PDA

View Full Version : Programming issues

Twinllamas
08-23-2011, 07:23 AM
I just needed to vent a bit... We picked our '12 650 vert up in June and were made aware, upon delivery, that the passenger side seat contact for the airbag was not working properly. The dealership ordered what they called a new seat mat. 3 weeks later when the part arrived from Germany, the car goes back to the dealership, and low and behold, it was the wrong part! So.... another three weeks go by and back goes the car to the shop. This time, they received the correct part but they cannot get the car to recognize the new mat. They are blaming the issue on the software they are using to program the car stating that, although it is the most recent version, it might not be correct for the 2012 cars... Hmmm. They have contacted the regional technical engineer to not avail. I'm getting pissed. In the Northeast, we have a limited window of opportunity to capitalize on a convertible and this has stolen 2 weeks of use! We have had a road trip planned to CT for the upcoming weekend but the dealership can't seem to get this sorted out. The dealership is bending over backward, but I'm pretty sure they are not going to "loan" us another 650 Cv for the road trip. Does anyone know of any recourse with BMW?

dkreidel
08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Is the issue the car will not recognize there is a passenger in the seat and the pass airbag would not deploy in the event of an accident? If so, this is indeed a serious issue! I'd contact BMWNA and find out if they can expedite repair or have one of he execs at BMWN in NJ give up his 650 vert until yours is repaired.

Sorry to hear about this, I had one of the first 640's in the US and had a lot of issues with programming - so many that I sold the car after 11 months. I'm a sucker for a pretty face - we pick up our 650 vert in Munich on Sept 5th

Good luck

Dick

Twinllamas
08-23-2011, 09:52 AM
The issue was/is that the seat does not know when someone is in the seat. They have tried to replace it twice, this time with the correct part, or so they say but they cannot get the cars computer to even recognized the new mat. Same symptom, different problem. In a nutshell, it's not perticularly safe to have a passenger in the seat which makes the point of a husband & wife roadtrip sort of pointless.. She's small, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to ride that far in the back seat. Talked to them this morning, still no resolution.. getting more pissed by the minute! :mad:

TopDownInFL
08-23-2011, 09:52 AM
What's the lemon law in NJ? If nothing else, threatening LL with BMWNA may expedite the repair process.

TopDownInFL
08-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Found it - http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lemguide.htm

Excerpt:

A new motor vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if it has one or more defects that continue to exist after three attempts at repairs, OR after the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 20 cumulative calendar days.

You're nearly there. Let 'em have it for another week and if it's not fixed, go to BMWNA - you have a case.

dkreidel
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I imagine BMWNA doesn't want you driving the car with the passenger airbags inop. I'd make a friendly, non-threatening call to BMWNA Customer Service and see what they intend to do about this - their ass is hanging out a mile with the potential liability.

I'd be pissed off too - very disheartening to learn of more programming issues in these cars :eek:

TopDownInFL
08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I imagine BMWNA doesn't want you driving the car with the passenger airbags inop. I'd make a friendly, non-threatening call to BMWNA Customer Service and see what they intend to do about this - their ass is hanging out a mile with the potential liability.

I'd be pissed off too - very disheartening to learn of more programming issues in these cars :eek:

Great point. Every day you're driving with your wife in the car, they are liable if she were to be hurt in a car accident. Make sure you have documentation from your visits.

Twinllamas
08-23-2011, 11:22 AM
PA law requires 3 visits for the same issue or 30 days of downtime. This sucks... We are having some of the most perfect convertible weather of the year.. Not too hot, not too cool... Just right and my car is sitting in a service bay! I talked to BMWNA and hey said they'd make a call to see whats going on. So much for a weekend road trip!

Twinllamas
08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Update: Regional Technical Engineers want the service center to check each and every wire to the seat... Really? BMWNA has offered to buy this vehicle back if the repair is not made by Friday. Nice touch... Not something I want ot do, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a vehicle that two people can ride in safely.. Stay tuned for more

gregb
08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
push them hard for a loaner vert in the meantime - even if they won't loan you a six, they should be able to come up with a three series vert as a loaner (I drove the 335is vert last week and it was nice and tight in sport mode)...! sorry about your troubles and best of luck

dkreidel
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Glad to learn that BMWNA is paying attention; i didn't think they could withstand the immense liability of inop airbags - much less an unhappy repeat customer.

Dick

Twinllamas
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
UPDATE: Spoke to dealership today. Still no direct help from regional technical engineers. I'm curious what they get paid for... All they'll do is tell them to do the same things over and over... My Service Adviser said that the techs are pretty frustrated with the lack of Regional support on this one. Called Jodi at BMWNA Customer Care and told her to take this car off of our hands... I was trying to give them until Friday but it's not going to happen. My concern is that they have no clue what the problem is and in the instance that they do get the computer to recognize that the new mat sensor is there, what guarantee do I have that the airbag is going to work in the event of a front end collision? Do I want to put a friend or loved one in that situation? Hell no! Better to let the car go and live to fight another day.

Twinllamas
08-29-2011, 08:27 AM
UPDATE:BMW Regional technical Engineer told them to put the old seat mat back in and program... UUhhh, OK... That's not a solution, thats a band-aid... They are telling me that the air bag light is now out... but wll the airbag deploy? That's my question. Airbag light was intermittant to begin with. It wasn't always on, just every once in a while. Came on, went out, came on, went out. Not particularly comfortable with this. I hope they don't exect me to drive it until they get a solution... 2 weeks and counting...

petriej
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
You are still dealing with this car? I'd run away at this point. I love the new 6 but this is ridiculous.

On the other hand, it is the first year for this model. I expect some craziness for that but this is too much, and on a SAFETY CRITICAL system, no less!

P.S. Just curious, but what is your line of work? You have a very respectable stable of BMWs! :thumbup:

Twinllamas
08-30-2011, 05:08 AM
BMW NA is working on a either taking the 650 off of our hands, (our preference at this point) or conpensating us for the the two months we have not been able to enjoy the vehicle. We are STRONGLY pushing for them to take the vehicle, but realize that may not happen. We have already touched base with numerous other dealers MB & Rover) to trade ALL of our BMW's should we not get satifaction on this matter. Not something we want to do, but push may come to shove and this is how we push back. I would think that being a customer who has purchased 6 BMW's in just over 5 years, they would want ot keep us hapy, but business is business and not everyone thinks the same way... We'll see

GreyCoupe
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Resolved?

Twinllamas
09-07-2011, 02:56 PM
No resolution as of yet... They have thrown a few options my way... New vehicle to be delivered ASAP or continue to work on the issues plaguing this vehicle and compensate us for the 3 months we have had the vehicle... I made a counteroffer and have not heard back as of now... Time will tell... Further updates to follow..

Twinllamas
09-16-2011, 07:14 AM
OK... Another update: We picked the car up last night after it being at the dealership for 4 weeks. Seriously considerd the "lemon law" route, but really didn't want this to drag on for 3 or 4 more months. They stroked us a check for the 3 months we were without the car even offered us another 650Cv. It would arrive in time for the snow to fly... No thanks. I love this car but I am seriously considering trading it. A 2012 750i xdrive is a much better choice for the northeast. I know better than to buy s first year car. They ALWAYS have bugs... We were advised the BMW has changed manufacturers on the seat mat sensor AGAIN. They have been made aware of 6 other vehicles with the same or similar issues. There is another mat enroute from Germany and should be here in a couple of weeks. I don't think they know what the problems is.. and that scares me. Time will tell.

Twinllamas
09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
The saga has finally ended. The dealership has installed the correct seat mat sensor and correct software toget the car to know whether or not someone is actually in the passenger seat. We strongly considered the lemon law route but chose to trade this and my 535 on a new MB S550
I wanted to make the sratement that Laurel BMW was nothing but stellar during this process. BMW NA on the other hand was pathetic. Not one call or email from "Robert" the mysterious regional manager. Nice work, Robert... you cost a dealership a lifelong client. Jodi at customer service was a little better but usually passed along info i alreadt knew Going on vacation and then looking at Range Rovers to replace my wifes X5. Maybe someday tge bitter taste will leave my mouth and we'll consider BMW again but no time soon. The sad part is.... I loved the 650. BMW NA.... Not so much! Cheers!

jettie1767
09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Two new cars for an MB S550 that is going to be replaced by an all-new model in a year? The S550 doesn't cost that much. Hopefully you walked away with the MB dealership writing you a check.

Twinllamas
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
535 held absoltlutely no value. Made enough on the 650 to cover the loss on the 535. We got a 24 month lease paying almost $1k less than the other 2 leases. We just wanted away from BMW NA for awhile. Had a face to face with the owner of the BMW dealership and expresssed my dissatisfaction with BMW NA, not his dealership. Giving MB a chance to earn my biz for a while. Bad taste right now with BMW. May be back in two years may decide to stick with MB. And a S550 isn't all that much? Seriously? This one approached B7 money.

GreyCoupe
09-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, there are lots of facets of your deal, and it is a lease which adds more dimensions. I just got $34K for a 2008 535xi, which I thought was decent.

MB makes a damned fine car. Appeals to a different buyer, but is very good at its version of luxury car. You'll like it.

Twinllamas
09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
They gave us $48k for it. Owed $56k on it. We only had it 9 months! Oh well!
First experience with MB. So far so good. Nice ride nice power nice technology. Well see where this goes
Still have her X5 so well see how they treat is after dumping two bimmers, one of which drive them crazy!

anythingbuttime
09-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Sounded odd to me as well. You hadn't mentioned you didn't own either car.

Two new cars for an MB S550 that is going to be replaced by an all-new model in a year? The S550 doesn't cost that much. Hopefully you walked away with the MB dealership writing you a check.

jettie1767
09-24-2011, 06:53 AM
An MB S550 isn't equivalent to the cost of a '11 535 and a '12 650i. I got $58k for my '11 535xi M-Sport which I only drove for 5 months and traded in for a '12 650i.

dkreidel
09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
As one who elected to trade my horrible 2004 E63 640 for a 2005 Merc E55 I understand exactly where the OP is coming from. :cry: The OP sounds like an intelligent person who knows what he is doing financially and for the well being of his family - cut the poor man some slack for Chrissakes!

It took me a couple of years before I got over the rude treatment from BMWNA on the 640 - they offered a "trade assist" but I was fed up with BMWs... I eventually got over it but I pray my 2012 650 - another first year car (and I know better too) - doesn't disappoint.

dk