PDA

View Full Version : Selflevel Susp. Inact

sspathisfsb
10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi

I have a 2002 BMW X5 4.4 & the "Selflevel Susp. Inact" warning light came on. What could the problem be? Is it dangerous to drive? The truck is even all around. I did have something really heavy in the truck, could this have caused the light to come on? I don't want to go to the dealer :(

Please help...thank you Anastasia:)

ChezWhiz
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
My '01 4.4i w/ 140K miles just had the same thing. If it had not been for the fact that I heard a hissing noise coming from near the rear driver's side tire (at first I thought it was a flat) I would not have known one of the airbags in the air suspension was leaking. Even after I took it to the BMW dealer they had trouble finding the leak. The service tech had it up while checking the wear on the break pads (another service I had requested) and it just happened to start hissing again. My suggestion would be to park it on some unlevel ground to force each of the shocks/struts/airbags to fully expand to self-level. Do this for each wheel in turn and listen closely for any leaking air and/or visually inspect each wheel well to make sure it is maintaining the level. NOTE: I have NOT tried this so I don't know if it would work or not.

ioang26
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I had the same problem after I had my tires replaced . Since then the warning message started coming ON and then OFF sometimes when I restart the engine.
Here is the solution - disconnect the battery's the NEGATIVE and wait 30 min at least then reconnect and see if the warning message
would show up again . If that doesn't help then you may have leak in either rear air spring or the air compressor might be going bad.
Also, measure the distance from the garage floor to the edge of the fender for each tire.

Imola 4.6
10-20-2011, 06:40 PM
check the fuse located in the truck on the right panel, before you do anything major.

bmwxr2002
10-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Had the same problem with the rear drivers side. Took it to my Indy who replaced the airbag for $326 includes parts and labor. Got it back today hope this helps.