PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the Forum - ordered 535i GT

wchewbaka
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I have been on the fence for a new BMW to replace my 2001 X5.

The family has loved the X5, but I did not want another one as our needs have changed. I also got tired of buying all that gasoline for the 4.4.

I wanted a practical luxury car (but not SUV) with good gas mileage.

Got very interested in the 535i GT but balked at the 2011 price and the need to order the most basic features that are included in cheaper cars.

THEN I found this forum and the 2012 Pricing in the sticky...

When I realized the car that I wanted was now about $5K cheaper I took the plunge (never wanted to settle for a car on the dealer lot that would be a compromise).

I ordered an Imperial Blue with Grey interior, Dynamic Handling, Sports Package, Integral Active Steering, Cameras. None of the extra luxury or sound options - just driving and performance....

The fact that the ZVP Value Package is included in base and has the basic features you would expect for the price swayed me off the fence. Thanks for the price chart that showed the new ordering scheme and prices. The dealers are only interested in moving 2011 inventory and no one even mentioned the new 2012 pricing (they may not have been paying any attention, anyway..)

PLUS the willingness of my local dealer to come up with a good price....(thanks to BMWConfig.com for invoice data)

I am not concerned with the "purist view" of the car.

When I bought my 1976 2002 the purists complained about the square tail lights, big regulation bumpers, and new smog equipment.

When I bought the X5 the purists were horrified that BMW would EVER build a SUV and predicted the failure of this new luxury SUV market.

Purists are stuck in the past and do not understand the need to innovate and take chances in the marketplace. Purists are terrible predictors of the future.

So, thank you forum for the Sticky.

Now all I can do is track my car until delivery that I expect around Thanksgiving.

Cannot wait to drive my GT.

BTW, anyone know what tires will come with the staggered 19 inch style 235 wheels? I am concerned with rain and snow performance. The Michelin Diamaris that my X5 came with are great in the dry, but really suffer in the wet. Plus, I am very scared of the concept of runflats.

Capobranco
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I have been on the fence for a new BMW to replace my 2001 X5.

The family has loved the X5, but I did not want another one as our needs have changed. I also got tired of buying all that gasoline for the 4.4.

I wanted a practical luxury car (but not SUV) with good gas mileage.

Got very interested in the 535i GT but balked at the 2011 price and the need to order the most basic features that are included in cheaper cars.

THEN I found this forum and the 2012 Pricing in the sticky...

When I realized the car that I wanted was now about $5K cheaper I took the plunge (never wanted to settle for a car on the dealer lot that would be a compromise).

I ordered an Imperial Blue with Grey interior, Dynamic Handling, Sports Package, Integral Active Steering, Cameras. None of the extra luxury or sound options - just driving and performance....

The fact that the ZVP Value Package is included in base and has the basic features you would expect for the price swayed me off the fence. Thanks for the price chart that showed the new ordering scheme and prices. The dealers are only interested in moving 2011 inventory and no one even mentioned the new 2012 pricing (they may not have been paying any attention, anyway..)

PLUS the willingness of my local dealer to come up with a good price....(thanks to BMWConfig.com for invoice data)

I am not concerned with the "purist view" of the car.

When I bought my 1976 2002 the purists complained about the square tail lights, big regulation bumpers, and new smog equipment.

When I bought the X5 the purists were horrified that BMW would EVER build a SUV and predicted the failure of this new luxury SUV market.

Purists are stuck in the past and do not understand the need to innovate and take chances in the marketplace. Purists are terrible predictors of the future.

So, thank you forum for the Sticky.

Now all I can do is track my car until delivery that I expect around Thanksgiving.

Cannot wait to drive my GT.

BTW, anyone know what tires will come with the staggered 19 inch style 235 wheels? I am concerned with rain and snow performance. The Michelin Diamaris that my X5 came with are great in the dry, but really suffer in the wet. Plus, I am very scared of the concept of runflats.

Welcome to the F07 Forum! :beerchug:

Yes! - Dynamic Handing - worth every cent IMO - you will love it especially if you drive in a spirited manner - and who doesn't around here. You appreciate the value of the GT but you you also desire performance - you will not be disappointed. The GT is a Big BMW - but it drives small and is incredibly engaging. :D

BTW - don't be too concerned about the "purist" point of view on Bimmerfest. We of the FO7 brotherhood are an independent lot who are not ruled by opinion that is irreconcilably invested in the past. We are passionate BMW enthusiasts who are future oriented. Affirmation is always fun, and you will find tons in the wild.

I am sure anyone who actually owned a 2002 implicitly understands about
doing it his own way, and has very serious BMW Cred in my book. :thumbup:

Congrats on your GT - the coolest Big BMW :cool:

car-fan
10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the F07 Forum! :beerchug:

Yes! - Dynamic Handing - worth every cent IMO - you will love it especially if you drive in a spirited manner - and who doesn't around here. You appreciate the value of the GT but you you also desire performance - you will not be disappointed. The GT is a Big BMW - but it drives small and is incredibly engaging. :D

BTW - don't be too concerned about the "purist" point of view on Bimmerfest. We of the FO7 brotherhood are an independent lot who are not ruled by opinion that is irreconcilably invested in the past. We are passionate BMW enthusiasts who are future oriented. Affirmation is always fun, and you will find tons in the wild.

I am sure anyone who actually owned a 2002 implicitly understands about
doing it his own way, and has very serious BMW Cred in my book. :thumbup:

Congrats on your GT - the coolest Big BMW :cool:

Congrats on you purchase! You'll love the GT. As "Capo" alludes, "GT'ers" forge their own path regardless of the opinions posted by the naysayers:thumbup::thumbup:

Wardman
10-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Congrats on your new GT. My 2012 should be here in about 2 weeks. It looks like it will take about 6 weeks from deposit to delivery.

Excellent color scheme!

Ahhh - the tires.... They'll be Run Flats, so do some more research about tire insurance and such. You'll have a few more decisions left to make regarding risk/reward and spending about $13-1800 in case you get bubbles or a cracked rim.

magnumforc
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
The run flats seem to be dependent on driving, make and size. Most of the complaints I hear surround the 20" with fewer on the 19" and even fewer on the 18". Thus, it appears the tire sidewall ratio is the culprit; smaller sidewall dimension results in greater potential for damage, bubbling, etc. Goodyear Excellence especially and some Michelins have taken big hits as far as being noted as damagable; have not heard much about the Goodyear LS2 models having much troubles. Fewer iisues with all weather tires than summer performance tires.

In my humble opinion, it's a crapshoot. You gets what you gets on the vehicle unless you can switch them out with the dealer for something else. Or. get the dealer to share in the tire/wheel insurance. Which, incidentally, only covers road hazard damage. Or get the dealer to drop the price of the vehicle about $500 which would cover some part of a tire or two. (I did that on the last 328 and they went for it)

Look at your comprehensive and other coverage on your auto policy to see what that might cover. Collision deductibles are generally more than a wheel is worth, but probably not more than a wheel and tire. Comprehensive deductibles, if they will cover a tire and wheel, are usually pretty low if you buy them that way.

Finally, Discount Tire Co. sells a Road Hazard policy that will cover your tires, but not your wheels, for about 50 or 60 bucks a tire. Free replacements right down to 2/32 tread as I recall for unrepairable damage, which with run flats is any damage. Not a bad choice.

Cheers and best of luck with the new beauty!