PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/rim protection

chris328
09-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Are alloy wheels covered with any protective coating from the factory? Would it be a bad idea to use palmolive on new alloy wheels? I used palmolive on my old wheels and it didnt seem to hurt, but I have brand new wheels and I want to take care of them properly this time around. Can they be waxed or can u use sealant on them?:dunno:

bmw_n00b13
09-10-2011, 09:52 AM
There's plenty of options for wheels. I would not use Palmolive on wheels for the same reason that I don't use it on the car body: it's not designed for it and it's probably too strong (like Dawn).

I like the p21s wheel gel; as far as waxing there's a lot of options. Just look around on online suppliers.

chris328
09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
thanks, i was looking at the blackfire all metal sealant, do you think its possible to wax and then seal the rim similar to how you would on paint? also still not sure if the wheel comes with any coating from the factory?

dboy11
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Are alloy wheels covered with any protective coating from the factory? Would it be a bad idea to use palmolive on new alloy wheels? I used palmolive on my old wheels and it didnt seem to hurt, but I have brand new wheels and I want to take care of them properly this time around. Can they be waxed or can u use sealant on them?:dunno:

Yes your wheels are clear coated. Washing them with dish soap will not hurt them in anyway. But its not necessary to use dish soap any good car soap will do the same. For protection get a good wheel sealant, the one that I like is Poorboys World Wheel Sealant helps to protect the rims and reduce dusting and makes cleaning a lot easier