PDA

View Full Version : Ripsnort - Best tool for drying


The BoatMan
04-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Ripsnort, too much confusion for me. Some say cotton, some say micro-fiber only, some say micro-fiber but only from yosteve.

What to use for drying after washing?
What to use for wax and polish removal?
Waht to use to remove griots speedshine for quick detailing.

Which is it? Help a newbie please! Jetblack 330ci on order. Thanks for the help.

johnlew
04-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 02330ci
Ripsnort, too much confusion for me. Some say cotton, some say micro-fiber only, some say micro-fiber but only from yosteve.

What to use for drying after washing?

Absorber and cotton bar cloth

What to use for wax and polish removal?

Microfibre and cotton bar cloth

Waht to use to remove griots speedshine for quick detailing.

Cotton bar cloth

Which is it? Help a newbie please! Jetblack 330ci on order. Thanks for the help.

Cotton bar towels are from Williams Sonoma, 6 for $6

Guest84
04-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 02330ci
Ripsnort, too much confusion for me. Some say cotton, some say micro-fiber only, some say micro-fiber but only from yosteve.

What to use for drying after washing?
What to use for wax and polish removal?
Waht to use to remove griots speedshine for quick detailing.

Which is it? Help a newbie please! Jetblack 330ci on order. Thanks for the help.

Everyone has their own opinion on what works for them. I used to use what John mentioned in his post for drying after a wash, and for wax removal as well.

Currently, what I've found great success with is the follow:
What to use for drying after washing?
I use a California water blade to remove 90% then I have 2 synthetic Chamois towels from Griots (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=15400)(One for the finish, the other for the bumpers, and rockers, this one gets dirtier the fastest, be sure to buy some Chamois cleaner and wash them every couple months)

What to use for wax and polish removal?
Polish Removal, I'm using these (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11115)

For Wax removal I use these (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005&SKU=11116)
You can get the whole set for $29 bucks here (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11001)

What to use to remove griots speedshine for quick detailing?
For quick detailing I use these (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005&SKU=14600)

Edit: Added links for the synthetic Chamois..also Meguiars has a very good micro-fiber towel too, though not as thick as Griots Wax removal towel.

in_d_haus
04-23-2002, 11:06 AM
For drying I use the Griots Dimpled Synthetic Chamois.

I bought a Cali Water Blade and used it once and promptly gave it to my folks to clean their shower with (BIG waste of $20)

For Polish removal and wax removal I use the Microfiber cloths.

The BoatMan
04-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Thanks all, appreciate the advice.

JPinTO
04-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
For drying I use the Griots Dimpled Synthetic Chamois.

I bought a Cali Water Blade and used it once and promptly gave it to my folks to clean their shower with (BIG waste of $20)

For Polish removal and wax removal I use the Microfiber cloths.

Water blade is fantastic for wiping shoer stalls with!

johnlew
04-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO


Water blade is fantastic for wiping shoer stalls with!

Use it everyday in my limestone and glass shower.

Guest84
04-23-2002, 12:02 PM
I was so impressed with the CWB on how it removed water on my finish that I bought a second one for the shower! :)

One thing I do before using it, is to wipe the edge clean with alittle alcohol and wipe it dry, then use it. This ensures that nothing it 'dragged' across the finish. I don't even go linear to the paint finish when using it, absolutely swirl-free using it this way, after all its surgical rubber, and the possibility of any contaminents(imbedding, getting dragged across the finish) are more likely in a towel drying method than it is the blade.

The BoatMan
04-23-2002, 12:57 PM
Any advice on the brand of wash mitt.....I see you advise to use a Chenille wash mitt. I see this DETAILER'S CHOICE CHENILLE WASH MITT one on carcareonline
http://www.carcareonline.com/chen_wash_mit_17630.html
Is that one acceptable or are there better brands? Thanks.

Guest84
04-24-2002, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by 02330ci
Any advice on the brand of wash mitt.....I see you advise to use a Chenille wash mitt. I see this DETAILER'S CHOICE CHENILLE WASH MITT one on carcareonline
http://www.carcareonline.com/chen_wash_mit_17630.html
Is that one acceptable or are there better brands? Thanks.

I've personally been using the brand at Pep boys. $3.00, and rotate them (I use three wash mitts, the "newest" one for the finish, 2nd oldest for bumpers and rockers, and oldest for the wheels). So far so good, no ill effects from the cheapy Chenille(and believe me, my Jet Black would scream at me if there were any wash mitt-induced swirls)

Nat Brown
04-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I've personally been using the brand at Pep boys. $3.00, and rotate them (I use three wash mitts, the "newest" one for the finish, 2nd oldest for bumpers and rockers, and oldest for the wheels). So far so good, no ill effects from the cheapy Chenille(and believe me, my Jet Black would scream at me if there were any wash mitt-induced swirls)

I thought I was the only one doing the three wash mit trick. I was a bit embarassed to mention it, but I'm out of the closet now!

Three Wash Mits! It's the WAY!

I use a fresh mit for the hood though. If a mit ever touched a wheel, I would never use it on the paint again, even after washing. My third mit is used to clean the edges around the wheel wells and the lip inside the well.

--gary

Guest84
04-24-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Nat Brown


I thought I was the only one doing the three wash mit trick. I was a bit embarassed to mention it, but I'm out of the closet now!

Three Wash Mits! It's the WAY!

I use a fresh mit for the hood though. If a mit ever touched a wheel, I would never use it on the paint again, even after washing. My third mit is used to clean the edges around the wheel wells and the lip inside the well.

--gary
:thumb: :thumb: Now you have to change your title to mine! (OCD Certified) ;)

Nat Brown
04-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

:thumb: :thumb: Now you have to change your title to mine! (OCD Certified) ;)


Osteochondritis? :dunno:

Guest84
04-24-2002, 10:37 AM
"Obsessive Cleaning Disorder" (Automobile specific) ;)