PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Car Icon

dhunt
09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
On my I-Drive screen I periodically see a yellow car icon between the Phone indicator and outdoor temperature. I looked through the manual and it said something about reviewing messages on the data screen in I-Drive. But when I go there, everything looks normal. Anybody know what this indicator is trying to tell me?

thecandidate
09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
do you have service that is about due? for me when service is about due the yellow car is on. once you go over the service the car becomes red ...

1bad540
09-08-2011, 09:20 AM
click on the little car that looks like its on a lift, that should tell you.:thumbup:

maninawhitecar
09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
mine did same thing when i had a front air bag fault. the warning might come up when you first start the car in the speedometer display as well!

csmeance
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
On my I-Drive screen I periodically see a yellow car icon between the Phone indicator and outdoor temperature. I looked through the manual and it said something about reviewing messages on the data screen in I-Drive. But when I go there, everything looks normal. Anybody know what this indicator is trying to tell me?

go to your northeast corner in idrive and you should see the stuff on the side bar for check and for any stuff that's due. If there is an error there or something due it should be in there.

dhunt
09-09-2011, 10:24 PM
go to your northeast corner in idrive and you should see the stuff on the side bar for check and for any stuff that's due. If there is an error there or something due it should be in there.

I did this, csmeance, but all I see is current fuel consumption, average speed, etc. I don't see any information on errors or service that is due. Is there an icon on this screen I have to depress to get to the information?

TannerSV
09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
If you hold the top button on the left side (i think it switches between Fuel level and how many miles left with that fuel) anyways hold that button for about 3-5 seconds and it will either come up with "Check OK" or it will tell you if you have an issue.

dhunt
09-09-2011, 11:15 PM
If you hold the top button on the left side (i think it switches between Fuel level and how many miles left with that fuel) anyways hold that button for about 3-5 seconds and it will either come up with "Check OK" or it will tell you if you have an issue.

Thanks, TannerSV. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

roadfrog
09-10-2011, 07:37 AM
I did this, csmeance, but all I see is current fuel consumption, average speed, etc. I don't see any information on errors or service that is due. Is there an icon on this screen I have to depress to get to the information?

CSMEANCE is correct, you're just not going far enough into the system on that page. Scroll down that screen (on the left margin) down to the bottom icon (I forget what the pic is), and push the button/wheel to select. THAT will bring up the list of service items due, etc. The items will either be green, yellow or red. In your case, probably a yellow item.

TannerSV
09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks, TannerSV. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

So, any luck?

dhunt
09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
So, any luck?

Yes, I pressed down and held the button on the steering column lever for about 5 seconds on start-up today and received an "all systems ok" message, with no yellow icon visible on the I-drive screen.

After about an hour of driving, with several stops along the way, I get back in the car and on start up, I get this "moderate overheating" warning in the instrument cluster, accompanied with a yellow car icon in the I-drive screen (in the past the yellow icon wasn't accompanied by any other message). So I slowed down, cut off the AC, but the warning soon changes to red, along with the red car icon, and instructs me to stop the car, which I do as soon as I can pull over. I don't see any visible signs of overheating. No steam. No smell or leaking.

I let my kids play in a park for about 45 minutes, get back in the car and restart. No warning messages or icons of any sort. I do another system check by pressing in the button on the steering column lever and it says "all systems ok." I keep the AC off, make one additional stop, check the system again (everything is OK), and drive home for about 5 miles (streets and freeway) with no incident or yellow car icon.

Faulty sensors?

I say this because not long after I got the car in May, I got a red "engine overheated" warning message under similar circumstances. I immediately stopped the car but also saw no signs of overheating. Playing it safe, I had the car towed to the nearest Stealership, who after a week of test driving and diagnosis was unable to duplicate the warning or find a fault in the system when the car was hooked up to their computer. They did recommend, however, that I replace the water pump since it had worn bearings. So I took the car to a highly recommended local indie about two months ago, who replaced the water pump, the upper and lower radiator hose, thermostat, and fluid -- just to play it safe. Since then, everything has been fine, despite 2000 miles of driving and much warmer outdoor temperatures than the 75 degree day we have today.

Any thoughts?

HerbP
09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Next time you see that the car is running hot, get out & check your cooling fan while the car is running. It sounds like you are starting to have a problem with your cooling fan.

roadfrog
09-10-2011, 07:20 PM
HerbP is correct. I've seen a significant number of posts where fans have gone ****-up on these cars.

dhunt
09-10-2011, 11:51 PM
HerbP is correct. I've seen a significant number of posts where fans have gone ****-up on these cars.

Could be. Hopefully, there won't be a next time anytime soon. But if so, I'll check.

dhunt
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Could be. Hopefully, there won't be a next time anytime soon. But if so, I'll check.

Thankfully, the car has yet to overheat again -- yet. But when is the fan supposed to run? I came home from a short drive today and opened the hood with the car running prior to parking in the garage. The engine was very quiet and I'm pretty sure the fan wasn't running. Is this typical? Shouldn't a system check tell me if there is a problem with the fan? FYI, neither of the two Stealerships or the Indie shop found any problems with the fan when they investigated my earlier overheating episode.

On another note, I did get the yellow icon again while driving last night, and when I held in the button it told me my oil level was at minimum. First time I've gotten this message since I got the car in June. So I immediately added two quarts of synthetic oil, about 3000 miles out from my next scheduled oil change. Is this normal?

HerbP
09-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Never add that much oil at one time. To much oil in these motors, is worse than being low! Only add oil, when the oil light comes on, says BMW. Then just add enough to get it above the minimum.

The fan motor can be checked with DIS or INPA if you know someone that has the cable & software. Mine would always work when cold, but fail when it reached temp. There is a 4 stage relay that can be tested for problems. The sad thing is the whole fan has to be changed when the relay fails.

Good Luck!

dhunt
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Never add that much oil at one time. To much oil in these motors, is worse than being low! Only add oil, when the oil light comes on, says BMW. Then just add enough to get it above the minimum.

The fan motor can be checked with DIS or INPA if you know someone that has the cable & software. Mine would always work when cold, but fail when it reached temp. There is a 4 stage relay that can be tested for problems. The sad thing is the whole fan has to be changed when the relay fails.

Good Luck!

Thanks. Will check it out.