PDA

View Full Version : Happy campers on first road trip

Chicago GT
08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Five days after taking delivery of my 2010 535 GT with 11k miles on it my wife and I took the two 6 foot boys on a family trip that was 1300 miles long from Chicago into the Ozark mountains. These are my first impressions of the new car. Conv, sprt, driver assist, prem snd, cld wthr, phone int, Sat radio, Sapphire blk on blk.

- The cruise control was fantastic. Everyone who drove remarked on how easy it was to adjust speeds and how smooth it operated.
- Plenty of power. When we got to the hills it was eager to power uphill and felt rock solid well into triple digit speeds. Had no perceptible reduction in stopping power or overall acceleration with a full load of people and junk.
- No speeding tickets were issued.
- At speeds above 30 mpg or so the transmission is very smooth under all conditions. Shifts are almost imperceptible.
- Got 27 mpg on the way down. I was very please with this as when I was driving 80 to 85 was the normal cruising speed.
- The handling on curvy roads was good. It is big car, but I felt very much in control at speeds that made many others in the car nervous.
- Liked the steering and road feel at all speeds. Also liked the feel and function of the turn signals, wipers and hi-beams.
- Individual climate controls with individual fan speeds was made much use of.
- Driver assist package was also well received. The blind spot detection feature was reassuring when changing lanes. There are some significant blind spots and this option package is much more useful than I expected. I felt much more comfortable changing lanes as a result of the system.
- The lane departure feature was also surprisingly effective. When changing the radio or just plain sight seeing it was nice to be reminded that it was drifting a bit.
- The sound system was great. We used Pandora via an iphone and the audio quality was noteworthy.
- Loved the sports seats like I knew I would. The thigh support and lumbar was great along with the other seat adjustments which were used by all to get comfortable on the 10 hour drives.
- The dead pedal for my left foot is also very nice and large. It fits the families large feet well.
- Plenty of room for the big kids in the back. We avoided the usual fight for the front passenger seat.
- Enjoyed the double sun roof from the rear seats. Would have been nice to have the power shade option though.
- Cup holders that actually work! Made use of the little pop up size adjustments to switch between water bottles and large cups. The placement is still suspect though as the water bottles were still in front of the fan control? My other car was a 2002 530 and this was clearly a huge improvement.
- The split opening of the armrest was convenient when people were connecting to the auxiliary input to for the radio and accessing the 12 volt power. It was nice to have the driver half of the arm rest during while the space was being accessed.
- Felt that I did not need the comfort features which are part of the convenience package. But I am very happy to not ever take my key out of my pocket and only be touching the door handle to open on close the car. After just a week it seems like a good idea and I am glad to have it. The power hatch was used often and the soft close doors are a conversation piece.
- Got many inquisitive looks from other drivers as I went by them which I took as a compliment to a vehicle they had not seen before.
- I have not yet hooked up my blackberry torch, blue tooth or satellite radio. But based on the effectiveness of the other options I expect the phone integration to work well.

Dislikes

- At slow speeds, 10 to 15 mph, the transmission is insisting on gear changes that caused the car to not be as smooth as it should be. I did reset the transmission learning memory before the trip and it did help the situation. But, I still feel that it is a problem. Driving in a hilly parking lot with little kids everywhere was a jerky experience.
- I do not have the navigation option on the car. I would have liked every option but when shopping used and when price natters something's were just not on the car. I did not miss the actual navigation capability as we had many iphones along for the ride. But I think that the options also I included some of the radio functionality which I assumed to be on the car. The ability to get information about the radio stations seems to hindered. This could be operator error?
- Still wonder about the options I do not have. I bet comfort mode would have made the smooth ride even better on some of the highways we were on. The guys in the back did ask for some temp adjustments that could have been handled by the rear seating climate control options. It was not a problem but I knew that the option was missing.
- Have not found any use for the retractable storage drawer that is on top of the radio?
- Not comfortable with the thumb control to switch between radio stations. Perhaps I still need training.
- The power outlets in the rear console and by the front cup holders did not work? Will have this checked at the upcoming service.
- For the size of the car I felt that there would be more storage capacity. I had expected there to be more room in the truck. Perhaps more storage under the floor? When there are only two or three passengers I can see that having the ability to put the backseats down will be a big deal. Having that ability to transport stuff was an important part of the buying decision. We shall see how it works with fewer passengers.

In summary I am very happy and just only wish that every available option was on the car. Hope you find this interesting.

Regards,

2010 535 GT Conv, sprt, driver assist, prem snd, cld wthr, phone int, Sat radio, Sapphire blk on blk.
2002 530i Premium pkg, cld weather, European delivery 125k miles blue on tan

Capobranco
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Congrats, again, on your new GT!

Trip to the Ozark Hills sounds like the perfect road trip to discover the joys of GT driving.
I make frequent 200- 400 mile trips to the mountains of Western Maryland/WV and always look forward to the twisties. The GT is a very large beast but drives small - as you have discovered. Moreover, as you are becoming aware, driving a GT not only allows you hang out with classy dudes like us on at the F07 coral, but in the eyes of many, you are driving a BMW exotic. My GT continues to receive frequent unsolicited :thumbup:. I find the GT's rarity is a fun part of the GT ownership experience. The rarity of an exotic and the easy no charge maintenance of BMW - cheap thrill. :bigpimp:

Also congrats on no speeding tickets - as you are now well aware, the GT lulls you. Silently, swiftly, you find yourself travelling at speeds that will earn you a reckless driver citation and maybe a very embarrassing trip to the local station. Not a cheap thrill. :eek:

As to your problem of herky-jerkiness - I experienced this the first few thousand miles
on my 550i - it dissipated before I had the opportunity to return the car to fix it. I still experience it - very occasionally - at a diminished level, and will address the issue at my 15K mile service. I understand that BMW dealers have a software mod that addresses it. I cannot speak to its effectiveness.

Addressing the issue of options "should've could've would've" - Celebrate what you have! - the alternative is perpetual unhappiness.
You have a very special BMW - enjoy!:)

Chicago GT
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
I am enjoying the car everyday. The operation of what I do have is so satisfying that, as always, I just wanted a little more. Quickly getting over the few options that I do not have.
:)

LowerEast
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
- For the size of the car I felt that there would be more storage capacity. I had expected there to be more room in the truck. Perhaps more storage under the floor? When there are only two or three passengers I can see that having the ability to put the backseats down will be a big deal. Having that ability to transport stuff was an important part of the buying decision. We shall see how it works with fewer passengers.

Not sure if you've tried this, but I was shocked at how much more trunk room became available by sliding the rear seats forward even one notch (you could move it further forward if your rear seat passengers aren't too tall), putting the hinged panel behind them into a more upright position, and stowing the detatchable cargo cover in the floor.

I was a little skeptical that this would make much of a difference, but I had to haul a bunch of stuff a few weeks back, and couldn't believe how much the trunk fit without having to fold the rear seats down.

With the rear seat bases at one notch forward, there is still a ton of rear leg room, but it really makes a significant difference to how much trunk volume you have to play with.

Chicago GT
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
The next test will be with three people and a college room full of stuff. We shall see.

car-fan
08-19-2011, 07:22 PM
As you will find the GT is quite flexible-several configuration options to get the job done!

Congrats:thumbup:

magnumforc
08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Capobranco;6259465]

As to your problem of herky-jerkiness - I experienced this the first few thousand miles
on my 550i - it dissipated before I had the opportunity to return the car to fix it. I still experience it - very occasionally - at a diminished level, and will address the issue at my 15K mile service. I understand that BMW dealers have a software mod that addresses it. I cannot speak to its effectiveness. QUOTE]

I had the entire vehicle reprogrammed about a month ago and it did nothing to smooth out the early morning jerkiness that occurs at startup. It disappears within a mile or two and is the same on the 2010 and the 2011 (the 2011 had the complete reprogram).

As you suggest, perhaps it will disappear with time/mileage. Only 4K on the 2011; I don't really have a big issue with it as I know it will happen for the first few minutes. I also notice some idling iregularities over the first several minutes as well so I believe that may contribute to the jerkiness. Dealer found nothing wrong with either vehicle so we'll just enjoy the rides!

Capobranco
08-22-2011, 02:02 PM
As you will find the GT is quite flexible-several configuration options to get the job done!

Congrats:thumbup:

+1

Carfan - GREAT new SIG - your GT looks not only spectacular, but also very natural in your SoFl setting. :thumbup:
Reminds me of my many days in Ft. Lauderdale - nice memories. :)

Capobranco
08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I had the entire vehicle reprogrammed about a month ago and it did nothing to smooth out the early morning jerkiness that occurs at startup. It disappears within a mile or two and is the same on the 2010 and the 2011 (the 2011 had the complete reprogram).

As you suggest, perhaps it will disappear with time/mileage. Only 4K on the 2011; I don't really have a big issue with it as I know it will happen for the first few minutes. I also notice some idling iregularities over the first several minutes as well so I believe that may contribute to the jerkiness. Dealer found nothing wrong with either vehicle so we'll just enjoy the rides!

I now have 13K+ miles on my 2010 550i GT. I can confirm the jerkiness and slamming into first when first starting off when cold - was a more significant problem the first 2-3K miles. It has greatly diminished with time. Currently, I may experience it at a diminished level the first 20- 30 yards in our driveway - but as soon as I accelerate onto the state road - it goes away. I hoped to address the issue at my next service - but given your experience - I will not have high expectations. Today - I don't consider the issue to be a particularly big deal - more on the level of an irritant.

Thanks for the feed back.:thumbup:

car-fan
08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
+1

Carfan - GREAT new SIG - your GT looks not only spectacular, but also very natural in your SoFl setting. :thumbup:
Reminds me of my many days in Ft. Lauderdale - nice memories. :)

Thanks "Capo" I guess I need a peaceful setting and some relief after the maddness going on over in the 550xi vs Panamera thread:rolleyes:

Capobranco
08-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks "Capo" I guess I need a peaceful setting and some relief after the maddness going on over in the 550xi vs Panamera thread:rolleyes:

I was looking for you last Friday night to help carry some of the load - even mentioned your name - "if Carfan was here...." Actually I think you would have enjoyed it - conversation was about DINAN which I have zero experience. It was a fun ride....

Your GT looks so Miami in your SIG - loving it - BMW should give you a commission for creating a killer lifestyle GT ad.
BTW - Hope Dade County doesn't cite you for the illegal park.:p

car-fan
08-22-2011, 06:23 PM
I was looking for you last Friday night to help carry some of the load - even mentioned your name - "if Carfan was here...." Actually I think you would have enjoyed it - conversation was about DINAN which I have zero experience. It was a fun ride....

Your GT looks so Miami in your SIG - loving it - BMW sould give you a commission for creating a killer lifestyle GT ad.
BTW - Hope Dade County doesn't cite you for the illegal park.:p

I saw some of the comments on DINAN. A DINAN tuned F10/F07 is a force to be reckoned with - against Panamera , MB etc...

Thanks again:)