PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman hose nozzle rocks

Ilovemycar
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
I recently researched hose nozzles, chose a Craftsman fire hose style model at $17 each, bought several units, and gave one to my mom (she loves it too). I can't believe how excited I can get over a hose nozzle. I looked into the Bon-Aire II and their other variations, Gilmour brass, even the mega expensive Griot's, and I think I chose the best one for me.

Craftsman seems to have a lifetime warranty on everything; I've even read for their hoses too. You don't even need to bring the hose in, just cut off the label on it and bring it in.

It's so nice to be able to freely drop the thing, as it's encased in rubber. I am SO ENTIRELY SICK of cheap Home Depot/Lowes nozzles breaking on me all the time. It closes off by turning either way to the extreme. The super expensive Griot's system ($130) has an optional valve so that you can always maintain the same setting, but my nozzles have multiple duties anyway.

At its "soaker" setting, which I think is close to the extreme left when behind the unit, it acts quite similarly to a nozzle-less hose, for when I want to use the water-sheeting method when finishing up a car wash. Some time ago, after taking off my foam gun nozzle to be able to use this method (and getting all wet as a result because I'm too lazy to go the spigot before removing the nozzle), I tripped over the hose, and regained my balance, but unfortunately the hose's end hit the door and made a small semi-circle. I was appreciative that I had learned enough about detailing that I thought I could correct it 100%, but I'd say it's more like 97% all said and done. Only I know about it of course; I think the angle and lighting might have to be just right to find where it hit. Well anyway, this can't happen anymore with this nozzle, whew.

The soaker setting is also great for gardening (the revolver types never could do this right IMO), such as with tomatoes where you don't want to wet the fruits or leaves, just the soil.

For watering the grass, I used to have to unroll nearly the whole length of hose to reach the extremes, now it's not even halfway typically. This nozzle fires further than anything else I've owned, maybe it can go 20' when holding it high, I'm not sure there.

And there you have my novel of a review for a dumb hose nozzle that I love! :thumbup:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07169040000P?prdNo=22&blockNo=22&blockType=G22

galahad05
08-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Wow.

This is actually pretty interesting....but perhaps a bit off-topic for the e9x general forum?

Nordic_Kat
08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow.

This is actually pretty interesting....but perhaps a bit off-topic for the e9x general forum?

Well, to bring it on topic - I can understand the fascination. I routinely use 3 different hose attachments when washing the E93. There is the special nozzle that attaches to the foam gun, the shut off valve I use at the hose end - so I don't have to go traipsing back and shut the water off to change nozzles - and the standard rotary trigger nozzle to do the final rinsing. Not sure about the E90's, but with the E92 and E93's you have to be careful how hard you blast water at the A-pillar area or you end up getting little trickles down the inside of the window.

ILMC, glad you found a nozzle that does the trick for you. Can you attach your foam gun to it?

Ilovemycar
08-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Wow.

You're probably right. I do like posting in the detailing forum (probably the best place), but when Kat mentioned a Craftsman tire pressure gauge after I successfully helped slightly derail her recent thread (with great pleasure I might add), I figured I should post here for her, as well as others. After all, a lot of my detailing talk happens with NK and kurgan too. (We all own Space Gray, and even happen to use the same Dodo wax so far as I know, haha.)

I wouldn't consider posting this, or anything really, in the OT sticky thread because I'm afraid of what would happen to me! :eeps:

Well, to bring it on topic - I can understand the fascination. I routinely use 3 different hose attachments when washing the E93. There is the special nozzle that attaches to the foam gun, the shut off valve I use at the hose end - so I don't have to go traipsing back and shut the water off to change nozzles - and the standard rotary trigger nozzle to do the final rinsing. Not sure about the E90's, but with the E92 and E93's you have to be careful how hard you blast water at the A-pillar area or you end up getting little trickles down the inside of the window.

ILMC, glad you found a nozzle that does the trick for you. Can you attach your foam gun to it?

Why am I not surprised that you use even more hose attachments? :D Can you please tell me which shut-off valve you use, and anything else you might know about them? Thanks.

Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to attach my Gilmour to this nozzle. I believe that I'm going to use the foam gun a lot less in the future, on my BMW anyway. The reasons include: the car is often not very dirty (if it is, I'll use the gun), it goes through my Optimum soap like crazy (at least with the way I use it), I always have some protective LSP on, and I won't have to get over to the spigot to shut the water off as much. I'll always use two buckets, the nicest sheepskin mitt I own at any given time for the upper paint, and another mitt (likely a Meg's MF, or older sheepskin) for the lower parts.

Ah, to help derail my own thread, I forgot to offer my 2 cents in your thread, on the only tire depth gauge I've owned. Complaint #1 is how crazy greasy the whole little unit comes as. While I pretty much always use gloves, I think the stuff is finally starting to wear off. Distant complaint #2 would be that it would be cool to have more accurate measurements; for me it's like "oh it's just a hair below 5/32, or a hair above 6/32, etc". IOW, I wonder if there is an easy to use depth gauge that can nail it down to even finer increments, in the way that Joe's racing gauge can, if you catch my drift. I know, totally unnecessary, but it would be cool to see even the finest differences with left vs right, whether that's respectively for the fronts or rears. Here's the one I have, and I guess I can't complain about the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S448-Tread-Depth-Gauge/dp/B0002STSQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314249705&sr=8-1

dboy11
08-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I have three of them, that way each of the hoses have one. Yes they are great. You can also take them apart should a small rock get in one of the sprayers.

Ilovemycar
08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I have three of them, that way each of the hoses have one. Yes they are great. You can also take them apart should a small rock get in one of the sprayers.

Heh, yep I got three as well. I'll definitely hit you up if I get a rock stuck in one of them!

jfs356
08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Will have to check out the Craftsman nozzle, yes basic retail units sure break easily and fall apart with heavy use. Thanks for the info!

Ilovemycar
08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Will have to check out the Craftsman nozzle, yes basic retail units sure break easily and fall apart with heavy use. Thanks for the info!

Hey you're welcome. I got three words for ya: Lifetime Warranty, Baby! :D

At the rate my nozzles have been dying, at least the last several months, I think I'll have paid these three units off in well less than a year, and after that it should be money in the pocket. :thumbup:

Revelation19
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Yup!
I have a Craftsman Hose Nozzle (http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_07169040000P?keyword=hose+nozzle&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1). It's awesome. Great for washing cars because spray pattern can be varied from narrow jet blast to a very wide pattern. Can be adjusted to free flow without pattern or blast, which is handy when filling up buckets.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Nekomocha/hosenozzle-1.jpg

I use it with a heavy-duty large-opening shutoff valve by Dramm (http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12353-Heavy-Duty-Brass-Shut-Off/dp/accessories/B000HHQAQY). Other brands (like Gilmour) with standard orifice size would restrict the water flow to the nozzle. This Dramm shut off valve is beefy and has a large orifice which does NOT restrict water flow.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Nekomocha/Dramm.jpg

Also, quick-release hose connections (http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Brass-Hose-Quick-Connector/dp/B0008IT0GE/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1320378723&sr=8-24) provide ultimate convenience. Makes for quick swaps to my foam gun and vice-versa. I recommend attaching quick-release connectors to all hose devices, including both ends of the hose. It's one more time saving step.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Nekomocha/Connectors.jpg

Johnz3mc
11-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Whatever nozzle you use, it'll be elevated to a whole new level by adding the brass on/off valve and the quick disconnect connections Revelation19 suggests. I use them and I'll never have a hose without them again.

Ilovemycar
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
shutoff valve by Dramm (http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12353-Heavy-Duty-Brass-Shut-Off/dp/accessories/B000HHQAQY).

Also, quick-release hose connections (http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Brass-Hose-Quick-Connector/dp/B0008IT0GE/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1320378723&sr=8-24) provide ultimate convenience. Makes for quick swaps to my foam gun and vice-versa. I recommend attaching quick-release connectors to all hose devices, including both ends of the hose. It's one more time saving step.

Whatever nozzle you use, it'll be elevated to a whole new level by adding the brass on/off valve and the quick disconnect connections Revelation19 suggests. I use them and I'll never have a hose without them again.

Thank you very much for the suggestions Revelation19, or um thanks for spending my money. I just ordered both. :) And thank you Johnz3mc for the confirmation, it definitely helped to make my trigger finger very itchy. :D

Johnz3mc
11-04-2011, 09:27 PM
And thank you Johnz3mc for the confirmation, it definitely helped to make my trigger finger very itchy. :D

You're going to love the brass bits too. Every time you use the on/off valve to either shut the water off completely, or cut the stream way down do you have a controlled rinse for things like tires/wheels, you'll smile and wonder why you didn't get them years earlier.
Enjoy,
-John C.

Revelation19
11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
You're going to love the brass bits too. Every time you use the on/off valve to either shut the water off completely, or cut the stream way down do you have a controlled rinse for things like tires/wheels, you'll smile and wonder why you didn't get them years earlier.
Enjoy,
-John C.

Yes, the controlled rinse is super helpful. The Dramm shut-off valve is a "full-flow" valve which does not restrict water flow. As such, it enables the Craftsman nozzle to function well at very low and very high pressure settings.

thecushion
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Great info here. Thanks!!!!:D

AndrewBigA
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
holy dam i need this! good post!

Ilovemycar
11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Great info here. Thanks!!!!:D

holy dam i need this! good post!

Thanks for the nice feedback guys. The "brass bits" that the other fellows recommended, well I'll just say that I ended up buying yet two more male quick release connectors. (I got myself a second foam gun, this time a Griot's just to try something different, ok yeah it was cheaper; the Gilmour is pricier for a reason though. ;))