PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Heat around center console

car-fan
10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone notice excessive heat around the center console (ashtray/lockable storage area) after driving for a while with the A/C off, top up or down? It gets hot enough to wonder if my IPOD might incur damage and the coins I stash in the ashtray get hot as well. This does not seem to be an issue with the A/C on, and it is not quite hot enough to burn. The heat seems to emanate up from around the ashtray. I know the N63 cars give off quite a bit of heat during normal operation so I am tying to determine if this is inherent to the 6 or not.:dunno: I'll be going to the dealer on Wendesday or Thursday, the issue can easily be duplicated after driving for a while.

coolhandshin
10-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Center console heat also felt on mine too.
Especially with the air conditioning off.

I guess the V8 turbo engine is one hot engine;
Excessive heat is also noted near the hood and other parts outside the car.

They could have insulated the car a little better
but I think all the test driving is done with AC on and some things they missed out with AC off.

There's also little vibrations in the car when AC off and in idle.

car-fan
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Center console heat also felt on mine too.
Especially with the air conditioning off.

I guess the V8 turbo engine is one hot engine;
Excessive heat is also noted near the hood and other parts outside the car.

They could have insulated the car a little better
but I think all the test driving is done with AC on and some things they missed out with AC off.

There's also little vibrations in the car when AC off and in idle.

Many thanks for your response! Yes the N63 TTV8 gives off a lot of heat, I noticed this with my previous car, especially from underneath near the front door areas. However, I never noticed any elevated temps in the interior from the engine.

The vibrations and slightly lumpy idle seem to be a common trait of these engines.

Its almost like a heat sink I will get it looked at - I think as you stated - more effective insulation - or the lack there of - is likely the culprit. That heat can't be good for any portable devices (IPOD, Phone, etc) stowed in the center console when the AC is off:confused:

coolhandshin
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Its almost like a heat sink I will get it looked at - I think as you stated - more effective insulation - or the lack there of - is likely the culprit. That heat can't be good for any portable devices (IPOD, Phone, etc) stowed in the center console when the AC is off:confused:

It does get quite warm, but not to the point of worrying that the temperature might ruin the portable devices.

It's definitely odd comparing to my previous cars, and it can be little discomforting, but not hot enough to call it a heat sink. I figure maybe around 35 degrees since it's almost like touching warm parts of human body surface, like abdomen.

I worry the Services won't do anything much except just verbally sedate you :(

car-fan
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
It does get quite warm, but not to the point of worrying that the temperature might ruin the portable devices.

It's definitely odd comparing to my previous cars, and it can be little discomforting, but not hot enough to call it a heat sink. I figure maybe around 35 degrees since it's almost like touching warm parts of human body surface, like abdomen.

I worry the Services won't do anything much except just verbally sedate you :(

Mine gets much warmer than a body part. Think more along the lines of a laptop after hours of use. I think they will take it seriously, my dealer knows I don't play around, if it's normal operation that's one thing, but if not, rest asured it will be remedied one way or the other.;)

I may even elect to get a heat reading with a thermometer. Car is going in tomorrow for replacement of a scratched side view mirror glass. I will report back on the heat issue.