PDA

View Full Version : 2004 X5 need nav

jhong321
04-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi I just bought a 2004 x5 3.0 with a 6 speed trans the only problem that I have is that I wanted one with Nav in it and there are none to be found. Can someone tell me, can you install a factory nav in these cars with out to much troble and if so does anyone want to sell one.
thanks for you time

Emission
04-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the Fest.

I'm not an expert, but I don't know if you can retrofit NAV into a vehicle - at a reasonable expense. How much do you want to spend to do it?

beware_phog
04-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi I just bought a 2004 x5 3.0 with a 6 speed trans the only problem that I have is that I wanted one with Nav in it and there are none to be found. Can someone tell me, can you install a factory nav in these cars with out to much troble and if so does anyone want to sell one.
thanks for you time

I'm considering a portable NAV instead cause it's portable and cheaper. something to ponder.

jhong321
04-13-2004, 03:49 AM
I want to spend as little as possible I have looked at the portable gps but they do not work as well. I use to have a alpine gps and would like somthing to be somewhat comparable. I also see a few used gps on ebay that came out of the X5 (stock nav) and just wanted to see if it was possable.

Thanks

y2khardtop
04-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Actually, a portable Garmin GPS (the new touch screen and the older color model) are both easier to use than the OEM BMW unit. I have a new 04' X5, which replaced my 01' X5, and we got Nav in the new one. While it works well, and the maps are pretty-to-date, the controls are sad.

My first GPS was a Garmin, then we have a Lexus SC430 (awesome system), and the BMW system is about 4-years behind the times.

That being said, I do think you can retrofit. Lots of people have upgraded from the old CD based system to the newer DVD based, so I think they are all wired the same.

I would visit the Roadfly forum. Lots of NAV talk over there.

jhong321
04-18-2004, 12:03 AM
thank for the info I will check out the site