PDA

View Full Version : BMW Apps

GreyCoupe
10-06-2011, 06:36 AM
I foolishly failed to tick BMW Apps when I ordered my new coupe. I obviously can't get my car to communicate with my iPhone re: BMW apps now. Is there a way to add BMW apps to my car after the fact? If BMW apps is software only, it seems like I should be able to add it like an update.

My dealer says no.

BMWNA says ask my dealer!!?

All the phone/bluetooth stuff works fine.

It is not all that sophisticated now, but I expect if it becomes popular subsequent versions will be really cool.

jettie1767
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I believe BMW apps needs something installed in the car. You can get most of the functionality thru a Y-cable plugged into usb (I think?) I don't find the BMW apps particularly useful right now except for web radio.

GreyCoupe
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks--I agree that it is not terribly compelling now, but with some development, might be very interesting.

Wish I had selected it.

XZLR8
10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I skipped BMW Apps on my order because I just don't see the point. And I know that I would never put my iPhone in a center console cradle, either, much less if I have to take the cover off it first in order for it to fit.

jettie1767
10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I have only used it a couple of times. Kinda inconvenient to have to plugin the iPhone in the cradle each time. Maybe in a few years the display info will be better. But right now, it's really not too appealing.

GreyCoupe
10-07-2011, 04:25 AM
I didn't realize the cradle was a requirement. I thought just USB cable. Thanks.

jettie1767
10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
If you get BMW apps, they will install the cradle. They no longer include a Y-cable but I asked my salesman for one which he gave for free.

Miggs21
10-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Are you sure about getting the Cradle with BMW Apps? I've got Apps but didn't get the Cradle.

Also, you don't need the Cradle to run BMW Apps.....it works through the USB connection in the glove box as well.

GreyCoupe
10-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I have it downloaded onto my phone, but the car can't see it. I figured the car must need the cradle to do something. Although I can't imagine what the cradle could do that a USB cable cannot.

Houston Bimmer
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
If you get BMW apps, they will install the cradle. They no longer include a Y-cable but I asked my salesman for one which he gave for free.

The cradle is seperate and extra. You pay $250 for the Apps and another $250+ for the cradle. BTW the cradles have a history of being crappy. I am on my second one in a week and it needs to go back.

jettie1767
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, the cradle is separate. It does more than just the y-cable or USB cable like use the car antenna to boost cell signal and I think play videos. Is the cradle slot standard or just if you ordered BMW apps?

RocX6
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM

I have this. When you order BMW apps, the car comes equipped with a console unit in the center compartment. You then need to purchase the proper cradle for your smartphone and download the BMW apps application. It is somewhat inconvenient to have your iPhone locked in the compartment to use this - and you do have to have the case removed to snap it in. The app has web radio from all over the world, runs Facebook and Twitter and plays your iTunes with cover art on the display. It also plays movies on your iPhone. It won't work through USB. As for the cradle itself, I'm on my 2nd and I'm not getting any sound with my music - iTunes or web radio, nor when a movie plays. Dealer suggests it may be the console itself. Will have it looked at soon.

HoustonBimmer
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I have this. When you order BMW apps, the car comes equipped with a console unit in the center compartment. You then need to purchase the proper cradle for your smartphone and download the BMW apps application. It is somewhat inconvenient to have your iPhone locked in the compartment to use this - and you do have to have the case removed to snap it in. The app has web radio from all over the world, runs Facebook and Twitter and plays your iTunes with cover art on the display. It also plays movies on your iPhone. It won't work through USB. As for the cradle itself, I'm on my 2nd and I'm not getting any sound with my music - iTunes or web radio, nor when a movie plays. Dealer suggests it may be the console itself. Will have it looked at soon.

I would make them keep trying new Cradles. I am on my second and it keeps going out, not problem with the USB. THe cradles are bad and if you look you will find lots of threads. $100k auto that doesn't work because they cant get a $265 cradle right. I plan on keeping changing them till we get this right.

patrick65
08-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Got a 2013 X5M coming in about 2 weeks. The salesman told me BMW Apps was a "must have" option so I added it. However, reading the threads makes me wonder just how useful the App is going to be. Oh well, guess I'll find out pretty soon. Regardless, can't wait for my X5M to arrive so I can duplicate the Autobahn test drive experience that prompted me to buy it (useful Apps or not) .

American BMW fan in Germany

Patrick65

pan
08-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Don't rush to get a cradle if you're thinking of an iPhone 5. The new iPhone is rumored to have a new and smaller connector which means all existing cradles would have to be replaced for a new iPhone. When the iPhone 4 came out it took around a year for the new cradles to become available. I would expect the same for this go around. USB connection is going to be better.

Patrys@BimmerTech
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The 6NR (BMW Apps) can be retrofitted in any F12/F13 with the Navigation and it does not necessarily require the cradle.
We can retrofit the 6NR either trhough the USB connection in the armrest or through the cradle even if the one you have can only charge your phone.

MELLOWYELLOW06
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I didnt get it either. Besides, Im not fancy like most folks here.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 ;)

svp66
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
There is a good BMW app that allows you to remote unlock your car, locate your car on Google maps (within a certain range), and maintains the send-to-car address option from Google maps (run from within the app itself). The send-to-car has otherwise disappeared from the Google maps options, the only way I could send an address to my car was via the BMW app ). I think the app is BMW connect or something along those lines, used to be available for Europe only, but has crossed the ocean for few months now (get it free from BMW apps in iTunes)

As others have said, craddle comes as an extra charge. Don't know if it improves reception quality (I imagine it would since it connects the phone to the car antenna). I use it mostly for charging on long trips though

southern6er22
09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Don't know if it improves reception quality (I imagine it would since it connects the phone to the car antenna). I use it mostly for charging on long trips though

It does. To what degree it does this, idk, but they say it does...

pan
09-05-2012, 09:13 PM
...The send-to-car has otherwise disappeared from the Google maps options, the only way I could send an address to my car was via the BMW app )...

You had me worried since it is a feature I use a lot when planning a trip or going someplace where i want directions. Send to car from Google Maps works just fine. You need to make sure you are registered with BMW Concierge service to have it available.

I just don't remember if this is accurate but I seem to remember that I had to log on using my BMW Concierge service account name and password to be able use BMW Remote app. If it is true then your ability to use Google Maps send to car function should work for you.

southern6er22
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't have the Concierce service, but I can use the send-to-vehicle function. I did have to use the account info for my BMW Assist account to log into the App.

ChrisF01
09-06-2012, 02:32 AM
I have only used it a couple of times. Kinda inconvenient to have to plugin the iPhone in the cradle each time. Maybe in a few years the display info will be better. But right now, it's really not too appealing.

Agreed, I also have BMW apps and never use it. I just play music via Bluetooth. Don't think twice.

5seriesHB
09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I think a lot of us fell for it at the time of purchase!
Never used it once!
So happy it was a must have item for me at the time
Lol