PDA

View Full Version : She's home - First impressions and pics

TopDownInFL
10-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Picked up my new coupe last night. The thing that has impressed me the most is that this evolution of the 6 is a work of art. Some of the tiny details added to the car are more than just functional, but are exceedingly pleasing to the eye. There is SO much detail in this car, after spending about an hour sitting in it to figure out the iDrive and other features, I don't think I've even scratched the surface.

So many new things to fall in love with:

Features - Auto Halt, 4 modes of driving (Comfort+, Comfort, Sport and Sport+)
Details - the M package body panels, the molding of the door panels, lighting (inside and out have changed)
Sounds - The engine sounds absolutely incredible
Ride - Been driving on Comfort+ and it has amazing smoothness while letting you know "I have a ton more power if you need it!"

What a car everyone! Enjoy the pics. If there's anything in specific you'd like to see, let me know!

GreyCoupe
10-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Congrats on your new car.

PS: What is Autohalt?

Leslierc
10-29-2011, 09:15 AM
That's a piece of art...stunning! Now, go and put some miles on that girl!:)

TopDownInFL
10-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats on your new car.

PS: What is Autohalt?

Think automatic parking brake during rush hour stop-and-go traffic - when you come to a halt (while on the highway) it auto-engages the parking brake and the moment you press the gas, it releases the brake. This way you don't have to keep depressing the brake while in rush hour traffic.

Elias
10-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Awesome looking car the white color just looks great on the coup, congrats!:D

GreyCoupe
10-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Auto Halt. Thanks. Wonder if I've got it. I didn't order it.

BravoMikeWiskey
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
DSB looks hawt...the new 6 is really growing on me.

But not sure about the "M pkg" - to my knowledge, North America is the only BMW market where M pkg has no M performance parts, i.e. sport suspension, upgraded brakes, bushings, etc. "M" used to Mean performance and exclusivity. These days, in my view anyway, the BMWNA stripped away "M"'s performance and left us with cosmetics: different style wheels, body kit, badges here and there. In fact, the M badges are so commonplace, from skid plates to floor mats to steering wheels, that one could argue that the dilution of the 'M' branding is done on purpose. Can't imagine M Group guys being happy about it. :dunno:

HoustonBimmer
10-29-2011, 05:24 PM

You have it. Look at the button next to the Parking brake button

GreyCoupe
10-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks--will check it out in the am....

long time
10-30-2011, 05:20 AM
So What will be Nick's new handle on this board ? - Now that he can't take his top down...

TopDownInFL
10-30-2011, 06:22 AM

It's the Auto H. button on the center console.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=298965&d=1319900102

TopDownInFL
10-30-2011, 06:24 AM
So What will be Nick's new handle on this board ? - Now that he can't take his top down...

TopUp? HardTop? NoTop?

DidntThinkAboutTheFactHeMayNotHaveAConvertibleSome timeInTheFutureWhenCreatingHisAvatar? :rofl:

Think I'm stuck with it since you can't change your avatar on the board. It crossed my mind once or twice as I was working to purchase the coupe.

GreyCoupe
10-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Thanks--I don't use the parking brake, either. Maybe I will drive into town at rush hour and try the Auto Hold...

Superschnell
10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Congrats with your car. Nice color combination!
It's impossible not to be satisfied with these cars :thumbup:

XZLR8
10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Fantastic! Congrats. Can't wait to be a new Coupe owner, too.

car-fan
10-30-2011, 04:00 PM
DSB looks hawt...the new 6 is really growing on me.

But not sure about the "M pkg" - to my knowledge, North America is the only BMW market where M pkg has no M performance parts, i.e. sport suspension, upgraded brakes, bushings, etc. "M" used to Mean performance and exclusivity. These days, in my view anyway, the BMWNA stripped away "M"'s performance and left us with cosmetics: different style wheels, body kit, badges here and there. In fact, the M badges are so commonplace, from skid plates to floor mats to steering wheels, that one could argue that the dilution of the 'M' branding is done on purpose. Can't imagine M Group guys being happy about it. :dunno:

+1 IMHO kind of in the realm of how AMG adorns many MB cars. The E46 ZHP, and E92/E93 "is" cars are perfect examples of what I knew "M-Sport" to be. Basically an in-between model - sports vs. full spec M car.

TopDownInFL
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks--I don't use the parking brake, either. Maybe I will drive into town at rush hour and try the Auto Hold...

Works just as well at any stop light. I like the feature.

TopDownInFL
10-30-2011, 05:14 PM
+1 IMHO kind of in the realm of how AMG adorns many MB cars. The E46 ZHP, and E92/E93 "is" cars are perfect examples of what I knew "M-Sport" to be. Basically an in-between model - sports vs. full spec M car.

Do keep in mind that nowhere on the car does it say M (other than to another 6er owner who knows *those* bumpers are M bumpers, etc). And while it has an "increased top speed limiter" I think that is the part that's kind of the bogus "it's JUST like an M" on BMW's part, because is isn't and we all know it. I wanted the body kit (love that look) and truly probably wouldn't want an actual M (too much car for me).

:)

BravoMikeWiskey
10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Do keep in mind that nowhere on the car does it say M (other than to another 6er owner who knows *those* bumpers are M bumpers, etc). And while it has an "increased top speed limiter" I think that is the part that's kind of the bogus "it's JUST like an M" on BMW's part, because is isn't and we all know it. I wanted the body kit (love that look) and truly probably wouldn't want an actual M (too much car for me).

do the wheels, skid plates and steering wheel no longer have M badges?

GreyCoupe
10-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Actually the wheels do have M badges...

I understand posters' concerns, and this would have been easily solved by describing it as an aero kit. I think it really looks good on the car, and would have bought it anyway. Clever packaging put it together with other bits I wanted: all LED lighting, and these wheels...

TopDownInFL
10-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Actually the wheels do have M badges...

do the wheels, skid plates and steering wheel no longer have M badges?

OK, ok - you both have me. I meant more along the lines that it doesn't have the M badge on the rear deck. But I see your point. It's at very least whispering "mmmmmmm". ;)

gregb
10-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Nick, the new ride looks great - congratulations!

anythingbuttime
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Not to hijack the thread, as it is great to see the coupes are arriving, but back to the AutoHalt...has anyone noticed if the brake lights are lit while stopped. From inside the car, I felt they weren't, which concerns me that you could be stopped in the roadway with no brake lights and approaching traffic nmay not realize it.

Sandlapper
10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Nick,
Congrats! Glad you love the new coupe as much as the rest of us. A little confusion on the post -BMW calls it the "auto hold" switch vs "auto halt". Interesting about the brake lights if the auto hold is on. I'll check it out.
Have you noticed you have three ways of determining how much gas/miles remaining? You have the miles to empty, the fuel gauge itself, and the semi-circular bar under the speedometer that list miles to empty in a red bar graph. Holy smokes...you can't run out of gas if you paying any attention to the gauges at all.
White looks great on the M option. Shows off all the curves. That's why brides wear it! Ha!
The top speed limiter is also upped to 155 if you purchase the 20" wheel option so it is not limited to the M options.

Hossy
10-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Congrats Nick! That coupe really does look great, love the M-pkg. I will say this, I thought twice about the coupe (never thought once about the vert!), but I still don't think I'll be swayed. I am planning a trip to the dealer in a few weeks, so maybe... maybe I could be cajoled into something just like that, maybe with some fire red interior of some sort.

But either way, congrats! Enjoy it in good health my friend, and let me know when you are back up this way so we can get together again!

tampamark
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Nick, awesome car, I have been very vocal about how much I love the new design so I am JEALOUS of your purchase. I can't believe you switched to a coupe, I am a little disappointed with you there... :D

Did you hammer the dealer for a great deal??? Just curious if there are any outstanding incentives that are out there.

ECSTuning
10-31-2011, 01:36 PM
:clap: beautiful 6er!

ECS Tuning

TXSTYLE
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Enjoy the new ride. Outstanding color selection.

Yorgi
10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Congrats Nick, the car looks stunning in white.

I'm with Mark, I can't believe you switched to a coupe based on where you live.

Enjoy it! Mmmmmm...new car smell. :)

TopDownInFL
10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I can say that I really love my choice. Was in the dealership today, saw a vert with the top down, truly appreciated the beauty of that car, but felt oh so satisfied with the car I purchased. I love the quiet and then the ability to expose the moon roof.

XZLR8
10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
I can say that I really love my choice. Was in the dealership today, saw a vert with the top down, truly appreciated the beauty of that car, but felt oh so satisfied with the car I purchased. I love the quiet and then the ability to expose the moon roof.
I hear ya. After two previous 6 coupes, I have to say I love the glass roof, too. I only wish that it slid back and opened a bit, 911 Targa style.

petriej
11-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Actually, you can change your forum name. I don't know how it is done, but a guy in the e9x forum was x-ratedE90 and now he's ///M-ratedE90. I noticed it in some of the really old threads they have there where he has a post as M-ratedE90, but later quoted as "Originally Posted by x-ratedE90".

I guess you'll have to PM a mod!

Your coupe looks fantastic! The wheels are sweet, the color combo is perfect, and the M package really makes it stand out. I can't wait to see what mods you have planned for it! :thumbup:

TopDownInFL
11-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Actually, you can change your forum name. I don't know how it is done, but a guy in the e9x forum was x-ratedE90 and now he's ///M-ratedE90. I noticed it in some of the really old threads they have there where he has a post as M-ratedE90, but later quoted as "Originally Posted by x-ratedE90".

I guess you'll have to PM a mod!

I may look into it. No rush... But thanks - didn't realize it had been done.

Your coupe looks fantastic! The wheels are sweet, the color combo is perfect, and the M package really makes it stand out. I can't wait to see what mods you have planned for it! :thumbup:

Going to be a purist for awhile. The car has so much stuff that's new to me that I'm feeling a bit like a kid in a (really expensive) candy store!

car-fan
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Please don't get me wrong I love the way it looks - especially the alcantara headliner:thumbup::thumb up: It just seems that BMW has gone M-Crazy these days:roll eyes: How about 650 CS - or CSI :D

If you can handle the 650 you can handle the M6. You know by now that the F12/F13 6 series is no slouch;)

TopDownInFL
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
You know by now that the F12/F13 6 series is no slouch;)

Oh how true that is. I opened her up, just a bit (not really anywhere I can drive fast at the moment - I'm up in Vero), but really enjoyed the increased acceleration, the engine note throughout the rev band, and being thrown back into my seat. It *is* a wonderful car!

car-fan
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh how true that is. I opened her up, just a bit (not really anywhere I can drive fast at the moment - I'm up in Vero), but really enjoyed the increased acceleration, the engine note throughout the rev band, and being thrown back into my seat. It *is* a wonderful car!

How does the engine/exhaust note compare to your previous 650?

dalekressin
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
The pure joy of ownership.
enjoy

petriej
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
If we follow convention the F12/13 M6 will get the same engine as the F10 M5 which puts out 560hp/506lb-ft torque. I am sure the 650i is no slouch but that body with the bigger engine alone puts it in a different class! We will have to wait and see :D

TopDownInFL
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
How does the engine/exhaust note compare to your previous 650?

This beautiful growl shows up all along the rev band that simply wasn't there on the e64. The e64 note showed up most (to me) when I stepped on the gas. with the F13, it's more noticeable all the time.

DRL650
11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Beautiful Ride love the white color is shows the lines really nice.:thumbup:

Leslierc
11-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Think automatic parking brake during rush hour stop-and-go traffic - when you come to a halt (while on the highway) it auto-engages the parking brake and the moment you press the gas, it releases the brake. This way you don't have to keep depressing the brake while in rush hour traffic.

I have yet to use the "Auto H" feature on my7. I assume it will only engage when the car is at a complete standstill. What's it like when you're stopped only momentarily; like at a stop sign?

TopDownInFL
11-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I have yet to use the "Auto H" feature on my7. I assume it will only engage when the car is at a complete standstill. What's it like when you're stopped only momentarily; like at a stop sign?

If you're rolling your stop like I do at Stop signs, it won't engage (your assumption of a complete standstill is correct). I think it really would only be useful in true stop-and-go traffic.

anythingbuttime
11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Not to hijack the thread, as it is great to see the coupes are arriving, but back to the AutoHalt...has anyone noticed if the brake lights are lit while stopped. From inside the car, I felt they weren't, which concerns me that you could be stopped in the roadway with no brake lights and approaching traffic nmay not realize it.

FYI- Auto Halt does activate the brake lights....

TopDownInFL
11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
FYI- Auto Halt does activate the brake lights....

Wondered that myself. :thumbup:

petriej
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Is auto-halt available for manual transmission?

Zack G.
11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Beautiful 6! I have to be honest, I didn't really like the new design (read: the rear tailights...too much red), but I have to say they are slowly starting to grow on me. Yours looks great in white, shows the lines well.

Enjoy it in good health!

car-fan
11-05-2011, 08:49 AM
If we follow convention the F12/13 M6 will get the same engine as the F10 M5 which puts out 560hp/506lb-ft torque. I am sure the 650i is no slouch but that body with the bigger engine alone puts it in a different class! We will have to wait and see :D

Same engine displacement - different turbos, ECU and some internals. Block is the same. Simple software re-flash will satisfy those of us with the desire for a little more power until the M6 is released;)

TopDownInFL
11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Beautiful 6! I have to be honest, I didn't really like the new design (read: the rear tailights...too much red), but I have to say they are slowly starting to grow on me. Yours looks great in white, shows the lines well.

Enjoy it in good health!

:thumbup:

pablo645
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Congrats Nick! man I've been away too long. Too much traveling these days for work. I'm back and seeing all these wonderful changes you guys are making. I have to step my game up :rofl:. Love the car Nick.:thumbup: Looks amazing with the kit. I think I like the lines of the coupe more than the convertible in the new body style. White is definitely the color for these cars. Really shows the car up more. My dealer mentioned that white actually beat out silver this year as the most popular color for cars. Enjoy every minute of it my friend. You've earned it.
PS. Did they give you a good trade in value for your 08? I might be thinking of doing the same thing in a few.

TopDownInFL
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Congrats Nick!

Thanks Pablo!

PS. Did they give you a good trade in value for your 08? I might be thinking of doing the same thing in a few.

In my case, no - if you remember the accident I got into in Feb killed my resale value. BUT... having said that, with the allowances BMW was giving in October, I had to only write a check for $3760. State Farm gave me $4000 for diminished value, so I broke even and got out.

While it wasn't the deal I wanted (I wanted one of those unreasonable, wheere only I make out kind of deals! :rofl:), I am out of the old and into the new.

pablo645
11-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks Pablo!

In my case, no - if you remember the accident I got into in Feb killed my resale value. BUT... having said that, with the allowances BMW was giving in October, I had to only write a check for $3760. State Farm gave me $4000 for diminished value, so I broke even and got out.

While it wasn't the deal I wanted (I wanted one of those unreasonable, wheere only I make out kind of deals! :rofl:), I am out of the old and into the new.
As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. I'm going to be home for a week before my next trip back the CA so I'm going to talk to the dealership on trade in value and see what I can get. (Wife doesn't know my intentions yet so I will be waiting for the fireworks :D)

TopDownInFL
11-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Wife doesn't know my intentions yet so I will be waiting for the fireworks :D

Mine wasn't entirely happy at first (I only had the blue vert for a little over a year). She loves the drive of this one so much better than the last that I think I'm good. ;)