PDA

View Full Version : Need help with how to detail brand new bmw??

philly273
09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
I special ordered my car in June and if finally came in about 3 weeks ago. Since driving it around, it has gotten dirty and I wanted to wash/wax detail the outside of the car and have no clue what products to use. This is my first bmw and I want to keep it looking new as long as possible. Any tips on products and techniques? Someone said not to wax it within the 1st year and only to wash with mild soap, is that true? Is car washing sponge and regular towel ok to use to wash and dry the car? Please help, any tips are welcomed!!

zkeeper
09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Well you HAVE asked an involved question...but there is help, and medication for this virus of clean cars. First go to www.autogeek.com for more videos and articles than you can count, keep you up way past midnight. But maybe some basic tips for you now:

Double check back with you dealer re: time, but your paint is baked and cured out enough to clean, clay and wax for the fall/winter months ahead. If you wish to wait a bit more then do so before harsh weather sets in for sure. You do need some protection on it now, and paint will continue to cure out even with some thin coats of wax.

Use a two-bucket method, one for a good brand of car soap, like Meguires or Griots, and the other bucket for rinsing wash mitt. Don't use dishwashing liquids. Get a good microfiber mitt, maybe two, one for the upper portions and another color for the dirty lower and side bits. A regular sponge is often too harsh--and some I have seen in the AutoParts places are also a bit harsh. Again reference autogeek.com. Rinse in clear water bucket before applying more suds from first. Use grit guards in bottom of buckets to keep the "griters" at bottom and off the mitt. Don't intro dirty water back onto the surface.

If the car is not reaaaaally dirty at times, you can use a waterless wash which is sprayed on, and gently wiped off again with several good microfibers. Car is clean again but best to wash it, as many have MISused waterless spray on washes, and merely move the heavy dirt around not knowing when to use it...and when NOT to. If its dirty,filmy, dried on dirt, then its time for the buckets.

Dry with a quality microfiber drying towel...autogeek has them, and Griots Garage makes one of the best with two hand pockets. It absorbs like a bomb and is tender on paint. Might best not to use just any clean towel. Microfiber is best. Even the ones from AutoZone would be better than your bath towels.

When finished, keep a sacrifice barrier of spray on wax on it maybe every week or two. It takes the abuse of washing & rainy days, and keeps your main wax layer protected. There are many good spray on waxes..but again Megs and Griots make very nice long lasting products. Spray on, spread around, buff off, with 2-2 good quality microfiber towels. Don't do this of course if the car is dirty, or filmed over--it intros scratch and swirl damages. Over time, you will get swirls, those tiny spidery lines seen when looking at the paint in the sun from an acute angle...but they, if not in the paint, will buff out with next waxing. If they get to the actual paint surface, then that needs some minor paint correction before waxing again. Once more, these regularly added sacrifice barriers help here.

This is very basic...but HOPEfully it might help at least get you started. Most folks just see the process as a real chore...but if done right, and maintained, then having it look great is fairly easy and NOT time consuming. If its a daily driver, well then its going to get some abuse out there...but it can be maintained with not a lot of effort.

BEWARE: as a Public Service Announcement:---this whole thing can get addictive. But so far our government has not banned it as a public health issue. :thumbup: Sorry for longer post, and best of luck with your new credit card charges...

3ismagic#
09-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Who ever told you not to wX your new BMW for a year is retarded. BMW paint is applied electrostatically and leaves the factory cured and ready for wax.

By all means find a wax you like and put a couple coats on.

CGdetailing
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Check out this detailing guide for more info.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

jfs356
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
In the old, old days you were not supposed to wax a car for 60-90 days, because the paint was still curing. Even today when you repaint a car they recommend no wax for at least 30 days. But factory two part (base coat/clear coat) paints are ready to be waxed by the time you buy the car.

chris328
09-10-2011, 08:45 AM
i picked up my new car last weekend and it was basically just washed. it also had some shallow scratches here and there. i brought it home and washed and clayed it, then went over it with a light polish using a DA polisher to "wake up" the paint. then applied glaze and sealant.

TOGWT
09-11-2011, 03:40 AM
TOGWT Detailing Articles (Index & Hyperlinks) - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136815-togwt%AE-detailing-articles-index-hyperlinks.html?daysprune=45