PDA

View Full Version : X5 3.0i oil consumption..........

Tominizer
03-26-2004, 05:49 AM
I'm going to be keeping a really close eye on this issue as I'm not too impressed.

I change my oil every 5000 km as I'm planning on keeping the X5 for the long haul. But I'm noticing that from just after the oil change to 5000 km later the level on the stick drops from the top of the marking to almost the bottom. That's some serious BS as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else noticing this happening on their 3.0i motor???? Rumor has it that it's an issue with this motor in all the BMW lineup.

Mr Paddle.Shift
03-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Tom, perhaps a leak somewhere? Did you check the spot where you park for a while? Is there an oil stain on the floor? AFAIK, no issues with M54 3.0i.

mkh
03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Anyone else noticing this happening on their 3.0i motor???? Rumor has it that it's an issue with this motor in all the BMW lineup.
Not that I know of. My X5 3.0i consumes about 1 quart of oil every 5000 miles. I don't consider it abnormal.

Tominizer
03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
No spots on the floor............... and I keep a pretty immaculate garage floor. Haven't found any leaks either.

Why should they be consuming oil period !??!?!?!?

Patrick330i
03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
You might want to do a search on this. I feed my 330i oil every now and then and I do drive it hard sometimes on some local twisties. I don't have any leaks. I don't consider this abnormal. Sounds like you are still within range, but just keep an eye on it like you said. So far, doesn't seem to be a problem. If it becomes more of a problem, have your service rep look into it. Good luck.

Emission
03-26-2004, 11:34 PM
No spots on the floor............... and I keep a pretty immaculate garage floor. Haven't found any leaks either.

Why should they be consuming oil period !??!?!?!?

Poor break-in procedures will cause the rings to seat improperly. This will cause oil consumption.

rting
03-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Poor break-in procedures will cause the rings to seat improperly. This will cause oil consumption.

Can you explain to the new guys (like myself :) ) with the proper break-in procedure? Or should we stay with what could be in the owner's manual - which I will get when purchasing the car.

Many thanks.

Emission
03-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Can you explain to the new guys (like myself :) ) with the proper break-in procedure? Or should we stay with what could be in the owner's manual - which I will get when purchasing the car.

Many thanks.

There are countless opinions on how to properly "break-in" an engine. Some say "drive it like you stole it" from day one... others say "never exceed 3000 RPM until it has 4000 miles on it."

I tend to follow the owner's manual. Usually, this is a "do not exceed" a certain RPM for a certain number of miles - usually about 4000 RPM for 1200 miles. After break-in, let the car warm (oil warm) before you hit redline. This will extend the life of the motor.

Proper break-in seats the valves and rings - and improves horsepower.

F1Crazy
03-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Ditto.

As far as break-in procedure, like Emission said, there are countless opinions but the most important part IMO is to let the engine warm up under load (driving) before using higher revs and stepping deep on a gas. Also do not baby the car, after warming up use WOT as much as possible and shift at around 4,500-5,000 RPM.

Emission
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Ditto.

As far as break-in procedure, like Emission said, there are countless opinions but the most important part IMO is to let the engine warm up under load (driving) before using higher revs and stepping deep on a gas. Also do not baby the car, after warming up use WOT as much as possible and shift at around 4,500-5,000 RPM.

I agree, after break-in (and once the oil is warm) drive the car HARD. :thumbup:

Tominizer
04-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Trust me, I broke her in properly. This isn't he first piece of German engineering I've owned from new that has to be babied until she's warmed up.

Anyways, now I'm driving the wife's (now mine) 1999.5 Audi A4 quattro and I'm sorely missing the X5. She has the X now as we just had our second child a few weeks ago and the X is bigger and safer. So I gave it up................ :( On a related note, the Tiptronic in the A4 works better then the unit in the X. Gears 2/3/4 in the X are WAY too close together to even bother shifting through with the slush box. Although I understand they likely set it up that way because the thing is such a heavy weight lard a$$. Anyways, I'm now on a mission to sell the Audi Quattro and find a 5 speed again. The X was the first auto I've ever owned................. love the truck, no like the auto box.

Emission
04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Trust me, I broke her in properly. This isn't he first piece of German engineering I've owned from new that has to be babied until she's warmed up.

Anyways, now I'm driving the wife's (now mine) 1999.5 Audi A4 quattro and I'm sorely missing the X5. She has the X now as we just had our second child a few weeks ago and the X is bigger and safer. So I gave it up................ :( On a related note, the Tiptronic in the A4 works better then the unit in the X. Gears 2/3/4 in the X are WAY too close together to even bother shifting through with the slush box. Although I understand they likely set it up that way because the thing is such a heavy weight lard a$$. Anyways, I'm now on a mission to sell the Audi Quattro and find a 5 speed again. The X was the first auto I've ever owned................. love the truck, no like the auto box.

I'm not questioning your break-in procedure. Actually, after reading your post I am thinking you just have an issue with the engine (mechanical, not owner induced). You understand cars.

On the other subject, the X5 is the best slushbox I've ever owned. The Tiptronic in my '03 Passat sucked - it never knew what gear to be in. I'm writing that off as a bad match between engine (1.8T) and transmission. The four-banger works better with a manual.

Tominizer
04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah, our A4 is a V6 2.8. It's ok. The 1.8T with automatic is one of the worst combinations on the planet. A4 owners that set themselves up with that complained a lot. I assume the VW people were the same.

Back on the oil issue, it's just odd that there's so many BMW owners claim that oil consumption is normal and ok. There's quite a few high performance cars out there that don't consume oil (think Japanese). I'm still not seeing oil consumption as being an ok thing. I don't get it. I think it's shoody design or overtweeked tuning or something is wonky. Engine under normal conditions SHOULD NOT be consuming oil, especially when there's only 30K km's on the clock. I speculate that BMW-files and BMW themsleves are brainwashing people with hooey about oil consumption being okie-dokie. Then again, I'm no expert, so that's only my LAME-OO opinion. :dunno:

Emission
04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Back on the oil issue, it's just odd that there's so many BMW owners claim that oil consumption is normal and ok. There's quite a few high performance cars out there that don't consume oil (think Japanese). I'm still not seeing oil consumption as being an ok thing. I don't get it. I think it's shoody design or overtweeked tuning or something is wonky. Engine under normal conditions SHOULD NOT be consuming oil, especially when there's only 30K km's on the clock. I speculate that BMW-files and BMW themsleves are brainwashing people with hooey about oil consumption being okie-dokie. Then again, I'm no expert, so that's only my LAME-OO opinion. :dunno:

A good friend of mine has a '04 Infiniti M45 with about 6000 miles on the clock. It drinks oil (about a quart every 1000 miles). Others with the identical engine (Infiniti Q45, FX45, and M45) say the engine doesn't take a drop between changes. :dunno:

I don't think it is an engineering issue. It sounds more like an issue with your one engine.

If I were you, I'd document all of the oil consumption then start writing some letters if it really bothers you. What do you expect BMW to do - give you a new engine?

Tominizer
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
I want them to take back my 2002 X5 3.0i and give me a Z8 on an even swap :D

goodfella
04-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Have not logged in recently but saw this thread and thought I would share my experiance. Had a 2002 330i. Was consuming lots of oil. Every 2500kms oil light would come on. Then I had several other problems. Finally got the dealer to agree to take it back and sell me a 2003 with similar features. As I got a later model new I paid a bit on the exchange but I think I did quite well. BMW Canada wouldn't budge. They said that the oil consumption was within the norm and that their only responsibility was to keep the car repaired under the warranty.

Tominizer
04-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I use to have a 2000 328i. Word on the street about he 330i and motor was that it was strung out right to the end of the tuning envelope.

Jack Rice
05-17-2004, 07:02 AM
:thumbdwn: Any engine if properly broke in should not use oil between services. If it uses oil docuement the miles and each time you have to put oil in. The possibility of dealer replacement depends on the number of times the car goes into shop and the length of time in the shop. Most states in the US have lemon laws and the Feds have lemon laws based on case law. I'm not a lawyer, I'm a mechanic for the last 40 years and have built and repaired many engines. Engines should not use oil, they are all 4 stroke and do not need oil added to gas as a 2 stroke does.

crash8168
05-25-2004, 05:25 PM
There has never been an engine built that did not get some oil past the rings and valve guides. The question is how much is acceptable. BMW says a quart every 750 miles is acceptable. This is pretty much the industry standard for gasoline engines. Now if you go 15000 miles between services like the new ones do thats roughly 15 quarts between each service. a quart in 5000 miles would be considered an excellent engine under that standard. What you are looking for in an engine that is new using oil is crankcase vent problems, ring gaps lined up, oil getting past the valve guides or something similar. Generally with BMW that would be crankcase vent problems as the most likely culprit.

jaramill
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
What is the oem oil weight spec for a 2001 BMW X5? Do you use synthetic and if so how many miles per oil change interval?

Thanks,
Gio