PDA

View Full Version : X3 3.0 vs Toureg V6

LeucX3
04-02-2004, 11:24 AM
I haven't seen too many comparisons between these two SUVs/SAVs. The Touareg costs a few thousand dollars less and is a little bigger.

It would seem to me that the VW is a better value, but has anyone done a back to back comparison between these two?

harplayr
04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Yes, before I got my X3 I tested both. There was absolutly no comparison on the handling between these two SUVs. The Toureg felt heavy and cumbersome when compaired to the X3. If you need the room, the Toureg is bigger, but I didn't need the extra room, and went with the one that I enjoyed driving more.

Desertnate
04-02-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't know if I would compare the two simply because of the size difference. I would compare the X5 and the Toureg, not the X3.

The Troureg is much bigger, heavier, and "off roadable" with the adjustable suspension and the selectable low gear ratio of the 4WD system. I would think a more appropriate, though not in the same class, comparison would be a Honda CRV, although from my inital look at the X3 at the car show, I think the CRV would have more interior space.

beware_phog
04-02-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't know if I would compare the two simply because of the size difference. I would compare the X5 and the Toureg, not the X3.

The Troureg is much bigger, heavier, and "off roadable" with the adjustable suspension and the selectable low gear ratio of the 4WD system. I would think a more appropriate, though not in the same class, comparison would be a Honda CRV, although from my inital look at the X3 at the car show, I think the CRV would have more interior space.

I agree. I actually don't think it compares with either the X3 or X5. It one of those bigger cars that is not really bigger on the inside...the way I feel about the X3 v X5. Interior space is same.

I haven't driven the V6 but "others" (the mysterious others) have said the V6 is under-powered.

chazmtb
04-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I have test driven both the Touareg and the X5 before I purchased my X5. The Touareg 6 cylinder felt slow, sluggish and just underpowered for such a heavy truck. I was quite disappointed by the handling and power, because there was so much hype about how it handled like a regular car. To me it felt like a slow V6 Toyota 4Runner. I really didn't test the V8. The X5 was much smoother and felt more nimble. Power was decent for the 3.0. It just felt quicker on all facets of road handling and acceleration. I did not test both cars off road though. To me, the VWV6 just does not have the low end torque as the Inline 6 of the BMW (even though the numbers are about the same). Plus the Touareg was about 400 lbs more.

I would have bought the Touareg if it was a little bit better handling. It's a good looking truck though.

kobraboy
04-03-2004, 03:04 AM
I have tried both and I felt that the Touareg did not come close to the X3. On the highway the touareg felt wobbly and it unwieldy. X3 was superb in handling. Frankly, I personally was shocked by the quality of the ride and price of the VW.

leeferna
04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Just tested all three (X3, X5, and Touareg) last week:
X3 - feels like my 330. Hard ride. Harder back seat.
X5 - 3.0 had good power. Great handling.
VW - V8 felt stronger than the X5 but there was some throttle lag (like a turbo engine), which was strange (maybe it was the transmission). More truck-like than either the X3 or X5. Definitely has the most luxurious interior.

Meiac09
05-09-2006, 05:03 AM
The VW is a huge POS maintenance hog. BUY THE EFFIN' biMMER!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

okay, rant over! :angel: