PDA

View Full Version : Jet Black 335 and PC 7424XP--What else do I need??

x26
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello,

I have a JB 335 with only slight micro-scratching that can be seen only in Sunlight that I would like to eliminate.

Car has never been Polished before.
I am a First time Detailor.

I'm going to get a PC 7424XP from Amazon for $118. delivered.
--What Pads and/or equipment do I need to get??
the PC 7424xp only includes a 6 in backing plate??

I would like to go with the 5.5 inch pads.--Where to buy them??

Thanks in Advance!!

Would Prefer using Meguiar's Products, ie., M205.

thekurgan
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
All the answers you seek are found here by searching, but with jet black, you need investment and lots of patience :)

x26
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
All the answers you seek are found here by searching, but with jet black, you need investment and lots of patience :)

Thanks.
Yes I searched and also read through the last few years of Posts.
My Question is: What do I need to buy besides PC 7424XP:

What 5.5 in Pads to pair with mequire's 205, etc.--I'm completely new to this that's why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks

heathtx
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
If you are locked to Meguiars, I would use their recommended pad for the polish.

I would also use Griot's pad if I was using their polish and sealant or wax.

If it's a car you drive every day, I would look to use a sealant. Even with a PC, carnuba lasts only a few weeks.

thekurgan
09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks.
Yes I searched and also read through the last few years of Posts.
My Question is: What do I need to buy besides PC 7424XP:

What 5.5 in Pads to pair with mequire's 205, etc.--I'm completely new to this that's why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks

I like the Lake pads, for my PC. I keep stock of 3 of each color and also like the Megs 205, but find the Megs 105 comes in handy as well. Menzerna's glaze worked well on my last black BMW, that may be good for your arsenal as well. Sealants vs wax, I'm a carnuba guy and like Dodo Juice hard waxes, they have many for dark colors over a sealant. You'll most likely need a good clay bar and possibly some iron cut as well. LOTS of microfiber towels and cleaning solution for them as well.

x26
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I like the Lake pads, for my PC. I keep stock of 3 of each color and also like the Megs 205, but find the Megs 105 comes in handy as well. Menzerna's glaze worked well on my last black BMW, that may be good for your arsenal as well. Sealants vs wax, I'm a carnuba guy and like Dodo Juice hard waxes, they have many for dark colors over a sealant. You'll most likely need a good clay bar and possibly some iron cut as well. LOTS of microfiber towels and cleaning solution for them as well.

Thanks for the Pad Recommendation...

I have all of the other supplies; MF towels, etc.
I've been a Mothers Wax fan since i used thier Polymer suppa duppa stuff...lol.
One of these days I'm going to try a Top Coat of carnuba.

Those Lake pads look the best-
-The Lake Country 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

With the M205.
Anything else??

thekurgan
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the Pad Recommendation...

I have all of the other supplies; MF towels, etc.
I've been a Mothers Wax fan since i used thier Polymer suppa duppa stuff...lol.
One of these days I'm going to try a Top Coat of carnuba.

Those Lake pads look the best-
-The Lake Country 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit

With the M205.
Anything else??

I keep in the supply, the chemical guys citrus wash, for when I do wax/LSP removal. 0000 steel wool, seems to come in handy or exhaust tips, Menzerna's Final Polish II seems to come inhandy, if you have black, I would seriously consider pure carnuba. Take a look at the Dodo offerings, on my Dad's jet black volvo, it was incredible. The water beads are so tight, and it lasts for quite a while.

noego
09-26-2011, 10:24 PM
get the Maguiar's Micro Fiber System - a two step polish D-300 and D-301 plus the 5.5 inch cutting pad and 5.5 inch polishing pad. total cost should be less than $80. the system was designed to be used with a random orbital. very effective and very easy to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBACx72h4g

Ilovemycar
09-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Hmm. I'll say that thekurgan was quite responsible in getting me to splurge on the fanciest wax I have, but I think he would agree that the biggest part of what makes the beautiful look is the polish. The LSP is the icing. Therefore, because you are making your first purchases, I personally would recommend concentrating on the polish stuff for now, and getting a "decent" LSP to protect it for now. I am banking on the fact that once you get it polished successfully, the bug will have bitten, and deeply, so we won't have to convince you of blowing the rest of your money on other stuff. :rofl:

I googled that kit, and I have a differing idea of how to spend it. Add 3 more pads, by getting two of these instead.

http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

With the $28 left over, get concentrate degreaser instead as your pad cleaner. It can also be used on tires, engine bays, etc. Only $16, and it will last 1000x longer than the XMT cleaner. So you still* have $12 left over, for plenty of cleaning brushes. So for the same money, get waaaaaaaay more cleaner, and 3 more pads. Here is a pad cleaning pictorial by the famous Todd Helme. (If you want to see crazy, check out his Ferrari orange peel wet sand detail.)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532946

I've never "conditioned" a pad, so I don't know what I'm missing- but what I do however is "prime" the pad- look up the Kevin Brown Method, aka KBM. He uses the flat pads though. I might consider those in your shoes, but that's just my guess/feel on what I would try with that color. Anyway, the priming would be my "conditioning"- after all, polishes have their own lubricants built in.

Back to the earlier idea, I am guessing you might want slightly softer pads than what most people use, because BMW black is notorious for being super soft (I wouldn't know, as I've never worked on it). Orange very well might be the most oft used pad color there is, for correction. However, I might say go with green instead of white, then red instead of blue, just out of being careful, with your color. Others can tell me otherwise, if I'm way off here.

I've even heard one detailer say that he can't finish properly with M205 on black. However, I can't recall what machinery he was using, and the PC is about as "soft" as you get. Hence, I'm thinking softer green (still with cut), and you can dial down speed and pressure some more if you think the jeweling can be improved. Kevin Brown as mentioned before took a DA (looks like a Meguiar's??) with ballpoint pens attached to them to show its pattern at different speeds, it was pretty interesting to see how the pattern changed.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/125074-porter-cable-xp-sanding-kevin-brown-method-2.html#post1328262

OTOH, Detailers Domain is a sponsor here, and there's always promotions going on. I've got both CCS as well as some uber pads. I like them all. I have a few Griot's red pads, but they sort of soak up too much for my tastes. I have a lot of pads.

I am quite familiar with M105/M205, think it works great for so many cars. Yours however, that's one that might be able to use something even finer than M205. My next polish purchase will likely be Menzerna PO85RD. It is more expensive, and is diminishing (as opposed to non-diminishing, a distinction I've been learning more about here just the other day). Which means "break down", more pressure, then light pressure for the finishing/jeweling. AFAIK.

Whew. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, not just any MF. The NICEST MFs for that car. Like Korean MF, and even better if also manufactured in Korea, absolutely no hot wire cuts, and even if you do that, fold the towel so the edges don't touch the paint. You have BMW black! :rofl: I might even consider looking at 70/30 polyester/polyamide rather than 80/20 or 75/25 and denser ones at that. Problem there is that the money can add up fast. I'd keep eyes out for sales. Read up on their care too.

Even if not BMW black, M105 on an orange pad can correct the great majority of paints out there no problem, so far as I know anyway. And after all, you said yourself the micro scratches are only slight. Therefore, I'm not sure I'd go the MF pad route- though I wish I had that system to try once or twice for what appeared to me as extremely tough paint. Aw heck, now I want to buy that system, haha.

Oh I almost forgot, though I've said it many times, I recommend taking off the M205 residue quickly. Unless buffing all day is a favorite pastime of yours (extremely stubborn oils- otherwise pretty user friendly imo). If willing to try other brands, I think the 3D UNO is very easy to use, but I am still very unfamiliar with it (didn't use it on own my vehicles) but it wipes off sooo easy- I'm not sure what it would take to get it to "finish" your paint though.

x26
09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Hmm. I'll say that thekurgan was quite responsible in getting me to splurge on the fanciest wax I have, but I think he would agree that the biggest part of what makes the beautiful look is the polish. The LSP is the icing. Therefore, because you are making your first purchases, I personally would recommend concentrating on the polish stuff for now, and getting a "decent" LSP to protect it for now. I am banking on the fact that once you get it polished successfully, the bug will have bitten, and deeply, so we won't have to convince you of blowing the rest of your money on other stuff. :rofl:

I googled that kit, and I have a differing idea of how to spend it. Add 3 more pads, by getting two of these instead.

http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

With the $28 left over, get concentrate degreaser instead as your pad cleaner. It can also be used on tires, engine bays, etc. Only $16, and it will last 1000x longer than the XMT cleaner. So you still* have $12 left over, for plenty of cleaning brushes. So for the same money, get waaaaaaaay more cleaner, and 3 more pads. Here is a pad cleaning pictorial by the famous Todd Helme. (If you want to see crazy, check out his Ferrari orange peel wet sand detail.)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532946

I've never "conditioned" a pad, so I don't know what I'm missing- but what I do however is "prime" the pad- look up the Kevin Brown Method, aka KBM. He uses the flat pads though. I might consider those in your shoes, but that's just my guess/feel on what I would try with that color. Anyway, the priming would be my "conditioning"- after all, polishes have their own lubricants built in.

Back to the earlier idea, I am guessing you might want slightly softer pads than what most people use, because BMW black is notorious for being super soft (I wouldn't know, as I've never worked on it). Orange very well might be the most oft used pad color there is, for correction. However, I might say go with green instead of white, then red instead of blue, just out of being careful, with your color. Others can tell me otherwise, if I'm way off here.

I've even heard one detailer say that he can't finish properly with M205 on black. However, I can't recall what machinery he was using, and the PC is about as "soft" as you get. Hence, I'm thinking softer green (still with cut), and you can dial down speed and pressure some more if you think the jeweling can be improved. Kevin Brown as mentioned before took a DA (looks like a Meguiar's??) with ballpoint pens attached to them to show its pattern at different speeds, it was pretty interesting to see how the pattern changed.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/125074-porter-cable-xp-sanding-kevin-brown-method-2.html#post1328262

OTOH, Detailers Domain is a sponsor here, and there's always promotions going on. I've got both CCS as well as some uber pads. I like them all. I have a few Griot's red pads, but they sort of soak up too much for my tastes. I have a lot of pads.

I am quite familiar with M105/M205, think it works great for so many cars. Yours however, that's one that might be able to use something even finer than M205. My next polish purchase will likely be Menzerna PO85RD. It is more expensive, and is diminishing (as opposed to non-diminishing, a distinction I've been learning more about here just the other day). Which means "break down", more pressure, then light pressure for the finishing/jeweling. AFAIK.

Whew. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, not just any MF. The NICEST MFs for that car. Like Korean MF, and even better if also manufactured in Korea, absolutely no hot wire cuts, and even if you do that, fold the towel so the edges don't touch the paint. You have BMW black! :rofl: I might even consider looking at 70/30 polyester/polyamide rather than 80/20 or 75/25 and denser ones at that. Problem there is that the money can add up fast. I'd keep eyes out for sales. Read up on their care too.

Even if not BMW black, M105 on an orange pad can correct the great majority of paints out there no problem, so far as I know anyway. And after all, you said yourself the micro scratches are only slight. Therefore, I'm not sure I'd go the MF pad route- though I wish I had that system to try once or twice for what appeared to me as extremely tough paint. Aw heck, now I want to buy that system, haha.

Oh I almost forgot, though I've said it many times, I recommend taking off the M205 residue quickly. Unless buffing all day is a favorite pastime of yours (extremely stubborn oils- otherwise pretty user friendly imo). If willing to try other brands, I think the 3D UNO is very easy to use, but I am still very unfamiliar with it (didn't use it on own my vehicles) but it wipes off sooo easy- I'm not sure what it would take to get it to "finish" your paint though.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Now i'm wondering if the Meguiar's M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish is too abrasive???

Do I need another polish AFTER the m205??? :yikes:

I thought i'd go with :
Wash
Clay
m205
Then my wax ???

Do i need to do something else inbetween the M205 and Wax??? :mad:

thekurgan
09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the detailed response!

Now i'm wondering if the Meguiar's M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish is too abrasive???

Do I need another polish AFTER the m205??? :yikes:

I thought i'd go with :
Wash
Clay
m205
Then my wax ???

Do i need to do something else inbetween the M205 and Wax??? :mad:

205 is nice, it should be enough. The 3 series doesn't contain the ceramic material used in some other models. Some people use a sealant in between the polish and a wax, but on black, especially jet black, IPA wipe down after the 205 and go to the wax.

x26
09-27-2011, 12:50 PM
205 is nice, it should be enough. The 3 series doesn't contain the ceramic material used in some other models. Some people use a sealant in between the polish and a wax, but on black, especially jet black, IPA wipe down after the 205 and go to the wax.

Thanks Kurgan!!

"Go in Peace to love and Serve the Lord"...:angel: