PDA

View Full Version : Why the new 6 convertible is a soft top...

TopDownInFL
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
When test-driving the convertible this weekend, the sales person told me BMW did a survey and 6er owners wanted other drivers to know the vert is a vert even with the top up. So they left it a soft top.

When you consider that the 3er hardtop vert does look alot like the 3 coupe, this *could* be viable.

Personally, I wouldn't care what other drivers think of my car. What do you think?

Leslierc
10-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Convertible = "rag top" in my opinion. As far as the 6 is concerned, the car would not be nearly as pretty, eye-catching, or unique to me without those "flying buttresses".

petriej
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
It's a love/hate thing for me.

1) I don't care at all what people think when they see me driving.
2) The rag top is easier to keep running smoothly, I guess. I'd hate to have the 3er hard top out of warranty.
3) The hard top is quieter than the rag top when it is up.
4) I only get mixed up on the coupe/vert sightings when it is night time. And only then from far away.
5) The rag top is lighter.

anythingbuttime
10-17-2011, 08:55 PM
1) I don't care at all what people think when they see me driving.
Fair enough, but BMW is most concerned with you as a perspective purchaser...less so as the owner/operator. Several studies have been done that have indicated a soft top is seen more as a grand touring car and therefore more luxurious. Bentley, Aston Martin and Jaguar all say they will not conform to the folding hard top concept.
2) The rag top is easier to keep running smoothly, I guess. I'd hate to have the 3er hard top out of warranty.
Sounds like it makes sense, but what have you heard more issues about; 6-series softops having operational issues or Lexus Sc430s and Sl500s? The 6 has a terrible reputaion. To the point where no one questions if they will have top issues, but just waits for them to show up.
3) The hard top is quieter than the rag top when it is up.
I disagree. There is so much lining in a 6-series top that it seems to be quieter to me than an SL or Lexus...also warmer.
4) I only get mixed up on the coupe/vert sightings when it is night time. And only then from far away.
But you sit around chatting on a BMW newsgroup during the day. You aren't the norm. (nor are the rest of us) The concerns about it being recognizable as a convertible are with John Q Public...and with the 6, marketing is even more to Jane Q Public. You have to realize that the average person would walk past a 3 series convertible and never for a second think that roof folds down.
5) The rag top is lighter.
Do we know this is true? I don't have knowledge otherwise, but I would question it. A softop is completely dependent on its frame for rigidity. Combine that with the heft of a 6-series soft top and I think you would find it gives a solid aluminum roof a run for its heavy-weight status. I would think the strength of the solid roof panels would be spread across the panel also distributing the weight. The only car I can think of that offers both would be a Sebring, and the softop on those are old school paper think convertible tech. Not really comparable to our cars.

ProRail
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
When test-driving the convertible this weekend, the sales person told me BMW did a survey and 6er owners wanted other drivers to know the vert is a vert even with the top up. So they left it a soft top.

When you consider that the 3er hardtop vert does look alot like the 3 coupe, this *could* be viable.

Personally, I wouldn't care what other drivers think of my car. What do you think?

About what?

mstrq
10-18-2011, 05:45 AM
650i doesn't have hardtop because the car is longer and larger than 3 series, therefore the trunk can't cannot stow the the whole roof. I am not sure about those surveyed by BMW, but I would like my convertible to look like a coupe when the top is up. To be honest, black 3 series convertibles (E93) are almost indistinguishable from coupes in some angles. I mistook E93s from coupes many times even though they were pretty close to me. I considered E93 to be a coupe, a convertible in disguise. I really wish 650i came with a hardtop, but I guess 650i is more of a summer/weekend car than 4 season/everyday car.

TopDownInFL
10-18-2011, 06:19 AM
You have to realize that the average person would walk past a 3 series convertible and never for a second think that roof folds down.

Funny you should point that out. When we were test driving the vert, we walked past a 3er vert and my wife literally said "oh, wait - that's a convertible?"

Didn't even occur to me she made your point.

mstrq
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Funny you should point that out. When we were test driving the vert, we walked past a 3er vert and my wife literally said "oh, wait - that's a convertible?"

Didn't even occur to me she made your point.

Some of my friends didn't know my car was a convertible even with all the visible lines where roof panels meet. My E93 was white, so the black shutlines were even more recognizable. I was pleasantly surprised that they thought it was a coupe. 2 cars in 1. Convertible in disguise.

One dude once tried to get in the back seat by clicking the gas cap, thinking it's a four-door car... :confused: Even after riding in my car several times, he didn't know my car had only 2 doors. And he thought I bought a 2 door car because I couldn't afford a sedan. So BMW's survey on 6 series owners seems both spot-on and redundant at the same time. Spot-on since the world has to know you are driving an expensive car that can drop the top anytime as long as the weather permits unlike a hardtop convertible that people might dismiss as another coupe. Redundant because some people just don't care, and don't care to pay attention to cars around them.

Superschnell
10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
People are different. Thats why we have such a variety of cars.
As to me, I just believe a soft top is looking better. Especially the elegant fin design of the 6 series.
Simple as that :D

TopDownInFL
10-19-2011, 07:40 AM
As to me, I just believe a soft top is looking better. Especially the elegant fin design of the 6 series.

I wholeheartedly agree! :thumbup:

petriej
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Some of my friends didn't know my car was a convertible even with all the visible lines where roof panels meet. My E93 was white, so the black shutlines were even more recognizable. I was pleasantly surprised that they thought it was a coupe. 2 cars in 1. Convertible in disguise.

One dude once tried to get in the back seat by clicking the gas cap, thinking it's a four-door car... :confused: Even after riding in my car several times, he didn't know my car had only 2 doors. And he thought I bought a 2 door car because I couldn't afford a sedan. So BMW's survey on 6 series owners seems both spot-on and redundant at the same time. Spot-on since the world has to know you are driving an expensive car that can drop the top anytime as long as the weather permits unlike a hardtop convertible that people might dismiss as another coupe. Redundant because some people just don't care, and don't care to pay attention to cars around them.

:rofl: The sedan style is cheaper than the coupe (excluding the 1 and the 7 series). Nice friend there!

RocX6
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
convertible = "rag top" in my opinion. As far as the 6 is concerned, the car would not be nearly as pretty, eye-catching, or unique to me without those "flying buttresses".

+1!