine included.
I find the street detail on the display terrible and sometimes unreadable, with street names missing. I too have been poorly routed on a few occasions. I also am not happy about the information provided on the display such as current street name and town.
I have heard that BMW has changed the vendor maps from what used to be a good system to our current problematic system.
This is my fifth nav. system and it is the worst.

jadnashuanh
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
So far, I've not run into that problem, although I've not used it all that much. I do find it interesting that this is the first one that shows the roads in my private community - all others ommited most of them. What I do find annoying is their current price structure to update the maps - hell, you can buy a Garmin or TomTom with lifetime map updates for much less than the cost to update the maps once in the car. With Garmin, anyway, you can update up to 4x per year forever for the life of that box for a one-time fee of around $80.

Mikez38
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
link to the F10 board and the reported problems:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559628

magnumforc
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I have to agree that the navigation system is fair at best. My TomTom XXL540TM outperforms it every time. When I approach home, several blocks away, the BMW system insists I make a U-turn which would take me away from my home and put me in the complete opposite direction with no easy way to return. On top of that, it's at a place where U-turns are illegal. On route to another destination, the route quits about 1/2 mile before the destination yet says I've arrived. For some places that have been extant for a year or more, the system does not show the streets even exist. It's as if it's a partial map system and outdated before you even buy the car. Hmmm..shades of GM?

Entry is more difficult than with other systems and I use Google Maps 'send to car" almost exclusively now to avoid the iDrive entry system hassle. Finally, the angle of viewing for the screen is not optimal, and unless you bring the scale way down to minimal distance, it's difficult to discern street names, etc. On the positive side is seeing the turns in the instrument display so you don't have to look at the map all the time.

I have had the latest software upgrade for the entire vehicle, so it didn't fix the navigation glitches altogether. Prersonally I just think for the price of the system it's not BMW quality or standard.

jadnashuanh
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Keep in mind that on the nav system, there are two different sets of data: the operating system (which BMW may update for free during service) and the actual map data (that they generally charge you for a new license for the new data files). Obviously, updating the operating system would or at least could affect how it determines a route, but it would not help if the area you are in does not have up to date maps.

In a way, it's sad that you can buy a handheld device with lifetime updates to the data for barely over $100, and BMW wants you to pay nearly $400 and then also pay to have it installed.

magnumforc
08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
True. I find it irritating that the map data would be out of date on a brand new 2011 vehicle while the data on a Tom Tom is more current. It would be more than frustrating to have a $100 portable unit affixed to the windshield while a $1900 unit goes underutilized in the dash!!

Add to that, the inconvenience of the traffic feature on the BMW. Sure it tells you there is a problem, but unlike the portables you actually have to decide what to do about it. The cheapo Tom Tom actually tells you and asks if you want to reroute or will automatically reroute in plenty of time. Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that what I should expect for almost 2 grand?

jadnashuanh
08-15-2011, 12:41 PM
While I haven't looked for it, has anyone noticed a copyright date on their map data? Curious what date and/or version number people are running. I'll try to search around and see if it's available somewhere on a menu. Mine was programmed in June in NJ after the European delivery shipment, so, hopefully, was current then.

CC Brown
08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
The BMW system does re-route you from traffic data if you have it set that way. In fact I think it does a better job than my Garmin. I just completed a 9000 mile trip around the USA and into the Canadian Rockies and the Garmin on also.

As I have stated before both systems had the same routes approx 90% of the time. Some different was the BMW didn't have some roads my Garmin had. I had just updated the Garmin since I get 4 free updates a year. I did update my BMW maps when I returned-cost $330 plus 1hour($120) to install-total $450. BMW needs to figure out how to put these updates on DVD so we can install and charge less.

One other thought. When you get a current map from Garmin or BMW it is still at least 6 months out of date since it takes time to decode/encode these thing for each system. Plus a new map may not include a new subdivision for several years must less a new store/gas station/etc.

myride
08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
The date my nav was installed - dec. 2009-still no solution from BMW,but dealer and head office involved...

jadnashuanh
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
In that time, the map data has been updated numerous times (approximately every 6-months), but I do not know if they also have tweaks for the navigation software as well. These are two different things, as I understand it. Updating the map data does not update the nav operating system. Let me know if you find out otherwise!

car-fan
08-21-2011, 09:12 PM
In that time, the map data has been updated numerous times (approximately every 6-months), but I do not know if they also have tweaks for the navigation software as well. These are two different things, as I understand it. Updating the map data does not update the nav operating system. Let me know if you find out otherwise!

Yes the BMW NAV system is not as efficient as it should be. Having HUD helps with the turn by turn/directional instructions , but entering certain cities especially here in SoFla can be a pain. Sometimes you need to add the zipcode, other times not...However, traffic rerouting in Dynamic Mode has been effective for me.

That being said, apart from not being able to input (other than by voice command) on the fly, thew NAV systems in my Infiniti's are much easier to use.