PDA

View Full Version : BMW News: Availability Announced of Snap-In Adapters for select Smartphones by BMW Aftersales!

Jon Shafer
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
BMW Smartphone Integration Snap-In Adapters

Apparently, someone's listening...

"(BMW) Aftersales has made a number of Snap-In Adapters available for select Smartphone’s, including Apple® and Blackberry® devices. For vehicles equipped with the Smartphone integration option, or BMW Apps, a snap-in adapter is required to dock a phone and utilize these options. For vehicles not equipped with these, a base plate and snap-in adapter may still be installed (except E8x 1 Series), albeit with slightly different functionality. The newly available Media version adapters for iPhone3GS & iPhone4 are necessary for full operation of the BMW Apps option (SA 6NR)."

For more information, please visit your authorized BMW Center.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=289710&stc=1&d=1313770481

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=289711&stc=1&d=1313770481

Peel
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
The article says that a snap-in adapter is required if you have BMW Apps. This is not true. BMW Apps works just fine with the iPhone's supplied cable. What the snap-in adapter provides is a signal boost by connecting the phone to the car's built in cellular and gps antennas.

graphicguy
08-23-2011, 01:00 PM
And, it doesn't increase the signal a significant amount (if at all). I bought one of the adapters from my dealer, and despite having a fan that's supposed to cool my iPhone4, the adapter overheated my iPhone. It's fried.

Fighting with BMW now to give me the amount a new iPhone costs (about $600 since my contract isn't up yet). This adapter isn't ready for prime time (and, they aren't cheap....$200...discounted). Be very careful if you buy one.

joestroll
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey I noticed on my 335 xi that the phones get very hot in there especially if you have the windows open and no A/C on. If however, you put the A/C a cooling air does flow from the vents in the armrest compartment. Sorry to hear about your iphone

graphicguy
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
joe....thanks for the note. Frankly, I had my iphone in the adapter, in the car with the A/C full blast when it fried my phone.....not once, but twice (which is why I had to buy a new phone without the contract renewell price). It cost me $600.

BMW region even admitted it's a common problem. But, I haven't seen a check yet. Still fighting with them.