PDA

View Full Version : Best Orbital?

heathtx
09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna take the plunge and buy a RO. I rellay want it to ease waxing more than anything else.

Information I have read can be somewhat confusing. I have narrowed my selection down to the Griot 6" and the PC. I missed the 20% off pre labor day sale at DD, ugh!

Wanting information on which one to but and which adapter/pads to buy for wax application and removal. If you use liquid or paste wax, does it matter what pad you use?

Thanks for your help.

I have a Carbon black 550 and my wife has a red 328 convertible.

Wihelm G
09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
If all you're going to use it for is spreading wax, might as well get one of those $25 models with the 10" backer plate that accepts microfiber bonnets. For that limited purpose they are very functional.

POof540i
09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
You can also use Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant (http://www.ultimafinishcare.com/ult-1004-100.html) which is a wipe on walk away product. It takes all of 15 minutes to apply and provides protection for up to 6 months. It can also be used on glass and plastic without staining. A little goes a long way with this product. A small 4oz bottle will literally last you for years.

zkeeper
09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Investing in an orbital makes good sense...more fun actually. Both brands will be fine..the Griots just has a great garuantee and their orange & red pads are a tight cell foam which is great, last a long time if cleaned and taken care of. They do have a 15% sale thru Wed. I think [gotta check for myself on this...as I need some re-supply] and free shipping. I know they have a kit that can save quite a bit and has everything you need, plus a CD....good luck on your choice--both are excellent machines tho...;).

Munich77
09-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I am in the same boat - itching to buy a RO. My top choice would be the Griots 6 inch because of the life time warranty. I have used Griots detailing supplies before and love them.

As for pads, polishes, etc. quite frankly I feel overwhelmed by the options. I know Meguires' 105/205 is great as are the optimum polishes. Meguire's all-in-one Microfiber system looks great too.

Ilovemycar
09-22-2011, 09:13 AM
I am in the same boat - itching to buy a RO. My top choice would be the Griots 6 inch because of the life time warranty. I have used Griots detailing supplies before and love them.

As for pads, polishes, etc. quite frankly I feel overwhelmed by the options. I know Meguires' 105/205 is great as are the optimum polishes. Meguire's all-in-one Microfiber system looks great too.

Just go for it. You will probably start accumulating pads the way some people accumulate mf towels, hehe. Just start with a 6 pack I say, or maybe a dozen. 3 per color would be my starter rec.

If you ever work on any other car than the one listed in your mein auto, the 105 is great if only as a hand polish on door handles, jambs, bumpers, whatever. The stuff is awesome in this regard, I've probably removed a thousand fingernail scratches from vehicles. Then of course you can use it as a compound for larger panels of paint, and of course it's a system with the 205. That said, if this is just for the BMW, and your paint is in excellent condition, you probably don't need the 105. However, if you ever do any kind of scratch repair, it would be handy to have around for sure.

Next purchase I'm getting some Menzerna PO85RD from Phil/DD (I bought from him last purchase too). I'm not sure if I want to delve into the whole Aquartz/ironX/Wolf's/decon stuff. I am even less sure about buying some expensive nano coating, even if it would be great to put on wheel barrels, calipers, etc. Anyway . . .

With the 205, I advise working away from direct sunlight (that really goes for any polish), but with this stuff I truly advise wiping often, maybe every half panel, if not even more often. You will need an inexpensive but powerful light, or bring it out into direct sunlight to find missed spots of removal.

Here is the last time I polished the BMW, space gray like yours, only one round of 205, and one round of Dodo Hard Diamond White. Get a DA; the polish is 99% of a great look, the wax/lsp is the 1% icing on the cake. I believe I might be able to get even a finer result with the Menzerna, compared to the 205, well we will see. If someone was buying for bmw black paint, I'd definitely suggest going with the 85RD.

I have some (very) cheap loupes on the way for microscopic inspection. I didn't get the oft recommended 30x self lighting for a couple of reasons, and the strongest on the way is 20x.

Hey, did you know the Space Gray is probably the most color neutral of BMW paint? It reflects all light equally, and I've been told that at the Welt that have an exhibit called "What Color is Space Gray?". I think of that when I see these two photos separated by a mere few seconds.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/Ilovemycar335i/Dodo2.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/Ilovemycar335i/Dodo1.jpg

tjcin
10-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Porter Cable 7424! I have used one now for 2 years and it is an awesome machine. It applies liquid waxes easily and takes them off just as easily. TJCIN

heathtx
10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I bought a PC7424 abd it does a good job, kinda wish I had tried a Griot's, the higher torque will keep the pad spinning. PLus, I think the Griot's switch is in a better position.

The PC does a really good job, I applied a finishing polish and sealant on my 550 today.

Will put a coat of Collinite 845 on it tomorrow!

tjcin
10-23-2011, 05:31 AM
I have my PC out on loan to a co-worker who is also meticulous with his vehicles. He will soon be in the market for a PC, do you want to sell yours? If so, PM me. TJCIN

heathtx
10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I have ordered a new 6" Griot's polisher, I will post a comparison test to put this to bed (in my mind)

Chisum
10-29-2011, 06:15 AM
I took the AutoGeek detailing class recently and was able to use all the top DAs for 2 days.

I found the Griots to be the best all around DA. It has the most power of all the free spinning DAs is light and easy to handle.

The PC7424 is also a good DA but did not have the power of the Griots.

The Flex 3401 had the most power since it's direct drive but was heavy, expensive and can't be used for machine sanding.

The Cyclo Orbital was the smoothest orbital with it's counter rotating heads vibration is eliminated but it's heavy and awkward to use and you need twice as many pads.

My advice would be to go with the Griots, you can find them on line for less then $100 .

Chisum

heathtx
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
So, I first bought a PC and it did a good job, I was not 100% pleased with it, and I saw in the manual that I could return it within 90 days, no questions. I aranged to get a refund and ordered a Griot's 6" to compare. I know this question has been asked several times, so I thought I would post my findings.

Please do not think I am a PC or Griot's homer, as I offer a third person view, I do not like some Griot's products, some I do. I am not a big B&D fan either, but I have plenty of their tools.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad99/BudreauxPcat/polishercomparison2.jpg

I prefer the Griot's, it has more power, it fits my hands better and the backing plate is closer to the size of my pads. The instructions are clearer and the bail handle it easier for me to hold in position on vertical surfaces.

Revelation19
11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I started out with a Porter Cable, and although it's been a good machine, I eventually out-grew it. As I performed more regular maintenance on 3 family automobiles, I needed more power for compounding/polishing. I used to spend hours compounding/polishing my Tundra with the PC.

Now, its a much, much shorter time and effort using the Flex XC 3401 (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=12368&url=detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/).

In hindsight, I should have started out with the Flex. It's been an awesome machine, you'll appreciate the power when you're faced with a lot of paint correction.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Nekomocha/anw_xc3401vrg_03.jpg

TOGWT
11-04-2011, 04:08 AM
The eccentric offset or machine stroke is the distance from the centre of the machine to the backing plate mounting spindle and the ***8216;stroke***8217; size is the distance from the outside of the diameter to the centre of the backing plate mounting spindle. The backing plate mounting is off-centre, as the drive rotates centripetal (Latin for centre seeking) force moves the backing plate in an elliptical motion, to balance this motion a counter weight is fitted, which also to counteracts machine vibration

It is generally accepted that a smaller stroke leaves a more refined finish. An orbital with a larger offset (i.e. 5/16 - inch (8mm) compared to 3/16 ***8211; inch (5mm)) has a higher speed applied to the backing plate / pad, which translates to a consistent levelling of the paint surface

5/16" (8mm) orbit or eccentric offset;

***8226; Meguiar's G110V2, 55 dB, 6800 OPM, 4.25 amps, 5.5 lbs - approx US$ 175
***8226; Porter- Cable 7424XP, 55dB, 6800 OPM, 4.2 amps, 5.5 lbs - approx US$ 150
***8226; Flex XC3401VRG, 7.5 amps, 4.8 lbs - approx US$ 340
***8226; Metabo SXE400 - approx US$ 75
***8226; Cyclo Polisher, Speed: 3000 OPM - approx US$ 300

3/16" (5mm) orbit or eccentric offset;

***8226; Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, 7-Amps, 9600 OPM, 5.75 lbs 6800 OPM - approx US$130
***8226; Griot's Garage 3-inch Mini Polisher, 4.25 amps, 10000 OPM - approx US$90

heathtx
11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
The eccentric offset or machine stroke is the distance from the centre of the machine to the backing plate mounting spindle and the 'stroke' size is the distance from the outside of the diameter to the centre of the backing plate mounting spindle. The backing plate mounting is off-centre, as the drive rotates centripetal (Latin for centre seeking) force moves the backing plate in an elliptical motion, to balance this motion a counter weight is fitted, which also to counteracts machine vibration

It is generally accepted that a smaller stroke leaves a more refined finish. An orbital with a larger offset (i.e. 5/16 - inch (8mm) compared to 3/16 inch (5mm)) has a higher speed applied to the backing plate / pad, which translates to a consistent levelling of the paint surface

5/16" (8mm) orbit or eccentric offset;

Meguiar's G110V2, 55 dB, 6800 OPM, 4.25 amps, 5.5 lbs - approx US$ 175
Porter- Cable 7424XP, 55dB, 6800 OPM, 4.2 amps, 5.5 lbs - approx US$ 150
Flex XC3401VRG, 7.5 amps, 4.8 lbs - approx US$ 340
Metabo SXE400 - approx US$ 75
Cyclo Polisher, Speed: 3000 OPM - approx US$ 300

3/16" (5mm) orbit or eccentric offset;

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, 7-Amps, 9600 OPM, 5.75 lbs 6800 OPM - approx US$130
Griot's Garage 3-inch Mini Polisher, 4.25 amps, 10000 OPM - approx US$90

Maybe the title should read "Best orbital under $150"......

According to Griot's and Autogeek's website, the Griot's 6" has a 5/16" offset. Link to the page below.
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html