PDA

View Full Version : Considering 535i GT ED

iwantone
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
I am considering a 535i GT for ED with the below options

ZSP, ZCW, Side/top camera, sat.

Some questions
1. Any other options that are good value for money? I am severely limited by cost. Want to put together the best possible package with biggest bang for the buck.
2. I live in NJ and this will be my first BMW. Should I consider the Xi?
3. Is a December/ January ED going to be a problem? Weather? Any special considerations?

Appreciate any help and suggestions in putting together my first BMW.

jadnashuanh
09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Driving in Germany in the winter has special considerations - if you get stuck and don't have the proper tires (winter tires and/or chains), you can be fined a large amount. There's a discussion on this on the BMWUSA website that you should read. You can rent snowtires, but they are costly. x-drive does not exempt you from the specific tire requirements. It somewhat depends on where you plan to travel - if south into the mountains, then you'll want to get some, otherwise, it's your call.

The nav system is expensive, updates are too, but that combined with the HUD is a nice combination. I found it very useful getting around while there this past May. Resale value goes up (or at least retains more) with a nav. On the HUD, being able to switch to metric means no confusion on speeds and limits.

A good set of winter tires can go a long way to help you move around, but x-drive does more. Unfortuneately, it also eats into the efficiency even when you don't need it. My last three cars had all-wheel drive, and I prefer it. NJ is nasty at times in the winter, and it helps too with wet leaves, and water on the road.

Wardman
09-13-2011, 01:29 PM
2012 BMW 535i (xdrive or otherwise) includes the ZVP in the list price. That includes:

- Navigation
- Power tailgate
- Rearview Camera
- Garage door opener
- comfort access system
- 2012 includes auto dimming mirrors

To piece them together on a 2011 version would have cost you approx $5000.00 on top of the list price, plus, in my opinion, you would have gotten features you may not have wanted/needed. Make your dealer price out a 2012 for you and go from there.

The sports package gives it 19" wheels which are debatable related to needs/snow/actual performance, a sport steering wheel, and comfort seat. I added the comfort seat for $1300 vs the $2200 of the sport package b/c I did not want the 19" wheels.

I also added heated front seats for $500 vs $900 for front/rear/steering wheel heating. Peeps in the back can be cold for a few minutes :-)

HUD is nice, but I did not get it, and premium stereo was also opted out as the base stereo is very nice.

Wardman

11gt535
09-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Lots of things close for the winter and don't start reopening until late March/April. Easter is a big date for when things reopen. That includes hotels, places to eat, museums, tourist attractions, etc. The sun will set at 4:30pm. Forget finding a beer garden. Performance tires (like those in the sport packages) are a no-go if temperatures are near or below freezing even if the roads are otherwise clear. BMW will deliver your car with whatever tires it would have gotten in the US even if the door out of the Welt has a foot of snow in front of it, so many folks in the Winter just hand the keys back and saw goodbye to the car right there.

On the other hand, overcrowded summertime tourist packed Germany is transformed into a picturebook winter wonderland. Some folks have posted great adventures on the ED forum here.

Dave600
09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
We enjoyed the HUD on our 535 xi ED. Looking forward to reuniting with it this Friday....been a while.

The comfort seats are wonderful, and my wife insisted on heating (which also includes steering wheel, but if you're wearing gloves, etc) and we got the sport package. Thought the larger wheels made it look a bit better. Good thing the rear camera is standard now, there's a bit of a problem seeing out the back; the radar helps a lot, too. We got the iPod integration as well, but not sure how valuable that was, yet. Not enough time with it, we were so busy trying to stay on the roads in the Alps that we didn't fool around with the entertainment too much ;^)

The Nav is fine, just one more set of quirks to learn.

Value-wise? Nav and heated seats, at the least. The new standards are pretty useful.

Good luck,

DV

Kamdog
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM
If I were putting a car together now, I would definitely add HUD to the nav. You would be surprised how often you use the nav, considering the traffic info that it comes with. You even use it when you know where you are going, and the HUD adds something special.

kashrahman
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
1) Hard to say which options are "worth" it -- they all have some value, the question is what is important to you. Many would argue a garmin is far better/cheaper; yet having navi builtin was really important to us. agree with the cameras -- they make parking and driving so much easier. Had I known the 2012s would come with the value package, I might have waited. We got our 2011 with several packages, mainly because we wanted 1 or 2 items from each package. I will say, from a driving enthusiast point of view, the sport package is definitely worth it.

2) I would strongly recommend the Xi.

3) as Jad said above, the only thing to consider about euro delivery is the tires. I did euro delivery in late Feb, for my 335 vert with sport package. about 32 degrees, occasional light snow. I drove in town only, about 50 mph max, assuming no active snow. I had all sorts of cars pass me, but I wasn't going to dare test the limits of the summer tires. I only drove about 50 miles and dropped her off. If you're planning on staying in town, public transportation, etc, then you probably can get away with it. but otherwise, i'd strongly recommend snow tires. and definitely get a set for home!

don't let this discourage you --- do euro delivery. you will love it!!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553848

iwantone
09-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Based on the above I am now thinking

2012 BMW 535xi GT

ZVP
- Navigation
- Power tailgate
- Rearview Camera
- Garage door opener
- comfort access system
- 2012 includes auto dimming mirrors

ZSP
- Sports steering wheel
- 19" with all season run flat tires
- multi contour seats
- shadowline trim
- increased top speed limiter

Other options
- Heated front seat
- Sat radio

Thoughts?

Wardman
09-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Guessing it should be around 62,000 list price. Not sure if you are leasing, but I did. Push your dealer to offer the same 2011 model year special for that car. They will do it if you are ready.

PS - add metalic paint probably for $550. Only no charge colors are flat white and black I believe.

Dave600
09-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Try out the HUD if you can see one at the dealer on any car. Pretty nice, keeps your eyes on the road, and I'd wager it will be on every car in the near future.

Helps with the NAV, too, I should have added - we liked to turn off the voice (we named her Helga: "If possible, please make a legal U-turn as soon as possible..."), so having the instructions show up on the windshield AND the NAV display made getting lost almost idiot-proof.

DV

iwantone
09-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Guessing it should be around 62,000 list price. Not sure if you are leasing, but I did. Push your dealer to offer the same 2011 model year special for that car. They will do it if you are ready.

PS - add metalic paint probably for $550. Only no charge colors are flat white and black I believe.

Do you mean the $3,500 build out cash? Did your dealer give you that on the 2012 ED?

Wardman
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Press hard :)

Told them I'd put 3500 down total plus fees and pay $789 (tax included) a month with 18,000 miles a year.

They got real close especially once they priced out the 2012 car and saw it was less expensive than everything they had in national inventory etc....

I found that if you back in to the total price of the special pricing (I think it is about $25,000 total before taxes) and then add the extra mileage money up front I will pay $31000 total ove rthe 3 years. Work from there.

Jeff

iwantone
09-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Told them I'd put 3500 down total plus fees and pay $789 (tax included) a month with 18,000 miles a year.

They got real close especially once they priced out the 2012 car and saw it was less expensive than everything they had in national inventory etc....

I found that if you back in to the total price of the special pricing (I think it is about $25,000 total before taxes) and then add the extra mileage money up front I will pay $31000 total ove rthe 3 years. Work from there.

Jeff

The above configuration comes to an MSRP of $63,575.00, ED invoice of $54,715. My dealer has offered me the car for $54,980 which is ED invoice + $265

With 12,000 miles/ year the residual is 60%, MF is 0.00195+0.0003 = 0.00225

Monthly payment with no down payment comes to $698.66/month including taxes.

Am i looking at it the right way? Any way to make this deal better? I just sent them a note asking for the $3500 on the 2012 ED/ Lets see what their response is..

iwantone
09-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Jeff

I see you are in Philadelphia. What dealer was this if you dont mind me asking? Also can you provide me a contact? Not too far for me...

Wardman
09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
private message sent

iwantone
09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Try out the HUD if you can see one at the dealer on any car. Pretty nice, keeps your eyes on the road, and I'd wager it will be on every car in the near future.

Helps with the NAV, too, I should have added - we liked to turn off the voice (we named her Helga: "If possible, please make a legal U-turn as soon as possible..."), so having the instructions show up on the windshield AND the NAV display made getting lost almost idiot-proof.

DV

The HUD seems like a good option, but I thin for the price conscious may be a little bit of a luxury...

Wardman
09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Are you convinced on the sports package? You could save 900 (about 25 bucks a month in payments when you look at $1300 for the seat vs $2200 for the sports) if you went with just the comfort seat.

I searched a lot of posts and found problems with the lower profile/runflat tires, and then the package only gave me the sport steering wheel which I really wanted, so opted out of it. I wanted more rubber between me and the road especially in our area with pot holes and such.... And the tires are not that much different - the rims yes, but the standard are pretty sharp themselves...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518954

Also - top end speed increaser... sounds nice, but what's it at now 150mph... :yikes:

Question - can you run my numbers in your lease calc? I think residual is 52% and it's 18,000 miles a year with 18.5K down/trade. Base payment, tax is 9% in PA.

iwantone
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Are you convinced on the sports package? You could save 900 (about 25 bucks a month in payments when you look at $1300 for the seat vs $2200 for the sports) if you went with just the comfort seat.

I searched a lot of posts and found problems with the lower profile/runflat tires, and then the package only gave me the sport steering wheel which I really wanted, so opted out of it. I wanted more rubber between me and the road especially in our area with pot holes and such.... And the tires are not that much different - the rims yes, but the standard are pretty sharp themselves...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518954

Also - top end speed increaser... sounds nice, but what's it at now 150mph... :yikes:

Question - can you run my numbers in your lease calc? I think residual is 52% and it's 18,000 miles a year with 18.5K down/trade. Base payment, tax is 9% in PA.

You bring up some valid points....can you give me your msrp and final sale price again?

Wardman
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks - MSRP $62325. I'm not sure what they dove in to for their final sales price but bet it was only $59K or so.

That's - ZVP, heated front seats, and metalic paint, and destination.

I fell good about my deal, but maybe there is more to work out of them when it comes time to pick up.

That said, I got them to agree to my trade in price now, and I'm still driving it for at least 6 more weeks (I know they were going to say value is down when came time to trade).

Wardman.

iwantone
09-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks - MSRP $62325. I'm not sure what they dove in to for their final sales price but bet it was only $59K or so.

That's - ZVP, heated front seats, and metalic paint, and destination.

I fell good about my deal, but maybe there is more to work out of them when it comes time to pick up.

That said, I got them to agree to my trade in price now, and I'm still driving it for at least 6 more weeks (I know they were going to say value is down when came time to trade).

Wardman.

This is not ED rt?

Wardman
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
correct - pick up at my dealer in PA.

iwantone
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
correct - pick up at my dealer in PA.

I get a payment of $423.44. I used the below numbers

MSRP - $62,325
Selling price - $59,000
Cap. cost reduction - $18,500
Residual - 52%
MF - 0.00195

with max MSD I get $384.11

Wardman
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
OK - I'm at $390 a month with 9% taxes ($358 without) so not such a bad deal.

THX!

BruceFerjulian
09-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Did an EDP in April on a ( 535i xDrive GT / Neptune Blue )

My options.

a. Cold Weather Package
b. Navigation Package
c. Camera Package ( Invaluable due to the small rear window, for parking. )

If I had to do this over again I would add.

a. iPhone integration

Even if money was no object, don't feel any additional options are needed.
I ordered the full camera package, not just the rear camera and I'm glad I did. Used every day while driving through tight streets in Italy and everyday here in the USA when backing into the parking spot each morning at work.

-Bruce-

Wardman
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Any decisions Iwantone? :D

iwantone
09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Any decisions Iwantone? :D

Well decided to get it..config i am thinking now -

535xi GT
Metallic (confused about colors)
ZSP ( was getting comfort seats anyways, like the bigger wheels)
ZCW (wife mentioned heated steering would be nice, was getting heated fronts anyways)
Satellite radio

HUD is a little rich for me...unless I drop the ZSP for just seats and the ZCW for just fron heated seats..

Am going to try and do a ED + PCW

Wardman
09-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Cool. I don't think I could do the ED and then have to wait for it. Kind of like teasing you just a bit :-)

Good lucj!

jadnashuanh
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
ED gets you a nice, no hassle discount on the base price of the vehicle, then you get to beat up the dealer for the total price. Since they don't pay any overhead or floor plan or advertising for an ED car, nor does it come out of their vehicle allocation (but they get credit for the sale), you can (or at least should) be able to negotiate a really nice price for the vehicle. Then, Luftansa has an agreement with BMW where you buy one ticket, and you get the second for 'free' (it isn't free, most non-US carriers invoke a fuel surcharge, which is not cheap), but it is refundable, changeable, and a nice non-stop into Munich from many places. If you were going to order the vehicle (rather than picking one out of stock), it really doesn't take any longer.

The BoatMan
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM