BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starting issues for M3

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
All,

I recently purchased my first BMW M3 (2001 70000 miles impeccable condition). I had it inspected by a dealership and the only issue was with the springs which was not a big deal for me and easy fix. Recently the temperature began to drop and one morning when i started it it began to stutter so i cut the engine off before it stalled out. (Usually on colder mornings it would take to turns of the key (engine cranked both times) before it would start but not a big deal). Ever since it stalled out, the engine is hit or miss in the morning and more often then not miss. Now it is not starting at all. Popped the clutch to get it into the shop (not BMW dealership but trusted mechanic since I was putting in new rotors and pads on the front wheels). The mechanic said it started up just fine for them and the battery and alternator were working fine. Yesterday morning went to start it up and nothing. Had to use the car that day and got my girlfriend (ex D1 soccer player) to help me push it as i ran to jump in and pop the clutch, not the greatest idea but great bonding experience and she said it was hot watching me pop the clutch. I don't find it so hot so any ideas. Tried using both keys, kicked the clutch to make sure sensor was good, checked all the fuses especially the one mentioned in other posts and nothing is working. It is about 70 out and nothing is going. After i popped the clutch the car worked all day until it sat for about six hours and i tried to start it at night.

Any ideas? I don't mind taking it to the dealership, i love the car except for this issue. I recently put in AFE intake and checked all the seals to make sure it was not an issue there. Open to all suggestions before biting the bullet and going to a dealer.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely needs a new battery.

And sometimes, some cars, will need you to turn the key to the second detent and wait a bit for the fuel pressure to come up. If it starts and dies and then had a hard time catching again, it is likely that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.