PDA

View Full Version : Initial Zaino application

bimluva
08-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I have a fairly new car that I wanted to apply the Zaino sealer on but hesitant to use Dawn soap for initial wash to rid of the current wax. This what they recommend and they tell me that it defeats the purpose of applying the Zaino without the Dawn cleaning. Anyone with experience have any thoughts? Can't I just wash(with regular car wash) and maybe clay before I apply Zaino?
Also I happen to have a random orbital, if I polish the entire car with a mild polish would that serve the same as Dawn?I I figure this way I get rid of some swirl marks along the way.

Thanks

dpritchett
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
The real purpose of the (one/first-time only) Dawn wash is to remove any built-up old wax, polish, etc. on your paint surface. If you have a new car that's not been waxed, you will be okay without using Dawn. I did not use Dawn on my new 528i - I just clayed. Many people will tell you if you clay, the Dawn is not necessary.

Munich77
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a fairly new car that I wanted to apply the Zaino sealer on but hesitant to use Dawn soap for initial wash to rid of the current wax. This what they recommend and they tell me that it defeats the purpose of applying the Zaino without the Dawn cleaning. Anyone with experience have any thoughts? Can't I just wash(with regular car wash) and maybe clay before I apply Zaino?
Also I happen to have a random orbital, if I polish the entire car with a mild polish would that serve the same as Dawn?I I figure this way I get rid of some swirl marks along the way.

Thanks

Zaino is a sealant so it will not stick to any surface that has been waxed with carnuba. All the Dawn wash step is diong is to strip everything off. I usually spray my cars with Optimum Power Clean when I am prepping for waxing. If you have an all-in-one chemical cleaner - such as ZAIO or KAIO I think you would be fine. I am a bit OCD so I give my car a gentle isopropyl alcohol rub down to remove any remaining oils.

Ilovemycar
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks

Try some Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. It's been described as an industry standard, and detailers who have compared it to Dawn say it's no contest. Icing on the cake is that the CG doesn't have anything in it that can be harmful to the paint- the same can't be said for Dawn (though perhaps not as much of an issue with today's tougher clearcoats). I've read some detailers saying that sometimes double Dawn washings were necessary to remove LSP, but I've never read that about the CG.

But as mentioned, it only matters if there was wax/sealant on there to begin with, and if it's been long enough (where the layer was worn down/off), I bet the clay would be more than sufficient.

Clay removes wax, as does chemical paint cleaner, as well as the mentioned IPA. There was a sale at Amazon, the Sonax paint cleaner for $5, maybe for a week, but it's back up to $20 now.

thekurgan
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Try some Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. It's been described as an industry standard, and detailers who have compared it to Dawn say it's no contest. Icing on the cake is that the CG doesn't have anything in it that can be harmful to the paint- the same can't be said for Dawn (though perhaps not as much of an issue with today's tougher clearcoats). I've read some detailers saying that sometimes double Dawn washings were necessary to remove LSP, but I've never read that about the CG.

But as mentioned, it only matters if there was wax/sealant on there to begin with, and if it's been long enough (where the layer was worn down/off), I bet the clay would be more than sufficient.

Clay removes wax, as does chemical paint cleaner, as well as the mentioned IPA. There was a sale at Amazon, the Sonax paint cleaner for $5, maybe for a week, but it's back up to $20 now.

This. Dawn destroys rubber and plastic seals and outer stripping ... never use that stuff on the car, anywhere.