PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Confusion

Driver4
09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm looking for a set of winter rims / tires for my 2010 535i GT. I have the sport package so the factory rims are 19'' with staggered RFT's. One of the local dealers suggests Pirelli 245/50/18 all around. Tire Rack claims the calipers are too large to handle 18'' rims and I need to stick to a 19''. Anyone have experience with a decent winter setup? I regrettably went without a winter set last season and don't want to do it again.
Considering the following:
Michelin 255/45/19 (non RFT) on Avarus AV7 rims

Any insight appreciated.

jadnashuanh
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
FWIW, the specs on the BMWUSA webpage do not say that the brakes are different when you opt for the sport package, only the wheels/tires/suspension (and a few other non-tire related things). I'd call the dealer to verify, but I'd guess the stock 18" wheels would fit. I bought a package for my non-sport 535i-xdrive with Michelin Arctic Alpin PA2 run-flats on Enkei (sp?) wheels.

rsingh111
09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I used these for my 2009 750 and then my 2010 55gt. Work great
245/45R19 Michelin X-Ice Xi2
19X8.5 5-120 ET30 ASA JH8

*dima*
09-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I am struggling with ordering winter tires for the sport package (550 GT) myself.
In general, downsizing for winter wheels is recommended so 18" seems to be a good idea.
However, I looked at the wheels, and there is very little space to downsize. Rotors leave enough space, but the large brake calipers may not fit in 18". Before buying a winter setup, can you try on an 18" wheel at the tire dealer?
In any case, please let us know what you decide!

jadnashuanh
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Not every wheel is constructed the same, so finding one that fits properly is critical. Just like the bolt pattern, the offsets and width are critical. You really need to talk to your service rep at the dealer. My guess is that since 18" wheels are listed and standard on the GT that an 18" BMW wheel would fit. Aftermarket, who knows, but if TireRack says no, they probably know what they're talking about (but it could only be the fact they're aftermarket - a BMW wheel may fit). But, it is an expensive proposition to find out otherwise! My vehicle came with 18" wheels, and I bought 18" winter tires and wheels for it. I haven't installed them yet as it's still too warm. If you get the sport package with x-drive, they don't use different sized wheels, so this leads me to believe the 18" ones will fit. Do the specs say that the brakes are different with the sport package? I looked, but did not see that discussed. Keep in mind that going from 19" to 18" means 0.5" difference inside and outside of the wheel height (but the tire diameter stays the same assuming you choose the right sized tire).

ameritrades
09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I have a Brand New take off set of 18" OEM GT wheels, Tires & Sensors off a 2011 GT (with the pre Sept 2010 build sensors). The tires are the facory All Seasons. I am quite certain the factory 18" fits all GT Models yet I can verify at BMW.
If anyone is interested let me know.

Driver4
09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I finally received confirmation from BMW that you can downsize to 18'' wheels with the sport package and this is in fact what their winter tire package offers this year for the GT.
I don't have xdrive so I'll go with the winter 18's to get all the help I can for a Chicago winter. I'm still deciding between RFT or not for the winter setup.

Uriah
10-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a Brand New take off set of 18" OEM GT wheels, Tires & Sensors off a 2011 GT (with the pre Sept 2010 build sensors). The tires are the facory All Seasons. I am quite certain the factory 18" fits all GT Models yet I can verify at BMW.
If anyone is interested let me know.

Might be interested... Fair to assume the old sensors wont work with the car?

jadnashuanh
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
FWIW, the BMWUSA website now lists a winter tire/wheel package with Dunlop RFT in a minus 1 sizing; i.e., 17" wheels and tires. The taller the tire, the less prone to damage, and with winter tires, slightly narrower gives better bite rather than floating. So, it appears, that at least with the right wheel, you could put 17" ones on a GT, at least the 535. Didn't look at the 550, though. The 17" tires are easier to find, less expensive, and there are more choices. If I hadn't already bought a set, I may have considered that.

jm535gt
12-13-2011, 08:05 AM
I bought the 17" setup from Tire Rack. Rial Salerno (German Made) wheels with BMW center caps, Bridgestone OEM BMW 17 225 55 Runflats. Price was much less than the BMW 17" setup or 18" Tire Rack or BMW setup. If I did it again, I think that I would have ordered 17 245 55 tires which are also available.

The car drives great, looks pretty good for winter wheels. I do not like huge low profile tires anyhow, look wise or handling wise.