PDA

View Full Version : Polisher

BadboyzTn
09-18-2011, 06:00 PM
It's now time to buy a polisher. I have been reading up and reading posts for the last 6 months and had my mind made up PCXP. But I started shifting towards the Griots. If anyone has experience with both, can you please share your experiences or preference. Also, how are the griots products? I currently use alot of CG stuff and I am satisfied, just wondering how Griots stacks up. Can't beat the price for most CG stuff.

POof540i
09-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Do you have a budget? Have you considered the Meguiar's G110v2? Or the Flex 3401 VRG? Do you plan to buff other cars or just your own? It's kindof important because each machine has its place and fills different market niches.

The PCXP is known for reliability. It's great for buffing out your own cars, including your friend's and relative's too.

The G110v2 is known for power and its cruise control feature. Same benefits as the PCXP, but with more power and smoother operation.

The Griot's is known for its power and lifetime warranty. This one is good for doing jobs quickly, but it vibrates the most (so I've heard) and because of the lifetime warranty, you can buff as many cars as you want.

The Flex is known as the Ferrari of DA polishers. This one is the most solidly built DA and produces the quickest corrections. It's the quietest and smoothest.

heathtx
09-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I was faced with the same question. Infornation I read reveled that the PC and Griot's comments were about equal.

I bought a PC, seems like the suppliers of PC were willing to bundle many different pads and waxes/sealants etc.

Griot's stuff is nice, seems like there is more information out there about using the PC with different pads etc.

zkeeper
09-19-2011, 02:23 PM
You will find more opinions that people on product favorites. Having said that,:angel:I switched from Megs to Griots after 35 years??, and only use the new Megs Microfiber system for an extra, sacrifice top coat on the black roof of my 1er, simply because it is easier to remove with an arm that is a bit bummed right now. Otherwise, its Griots fully, for polish, their waterless wash [which is great stuff] the spray on wax, as it lasts longer. But all this is used after proper prep, clay, and several layers of best of show. Nope, not connected with them at all, but just like the system...and for a quickie, the speed shine is tops. BUT so are other prods. I like the pricing per oz, and especially recent free shipping.
And I have used LOOOT of microfiber prods, and theirs is some of, if not the best.

BUT if you like what you have, and it works..then stick with it. I think the key to detailing is using a system or products in proper order and process that gets the results you want. Then its always fun to try new things--so try 'em, and see. Thats maybe more of the fun if you like detailing than anything, except great results. AND IMHO its a fairly inexpensive addiction/entertainment...goodnight, I have gone over the top crazy.:eeps:

Ilovemycar
09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
It's now time to buy a polisher. I have been reading up and reading posts for the last 6 months and had my mind made up PCXP. But I started shifting towards the Griots. If anyone has experience with both, can you please share your experiences or preference. Also, how are the griots products? I currently use alot of CG stuff and I am satisfied, just wondering how Griots stacks up. Can't beat the price for most CG stuff.

I own both a PCXP and Flex 3401 VRG. If I were you, I'd pick a Griot's, because nearly everything I have read says it's more desirable than the PC, and* the Griot's sometimes sells for the lowest price of any reputable DA I have seen. Don't get me wrong, I like my machines, and am keeping them both.

I am happy to have the Flex to help me do some corrections more easily/quickly, but some might say that they can't quite get the highest level of finishing/jewelling (it's good enough for me on my own car though, if depending on product/pad/speed/pressure). It is known to have a "forced rotation", where even with quite a bit of elbow grease (read pressure), it won't slow down the way a PC would. It is made in Germany.

I worked on a couple of vehicles recently that kicked my butt, with how hard the paint appeared to me in combination with long term abuse. The thought of a rotary entered my mind for the first time. However, I would likely try some MF pads first on my units, before splurging on a rotary. Just thinking out loud; I don't recommend a rotary without a DA, and*, BMW black is probably the last color to warrant any such thing. As it is, I just have a boatload of foam pads, no MF, and no wool.

CG is a good brand. I just received a gallon of their citrus wash (intense/powerful wax stripping wash but is car friendly at the same time). The one product I question is their MF detergent; I'm not sure it really does anything besides giving the towels a bright, nearly neon look. However- I don't remember seeing them making any sort of paint correcting polish.

I pretty much only use Meguiar's 105/205, though I recently tried 3D HD UNO for the first time, and ok some other swirl remover someone gave me a sample of. One advantage of the UNO is that it's a "3 in 1", but the biggest advantage over the Megs imo is how much easier it is to wipe off, without anywhere near the dusting, nor the extremely stubborn oils (where wiping quickly is a must).

If I had to jump ship to yet other brands, the contenders for me would be Optimum (any), Menzerna (very particularly the 85RD), 3M, and perhaps a couple of other brands too I suppose.

BadboyzTn
09-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Mine and others. Budget really isnt an issue, was just comparing the 2 because I have read they are the easiest. While the reviews of the flex were great, I always seem to see those that say the pc or griots is better for beginners???

Do you have a budget? Have you considered the Meguiar's G110v2? Or the Flex 3401 VRG? Do you plan to buff other cars or just your own? It's kindof important because each machine has its place and fills different market niches.

The PCXP is known for reliability. It's great for buffing out your own cars, including your friend's and relative's too.

The G110v2 is known for power and its cruise control feature. Same benefits as the PCXP, but with more power and smoother operation.

The Griot's is known for its power and lifetime warranty. This one is good for doing jobs quickly, but it vibrates the most (so I've heard) and because of the lifetime warranty, you can buff as many cars as you want.

The Flex is known as the Ferrari of DA polishers. This one is the most solidly built DA and produces the quickest corrections. It's the quietest and smoothest.

Wihelm G
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Have you considered the Meguiar's G110v2?

+1. Lots of power, but easy and, in my experience, safe to handle. I haven't used the Griot's, but from what I've read and heard, it seems to be a very nice machine. I believe up until the G110v2, the popular Meguiars da' (G100) was a rebranded PC 7424. The PC7424XP increased their power after Meguiars came out with the G110v2. Good luck trying to find the G110v2-- I looked for one recently as a gift for someone and it was out of stock at my regular source.

Revelation19
11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Bought a Porter Cable as a beginner, it's a nice little machine. Later I had to upgrade to the Flex XC 3401 Orbital (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=12368&url=detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/). I needed more power to handle tough jobs where paint needed lots of correction, but didn't want take any risks with a rotary. I use the Flex exclusively now and have never looked back. High-quality, German-made, performance is awesome, reduces amount of time required to compound/polish significantly.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Nekomocha/anw_xc3401vrg_03.jpg