PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the convertible yesterday

TopDownInFL
10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I was VERY impressed with the car in person! The engine note was distinctive and attention-grabbing from the moment I started her up. Even on Comfort mode, the engine was far more powerful that my current 650 (and, to make the point - my wife said to me "I hope you never drive like that with the kids in the car" and all I did was step on the gas in a straight line).

The cabin improvements make it feel more spacious and elegant. And the iDrive screen is off the charts amazing!

I'll be test driving a coupe on Tuesday.

XZLR8
10-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. (How could you not?) I agree with all of your observations. I think BMW has really been making great strides with the interiors, as each new model is revealed. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the coupe vs. the 'vert.

TopDownInFL
10-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the coupe vs. the 'vert.

I'm a bit nervous... it's just going to confuse my decision. ;)

Elias
10-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm a bit nervous... it's just going to confuse my decision. ;)

You can't go wrong either way you decide!

Leslierc
10-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Just my opinion, I'm a sucker for a good looking convertible but I think the coupe is the prettier of the 2 pretty sisters of this family.

Sandlapper
10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
+1 with Leslierc:)

XZLR8
10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
+1 with Leslierc:)
Same here. And Sandlapper? That's a great shot of your coupe in your sig.

car-fan
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Just my opinion, I'm a sucker for a good looking convertible but I think the coupe is the prettier of the 2 pretty sisters of this family.

Yeah but its hard to beat the open air feeling of the vert. Plus that exhaust note is perfectly audible with the top down and/or ALL the windows down :D

Can't go wrong with either - decisons, decisions, :thumbup:

XZLR8
10-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Can't go wrong with either - decisons, decisions, :thumbup:
Yeah, if that's the toughest decision one makes all year, well, it's a good year.

Leslierc
10-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah but its hard to beat the open air feeling of the vert. Plus that exhaust note is perfectly audible with the top down and/or ALL the windows down

Could not agree more as the previous owner of three 6 Series verts, including an M6. I was just talking about the "looks department" which, of course is quite subjective.

pablo645
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow Nick, seems we were on the same wave length in checking out the new 6 :D. I went by the dealer to check them both out, the coupe and the vert again. The new shape is starting to grow on me but not sold on it yet. In comparing both rides I would have to agree with Leslierc that the coupe does look better then the vert. The vert looks good with the top down but the body lines of the coupe flows better to me. I took a couple of shots, also what grab my attention is the similarity from a distance of the 3 series vert and the 650 vert. :yikes:. Image 161 is the 6 series & image 162 is the M3 in the back ground, both pick showing the rear quarter. I am sold on the interior :thumbup:. It is top notch and the seats are definitely a great improvement. Unfortunately none of the cars had the optional Bang & Olfsen sound system because I would really would have loved to hear how it sounds. I heard it in the Audi A8 and its an awesome sound.

TopDownInFL
10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow Nick, seems we were on the same wave length in checking out the new 6 :D. I went by the dealer to check them both out, the coupe and the vert again. The new shape is starting to grow on me but not sold on it yet. In comparing both rides I would have to agree with Leslierc that the coupe does look better then the vert. The vert looks good with the top down but the body lines of the coupe flows better to me. I took a couple of shots, also what grab my attention is the similarity from a distance of the 3 series vert and the 650 vert. :yikes:. Image 161 is the 6 series & image 162 is the M3 in the back ground, both pick showing the rear quarter. I am sold on the interior :thumbup:. It is top notch and the seats are definitely a great improvement. Unfortunately none of the cars had the optional Bang & Olfsen sound system because I would really would have loved to hear how it sounds. I heard it in the Audi A8 and its an awesome sound.

I agree with all your observations. There are similarities between the 3 and 6 on many levels. I like the coupe's looks but still have a love for being "top down". :dunno:

Leslierc
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
On Motor Week this weekend they tested the 6 Series convertible...

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2012_bmw_650i_convertible/

petriej
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that as long as I live in CA (or any other sunny state) I will require a convertible. Whether it's an M3 or a 6er is yet to be decided :D. I'm a bit torn on the new 6er because they both look stunning. I've seen a few F12s in person but no F13s yet. Since they cost more than I make in a year, I can wait to make the decision later :thumbup:

car-fan
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
On Motor Week this weekend they tested the 6 Series convertible...

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2012_bmw_650i_convertible/

Motor Week seems to have managed the slowest posted acceleration times for the 650i convertible. Note the times listed by MotorTrend below, also note that Car and Driver managed 4.7 0-60 at 13.0/110 mph. These cars are quick and I agree with the performance figures listed by "MT". I can only imagine what it will feel like after Stage 2 software!

2012 BMW 650i Coupe

2012 BMW 650i Convertible

BASE PRICE

$83,875

$91,375

PRICE AS TESTED

$98,925

$102,875

VEHICLE LAYOUT

Front engine, RWD, 4-pass, 2-door coupe

Front engine, RWD, 4-pass, 2-door convertible

ENGINE

4.4L/400-hp/450-lb-ft twin-turbo DOHC 32-valve V-8

4.4L/400-hp/450-lb-ft twin-turbo DOHC 32-valve V-8

TRANSMISSION

6-speed manual Coupe

8-speed automatic Convertible

CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST)

4296 lb (53/47%) Coupe

4551 lb (51/49%) Convertible

WHEELBASE

112.4 in

112.4 in

LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT

192.8 x 74.6 x 53.9 in

192.8 x 74.6 x 53.7 in

0-60 MPH

4.7 sec Coupe

4.6 sec Convertible

QUARTER MILE

13.1 sec @ 109.5 mph Coupe

13.0 sec @ 109.8 mph Convertible

BRAKING, 60-0 MPH

110 ft Coupe

109 ft Convertible

LATERAL ACCELERATION

0.92 g (avg) Coupe

0.90 g (avg) Convertible

MT FIGURE EIGHT

25.3 sec @ 0.74 g (avg)

25.7 sec @ 0.74 g (avg)

EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON

15/22 mpg

15/23 mpg

ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY

225/153 kW-hrs/100 miles

225/147 kW-hrs/100 miles

CO2 EMISSIONS

1.11 lb/mile

1.09 lb/mile

MT FUEL ECONOMY

17.0 mpg

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/1109_2012_bmw_650i_coupe_and_convertible_first_tes t/viewall.html#ixzz1b9Qf6Bau

"money shot" for the coupe

TopDownInFL
10-21-2011, 02:05 PM
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the coupe vs. the 'vert.

Test drove the coupe yesterday. I liked it more than the convertible. Had a stiffer feel (which I would think would be expected since there is more structural rigidity in a coupe), the exhaust note resonated through the car (which I liked) and felt more like I was in touch with the car (I'm thinking because of the distinct lack of outside noise that comes through the convertible top to distract me).

I also drove a 640 today - definitely NOT the same car. While the 6-cyl engine is VERY respectable, it lacks the fluid effortless power of the 8-cyl and I immediately missed the engine sound from the first moment I started her up.

I have an offer in on a 650 coupe as I write this.

petriej
10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Test drove the coupe yesterday. I liked it more than the convertible. Had a stiffer feel (which I would think would be expected since there is more structural rigidity in a coupe), the exhaust note resonated through the car (which I liked) and felt more like I was in touch with the car (I'm thinking because of the distinct lack of outside noise that comes through the convertible top to distract me).

I also drove a 640 today - definitely NOT the same car. While the 6-cyl engine is VERY respectable, it lacks the fluid effortless power of the 8-cyl and I immediately missed the engine sound from the first moment I started her up.

:yikes::yikes:
:freakdanc

anythingbuttime
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I had no idea the 640's had hit dealerships.

Elias
10-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Can't say that I blame you one bit, I was on the fence between a 550i and a 650i, before I put my deposit down for the 550i. I took a nice hour long test drive in the 650i and I was smitten, there was no going back, I immediately went in to my CA and said I change my mind. I bought the coupe, even though I test drove the vert, so you could say I bought the coupe on faith, just hope I'm not disappointed!:dunno:

XZLR8
10-22-2011, 12:41 AM

Fantastic!

XZLR8
10-22-2011, 12:42 AM
I had no idea the 640's had hit dealerships.
I had that exact thought, too. I will be checking out my dealership this weekend...

long time
10-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Roadster - Only way to go in South Florida

TopDownInFL
10-22-2011, 07:07 AM

I agree, but there's something about the lines on the vert that just don't sit well with me. Perhaps I just need to buy one of each! ;)

GreyCoupe
10-22-2011, 09:46 AM
What position does your top spend most of its time in? Top up, coupe, hands down.

TopDownInFL
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
What position does your top spend most of its time in? Top up, coupe, hands down.

A bit of both, so it's a toss up. And looks of these cars do come into play for me. Oh, woe is me! :cry:

Elias
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Keep your top down in the summer in South Florida and your asking for heat stroke!:yikes:

XZLR8
10-22-2011, 06:53 PM
A bit of both, so it's a toss up. And looks of these cars do come into play for me. Oh, woe is me! :cry:
I live in Ohio, so our weather isn't as friendly, year round, to ragtops. One thing I love about the coupes, though, is the "open air" feeling you can get from the glass roof, especially with the windows down. It's all I need. Plus, I think you're right about the lines of the coupe being more appealing.

Hard to go wrong either way, of course.

car-fan
10-22-2011, 11:38 PM

I agree. I drove the coupe, played/listened to the B&0, but missed the the flexibiity of opening 5 windows and/or dropping the top. The Coupe drives well, but my personal preference is the convertible. Consensus is the vert resembles an Aston Martin - which is not a bad thing in my book - while paying homage (like the coupe) to the second Gen cars. You pays your money - you know the rest;)

long time
10-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Ragtop heaven right now in south Florida. I commute 30 miles in the morning and there is nothing better than starting the day by dropping the top. Night time in the low 70's or mid 60's - its some of the most fun you can have with your pants on.
As you are negotiating your next roadster don't forget to tell the salesperson you'll be needing a coupon for accessories - After i worked out a price, but before I signed the deal, I let it be know that they need to provide me with a special discount in the parts dept. I asked for 20% and they quickly provided a 15% off discount that I used for a wind deflector seen in the photo attached. No skin off the salesperson's nose and before you sign the deal you have some leverage.

TopDownInFL
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
UPDATE: signed papers this morning for a 650 coupe! Should be delivered this weekend!!!

petriej
10-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Sweet, so I can get your vert, then!? :D

Elias
10-26-2011, 06:31 PM
UPDATE: signed papers this morning for a 650 coupe! Should be delivered this weekend!!!

Awesome, man you don't play around, I'm still waiting for mine still about three weeks away!:mad:

TopDownInFL
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Sweet, so I can get your vert, then!? :D

Sure! Just head to Vista BMW this weekend! ;)

XZLR8
10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats! Details?

TopDownInFL
10-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Congrats! Details?

Since I'm more practical than I should, I only got options that I'd use or appreciate:

M Package
Premium Sound

White exterior / Black interior

Pretty simple car. I got the dealer to move about $5K and then $5500 from the rebates in cash and used the $1K loyalty rebate to instead get 2.9% financing ($1000 towards principle and the 3.9% financing would have cost me $1400 more over the life of the loan, plus, 2.9 is competitive with the banks).

XZLR8
10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Since I'm more practical than I should, I only got options that I'd use or appreciate:

M Package
Premium Sound

Pretty simple car. I got the dealer to move about $5K and then $5500 from the rebates in cash and used the $1K loyalty rebate to instead get 2.9% financing ($1000 towards principle and the 3.9% financing would have cost me $1400 more over the life of the loan, plus, 2.9 is competitive with the banks).
Can't wait to see pics...

Leslierc
10-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Well done...congratulations!:thumbup: You know the drill. We'll anxiously be awaiting pics!:)

Leslierc
10-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Pretty simple car.

HA! NOT!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Easy to say when you're seated at the head of the class!:)

masti99
10-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Congrats!

TopDownInFL
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
HA! NOT!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Easy to say when you're seated at the head of the class!:)

(blush) Sorry - didn't mean to sound pompous and all uppity. I meant relative to the possible combinations of options. While I like my cars (truly my only real vice), I'm pretty down to earth and, as pointed out, I sometimes forget my point of reference in the world.

Thanks, Leslie, for the slight kick in the pants. :thumbup:

Pics to come when she arrives from Orlando.

long time
10-27-2011, 11:13 AM

M Package
Premium Sound

Congrats on the new coupe !

EmM HoLLa
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

M Package
Premium Sound

I cant wait for a review! Congrats!

car-fan
10-27-2011, 02:06 PM

M Package
Premium Sound

Congrats on your purchase!:thumbup::thumbup:

gregb
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Ragtop heaven right now in south Florida. I commute 30 miles in the morning and there is nothing better than starting the day by dropping the top. Night time in the low 70's or mid 60's - its some of the most fun you can have with your pants on.
As you are negotiating your next roadster don't forget to tell the salesperson you'll be needing a coupon for accessories - After i worked out a price, but before I signed the deal, I let it be know that they need to provide me with a special discount in the parts dept. I asked for 20% and they quickly provided a 15% off discount that I used for a wind deflector seen in the photo attached. No skin off the salesperson's nose and before you sign the deal you have some leverage.

great pic - she looks sweet!! up here in Atlanta I've been enjoying my 30 mile commute with the top down, but since it's been in the fifties in the morning, I roll with windows up, deflector up, seat and wheel warmers on... perfect 70's on the way home :)

gregb
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM

M Package
Premium Sound

Congratulations Nick!! :thumbup::thumbup:
hard to believe you gave up the vert tradition, but the coupe does look sweet and the m-package does give it a little extra flourish. looks like you got a very good deal as well. I'm going to have a hard time waiting a couple of years for a CPO... :)

Leslierc
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
(blush) Sorry - didn't mean to sound pompous and all uppity. I meant relative to the possible combinations of options. While I like my cars (truly my only real vice), I'm pretty down to earth and, as pointed out, I sometimes forget my point of reference in the world.

Thanks, Leslie, for the slight kick in the pants. :thumbup:

Pics to come when she arrives from Orlando.

Just ribbing you!:) Looking forward to the pics and your assessment of the new coupe! Great choice on the colour combination by the way!

TopDownInFL
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm going to have a hard time waiting a couple of years for a CPO... :)

That's just it - The "plan" was ride the current CPO'd 650 vert out for two years and then get an off-lease 2012 650 (again, CPO'd). The problem? The amount I'm spending now for the '08 is within $100 (!!!!) a month of the new car. Didn't make sense not to just get the new car now. It was all dollars and cents (with a dash of "holy cow! did you SEE how sexy those new 6ers look?!?!?!") ;)

TopDownInFL
10-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Just ribbing you!:)

Yes, yes - I know you well enough by now Leslie to know that. But, just the same... perspective is always a good teacher.

Looking forward to the pics and your assessment of the new coupe! Great choice on the colour combination by the way!

Oddly enough my wife was the one that turned me onto Black interior - her expedition is White/Black and after driving a different white/black coupe (one with way too many features I'd never use and, therefore, was unwilling to pay for) I decided to give her a try.

My only (slight) disappointment is that she doesn't have the leather dash (I really like it). Been thinking of trying to get it afterwards and put it in afterwards (a potentially expensive adventure, I know, but worth looking into and I have a great body shop that could do the work).

Lots of pics to come when she arrives (I figure Saturday)!!!!!

XZLR8
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
It was all dollars and cents (with a dash of "holy cow! did you SEE how sexy those new 6ers look?!?!?!") ;)
More than just a dash, I'm assuming.

You're making my wait very difficult, you know. Ha.

Leslierc
10-28-2011, 05:32 AM

It's a great feeling, isn't it? Could not be happier for you!

gregb
10-28-2011, 06:18 AM
That's just it - The "plan" was ride the current CPO'd 650 vert out for two years and then get an off-lease 2012 650 (again, CPO'd). The problem? The amount I'm spending now for the '08 is within $100 (!!!!) a month of the new car. Didn't make sense not to just get the new car now. It was all dollars and cents (with a dash of "holy cow! did you SEE how sexy those new 6ers look?!?!?!") ;)

she is so sexy!!! I spent several hours driving the new vert by myself as part of the loaner program at the Ritz at lake oconee - man, I am definitely in lust!! the value side of my brain tells me to let the new asset depreciate before I buy it (irrespective of the monthly payment), but it is going to be a very tough wait and test of willpower!! :) enjoy your new ride! :thumbup:

GreyCoupe
10-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Life's too short for that! I about popped a gasket waiting for mine to get here from Germany!

TopDownInFL
10-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Almost taking her home!

BravoMikeWiskey
10-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't know about you, man. but I went from an M3 vert into an M6 coupe in 2008 and every time I drove it on a sunny day I regretted not getting the vert. Not so much on rainy days, though :D

The coupe is a fun car too, no doubt, but I think after driving your 08 650i vert for a few years, you're going to really miss the top down cruising, especially in So Florida, heaven for convertibles. You'll probably end up with a topless stablemate sooner than you think :thumbup:

TopDownInFL
10-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know about you, man. but I went from an M3 vert into an M6 coupe in 2008 and every time I drove it on a sunny day I regretted not getting the vert. Not so much on rainy days, though :D

The coupe is a fun car too, no doubt, but I think after driving your 08 650i vert for a few years, you're going to really miss the top down cruising, especially in So Florida, heaven for convertibles. You'll probably end up with a topless stablemate sooner than you think :thumbup:

You know me better than you think. I love the top down, but really fell in love with the coupe's curves.

If I get a "topless mate" it means my wife's Expedition needs to move out of the garage! ;)

BravoMikeWiskey
10-29-2011, 03:20 PM
You know me better than you think. I love the top down, but really fell in love with the coupe's curves.

If I get a "topless mate" it means my wife's Expedition needs to move out of the garage! ;)

sounds to me like "so long the Expedition!"...:bigpimp:

TopDownInFL
10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
sounds to me like "so long the Expedition!"...:bigpimp:

Ahhhh... I see you haven't met my wife... ;)

:thumbup: