PDA

View Full Version : Alee, has the drought restriction been lifted yet?


Josh (PA)
04-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Our BMW is a mess, and I want to wash it, plus my Audi came back from bumper repair/detailing looking amazing . I actually feel bad about the water spots on it from the recent rain. It seems to have rained quite a bit recently, just wondering if you've heard if the car washing restrictions have been lifted or not. Before you mention 5 gallon jugs of water, I'm not desperate to try that route yet....

alee
04-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Far from over unfortunately. They're saying they may not lift it until the FALL. Ack.

Here is the most recent state update (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/subject/hotopics/drought/DroughtReports/ConditionSummary/DCS20020326.htm)

Here is the State Drought Info Page (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/subject/hotopics/drought/default.htm)

Of course, KoP is like a new universe, so your mileage may vary. :) (j/k)

If you'd like, I can come over and trigger some faults on your car, and then you can have Otto's wash your car for you. :D

ERK
04-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
Our BMW is a mess, and I want to wash it, plus my Audi came back from bumper repair/detailing looking amazing . I actually feel bad about the water spots on it from the recent rain. It seems to have rained quite a bit recently, just wondering if you've heard if the car washing restrictions have been lifted or not. Before you mention 5 gallon jugs of water, I'm not desperate to try that route yet....

You could do like my neighbor did...it was raining here in CT yesterday and as I got in my car to go to work I notice the guy next door is scouring his pickup with a long handled brush. I watched for a minute and sure enough he's using the rain water to clean his truck.

alee
04-23-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ERK


You could do like my neighbor did...it was raining here in CT yesterday and as I got in my car to go to work I notice the guy next door is scouring his pickup with a long handled brush. I watched for a minute and sure enough he's using the rain water to clean his truck.
LOL!

I prefer my 10 gallons of distilled water from the supermarket. My neighbors watch in disbelief.

The HACK
04-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
Our BMW is a mess, and I want to wash it, plus my Audi came back from bumper repair/detailing looking amazing . I actually feel bad about the water spots on it from the recent rain. It seems to have rained quite a bit recently, just wondering if you've heard if the car washing restrictions have been lifted or not. Before you mention 5 gallon jugs of water, I'm not desperate to try that route yet....

Try Meguire's Quick Detailer or Griot's Speed Shine. This stuff works wonders, lightly waterspotted cars, dirty cars...Whatever. Spray Quick Detailer or Speed Shine on your car, lightly wipe with 100% Cotten Terry, turn towel over and buff. That's it. 15 minutes the car is clean like it's freshly waxed.

Dr. Phil
04-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
Our BMW is a mess, and I want to wash it, plus my Audi came back from bumper repair/detailing looking amazing . I actually feel bad about the water spots on it from the recent rain. It seems to have rained quite a bit recently, just wondering if you've heard if the car washing restrictions have been lifted or not. Before you mention 5 gallon jugs of water, I'm not desperate to try that route yet....
Here's an excert from the drought page...
Use of any water for washing or cleaning of mobile equipment, including automobiles, trucks, buses, trailers, carts, wagons, railroad cars, campers and boats.
1. An individual may wash personally owned or leased vehicles with buckets or by hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shutoff nozzle for prerinse and rinse, not to exceed a total of two minutes spray time. Water use is limited to odd street addresses on first and third Saturdays of the month and even or no street addresses on second and fourth Saturdays of the month.


2. Water may be used by commercial car washes at the minimum rate necessary to ensure an effective wash.


3. Water may be used for cleaning of construction, emergency, public transportation or government vehicles if necessary to preserve the proper functioning and safe operation of the vehicle.


4. Water may be used for cleaning or sanitizing equipment used for hauling or vending raw or processed food, pharmaceuticals or vaccines, or for handling waste products.


5. Water may be used for the cleaning of new and used cars that are part of a dealerís sales inventory in accordance with restrictions contained in the regulations.


6. Water may be used by professional mobile wash businesses as part of normal business practices.


7. Water may used by nonprofit service organizations or clubs for fundraising activities by means of bucket or by hand-held hose with automatic shutoff nozzle for prerinse and rinse, not to exceed a total of two minutes spray time per vehicle.
SO have 2 addresses, open a charity, haul food, register as a professional detailer and used car lot...then you can wash every day.
:bigpimp:

JDC
04-23-2002, 08:30 PM
So I'm not the only sicko who has washed his car with bottled water b/c of the drought emergency. Took me 15 gallons. The reason I did this is b/c the hand wash place I took it to put swirl marks all over my car... I also do it at night so I don't draw any attention from the neighbors....

alee
04-23-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JDC
So I'm not the only sicko who has washed his car with bottled water b/c of the drought emergency. Took me 15 gallons. The reason I did this is b/c the hand wash place I took it to put swirl marks all over my car... I also do it at night so I don't draw any attention from the neighbors....
I kind of did it in secret a few times, like I was a fugitive. After my neighbor saw me do it, I gave up and went ahead and did it in plain view.

I can't seem to stop myself. :D

DevHead
04-23-2002, 10:40 PM
As far as I know, the water ban here isn't lifted yet either (I think it's been like 1 - 1.5 years) - ATL, GA. However I can wash it before 10am or after 10pm on ODD number days. =) I usually do mine at night.

Josh (PA)
04-24-2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by alee

If you'd like, I can come over and trigger some faults on your car, and then you can have Otto's wash your car for you. :D

Thanks, Al, Phill and everyone else I knew you'd have the info. FYI, OTTO's won't even wash my car because of the stinking drought emergency. According to the part that Phil posted "1. An individual may wash personally owned or leased vehicles with buckets or by hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shutoff nozzle for prerinse and rinse, not to exceed a total of two minutes spray time. Water use is limited to odd street addresses on first and third Saturdays of the month and even or no street addresses on second and fourth Saturdays of the month. "
I can wash my car as long as I rinse for 2 mins (who's got the stop watch) next weekend. Am I missing something?

Dr. Phil
04-24-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)


Thanks, Al, Phill and everyone else I knew you'd have the info. FYI, OTTO's won't even wash my car because of the stinking drought emergency. According to the part that Phil posted "1. An individual may wash personally owned or leased vehicles with buckets or by hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shutoff nozzle for prerinse and rinse, not to exceed a total of two minutes spray time. Water use is limited to odd street addresses on first and third Saturdays of the month and even or no street addresses on second and fourth Saturdays of the month. "
I can wash my car as long as I rinse for 2 mins (who's got the stop watch) next weekend. Am I missing something?
No your not missing anything...............but the neighbors will surely frown upon you:mad:

I wash my wheels at home with 2 buckets (do rest of car at DIY, w/ own supplies). I get the eye from everyone, they fet this :flipoff: in return :angel:

Mike 325xi
04-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by alee

I kind of did it in secret a few times, like I was a fugitive. After my neighbor saw me do it, I gave up and went ahead and did it in plain view.

I can't seem to stop myself. :D
Here's Al being carted off to ass pounding prison by the Wayne PD for violating the water restrictions. :yikes:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/images/arrest-1.jpg

Guest84
04-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Alee, if we begin now, we could string a continous garden hose from my house to PA...should take about 2 months, and I estimated that it would only cost $792 per mile of hose, thus 2500 miles, the cost is only $1,980,000. Maybe we can get a Gov't loan for "Save the Alee Bimmer Car Finish"?

alee
04-24-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Alee, if we begin now, we could string a continous garden hose from my house to PA...should take about 2 months, and I estimated that it would only cost $792 per mile of hose, thus 2500 miles, the cost is only $1,980,000. Maybe we can get a Gov't loan for "Save the Alee Bimmer Car Finish"?
LOL! :lmao:

Here's a question for you math and physics folks... how many gallons of water would you need to fill that hose completely with water, and how long would the water take to reach my house from Rip's house? :D

I'd hate to see Rip's water bill after that little "experiment". :D

alee
04-24-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

Here's Al being carted off to ass pounding prison by the Wayne PD for violating the water restrictions. :yikes:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/images/arrest-1.jpg
Damn, you have seen me before! :D

Does that go on my permanent record? :p

Dr. Phil
04-24-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by alee

LOL! :lmao:

Here's a question for you math and physics folks... how many gallons of water would you need to fill that hose completely with water, and how long would the water take to reach my house from Rip's house? :D

I'd hate to see Rip's water bill after that little "experiment". :D
It would be cheaper to just buy one of these......
http://www.atlantiswater.com.au/navbar/truck.jpg

Josh (PA)
04-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

No your not missing anything...............but the neighbors will surely frown upon you:mad:

I wash my wheels at home with 2 buckets (do rest of car at DIY, w/ own supplies). I get the eye from everyone, they fet this :flipoff: in return :angel:

Ahhh screw em, I'm moving in a couple of months and my neigbors deserve a big one of these: :flipoff: too. Alee, you want to come to my house next weekend and wash my err, I mean your car?

And Al, fyi a 1" hose 2500 miles long would hold 538,559 gallons of water... and no Rip's neighborhood pumping station wouldn't have enough pressure to overcome the head pressure required to go from sea level over the rockies... I think that plan just might be a little flawwed..:dunno: :p

EDIT: OK, I'm bored, the head pressure required to go from sea level over the 14,500" elevation of the rockies peaks would be:6281psi, but then you have the frictional losses of a 2500mile hose, it's still just not feasible damn it... :(

Guest84
04-24-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)


Ahhh screw em, I'm moving in a couple of months and my neigbors deserve a big one of these: :flipoff: too. Alee, you want to come to my house next weekend and wash my err, I mean your car?

And Al, fyi a 1" hose 2500 miles long would hold 538,559 gallons of water... and no Rip's neighborhood pumping station wouldn't have enough pressure to overcome the head pressure required to go from sea level over the rockies... I think that plan just might be a little flawwed..:dunno: :p

EDIT: OK, I'm bored, the head pressure required to go from sea level over the 14,500" elevation of the rockies peaks would be:6281psi, but then you have the frictional losses of a 2500mile hose, it's still just not feasible damn it... :(

LOL! Good thing I've been busy this morning, or I'd check your work! ;)

Josh (PA)
04-24-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort


LOL! Good thing I've been busy this morning, or I'd check your work! ;)

:lmao: , I was actually just doublechecking it now, because I fully expected one of the other bored engineering losers on here to check for errors.... We're all the same :D

Mike 325xi
04-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Al, there has to be one of these somewhere near your house that we can tap into without anyone knowing!!

http://www.greatrivereng.com/images/water/Shelbyville%20Water%20Tower.jpg

Mike 325xi
04-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)


Ahhh screw em, I'm moving in a couple of months and my neigbors deserve a big one of these: :flipoff: too. Alee, you want to come to my house next weekend and wash my err, I mean your car?

And Al, fyi a 1" hose 2500 miles long would hold 538,559 gallons of water... and no Rip's neighborhood pumping station wouldn't have enough pressure to overcome the head pressure required to go from sea level over the rockies... I think that plan just might be a little flawwed..:dunno: :p

EDIT: OK, I'm bored, the head pressure required to go from sea level over the 14,500" elevation of the rockies peaks would be:6281psi, but then you have the frictional losses of a 2500mile hose, it's still just not feasible damn it... :(
Well...if you start with 6000+ psi on a 40" main and gradually step it down to a 1" pipe a tthe peak of the Rockies you just may be able to maintain the pressure to get over the highest peak. But God forbid you have a leak!! :yikes:

But then again I am an EE so I know nothing about friction loss :dunno:

Spiderm0n
04-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by alee
Far from over unfortunately. They're saying they may not lift it until the FALL. Ack.



NJ is the same way... the whle freaking state is in an indefinate water emergency.

I took my car to a brushless carwash last week :yikes: . They didn't destroy it, but I think I will try the self wash next time, since there were glaring dirty areas after they were done.:mad:

Dr. Phil
04-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Spiderm0n
I took my car to a brushless carwash last week :yikes: . They didn't destroy it, but I think I will try the self wash next time, since there were glaring dirty areas after they were done.:mad:
Try my routine:

[list=1]
load supplies into car - 2 buckets, 2 mitts, shampoo, P21S towel, cotton terry, wheel sponge/brush
drive to DIY
put $ in and fill buckets (1 soap 1 clean) and wet down car
wash top half
rinse (hope there is some time left on machine)
wash rest of car
put more $ in and rinse car
dry car
wipe down door wells, etc. with cotton terry
drive home
detail spray to get "fresh" dust off
detail tires
put stuff away
do rain dance
[/list=1]

Its a PITA :bawling: But you have to do what you have to do;)

alee
04-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
:lmao: , I was actually just doublechecking it now, because I fully expected one of the other bored engineering losers on here to check for errors.... We're all the same :D
You forgot to carry the 2. :)

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an engineering diagram of a hose design that would work! :D

Granted, I don't think Rip's local water station would have enough water to spare for that "little" experiment. Even if you could fill the hose, that doesn't account for the water I'd need to wash my car! :p

Guest84
04-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by alee

You forgot to carry the 2. :)

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an engineering diagram of a hose design that would work! :D

Granted, I don't think Rip's local water station would have enough water to spare for that "little" experiment. Even if you could fill the hose, that doesn't account for the water I'd need to wash my car! :p

Hell, I have an unlimited supply in the form of glaciers., I'd just dip the hose into the White River that comes off Mt.Rainier(its in my back yard) then you'd have to find someone to generate enough suction at the end of your hose to draw the water thru, I'm sure theres no shortage of folks like MikeXI to generate that type of suction ;)

Dr. Phil
04-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
..... I'm sure theres no shortage of folks like MikeXI to generate that type of suction ;)
Rip shoots and scores.................it's a threeeeeeeeee pointer:lmao:

Guest84
04-24-2002, 11:25 AM
Thank you , thank you! (Shakes PM's hand, turns to Alee and bows deeply, turns to Mike and bares butt...)

Mike 325xi
04-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort


Hell, I have an unlimited supply in the form of glaciers., I'd just dip the hose into the White River that comes off Mt.Rainier(its in my back yard) then you'd have to find someone to generate enough suction at the end of your hose to draw the water thru, I'm sure theres no shortage of folks like MikeXI to generate that type of suction ;)
OUCH!! Could someone pull the knife from my back??

I haven't made fun of your Ripsack in a while now :mad: Have you Boeing guys won any fighter contracts lately? No...I didn't think so :lmao:

(nice shot though Rip!!!)

Guest84
04-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Hehehe!