PDA

View Full Version : Love my new GT

kjmurphy
11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, my wife and I bought a new 2011 535i xDrive GT last week and we absolutely love it. We used USAA for the purchase and got the following options: 20-WAY PWR MULTI-CONTOUR BUCKET SEATS W/DUAL MEMORY; 4-ZONE AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL; CAMERA PKG; COLD WEATHER PKG; COMFORT ACCESS KEYLESS ENTRY; CONVENIENCE PKG; HDD NAVIGATION SYSTEM; HEATED FRONT SEATS; IPOD & USB ADAPTER; PREMIUM SOUND PKG; REAR-VIEW CAMERA; SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO W/1-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION; SPORT PKG; DARK GRAPHITE W/ EVEREST GRAY, DAKOTA LEATHER SEAT TRIM. Sticker was $71,025, but USAA purchase price was $60,570.
Hands down, this is the best car we have ever purchased and we look forward to many happy miles in our new GT.

Kevin

Capobranco
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Kevin,

Welcome to the tribe! :beerchug:

Post Pics!

kjmurphy
11-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my new GT. The background for the first one is the Chapel on the Air Force Academy. The second is from one of the scenic overlooks on the base.

Kevin

gmblack3
11-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Congrats!

Wardman
11-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Welcome - The more I drive mine, the more I love it!

Based upon your locale!, it seems that a thanks for your service is in order as well

kjmurphy
11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Welcome - The more I drive mine, the more I love it!

Based upon your locale!, it seems that a thanks for your service is in order as well

Thanks. I've been in the Air Force for 19 years and it has been a privilige and an honor to serve this great country.

burnie35
12-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Sticker was $71,025, but USAA purchase price was $60,570.
Kevin

I'm retired Army and not currently a member of USAA (thought it was mainly for insurance) ... but the discounted price caught my eye. How do you go about purchasing a vehicle throught them? Do they do leases also?

Getting ready to turn in my 2009 535i and looking at the GT.

gmblack3
12-19-2011, 04:33 AM
I believe USAA uses truecar.com for discounted pricing. I'm pretty sure the same discount applies. Please verify for yourself.

If you can do the European Delivery that would be best bet for purchase or lease.

jadnashuanh
12-19-2011, 06:08 AM
If you can swing the pay in advance, don't get the car for awhile, and would like a vacation in Germany or Europe for awhile after picking up a new car there, it is a really pleasant experience and you can save some money. Unless you are able to get a year-end deal or are really shrewd in your negotiating, you can save money too, even after the trip (depends on what you can get for airfare and what you do in Europe plus how long you stay). BMW has a negotiate fare to get you to Munich that is nice because it is refundable. It's a little misleading as airlines have added a fuel surcharge, and you have to pay for that on the buy one, get one free airfare arrangement...when I looked, the fuel surcharge (from Boston) was over $500, so free is sort of a misnomer.

If not, from FL, it's a neat experience to have the vehicle delivered at the Spartansburg factory...a free night in the hotel, meals, and time on the test track, factory tour, etc. Great way to aquaint yourself with BMW. You don't drive your car on the track, but they provide a similar one to beat on. On the website, you can see the no-hassle Euro delivery base vehicle cost...the options are at retail, but you can negotiate both prices further down from that point. You give them three days when you prefer to pick up the vehicle, and depending on the lead time, you often get your first choice. The pickup day in Munich gets you an intro to your vehicle, vouchers for the gift shop, restaurant, free snacks, factory tour (must pre-register), and free admission to the museum. The area is right next to the old Olympic park on the west side of downtown. A good jumpoff point for Bavaia and the region. You can drop off the vehicle in most countries for return to the US and your dealer or Spartansburg. I did mine in April-May this year; picked it back up in Spartansburg in June. Enjoyed it!

burnie35
12-19-2011, 07:40 AM
I've heard about the European delivery, but thought it would be too much of a hassle, and wouldn't save any money.

However, my son lives in Munich (only a few miles from the BMW plant/museum), so staying there would be free. My wife and I were planning to visit him this spring anyway.

I'll have to look up the European delivery plan on the BMW website and check it out ... didn't realize that they would pick up some of the air fare.

Thanks to both gmblack3 and jadnashuanh for the info. :)

innerloop
12-19-2011, 09:11 AM
You should totally do it and there is a whole sub-forum here to talk about. We picked up a GT back in September. The GT is a perfect car for touring around Europe and the fact that you have relatives in Munich just makes it a no-brainer, seriously.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that they "pick up airfare" because in reality the only way to cash in on the Lufthansa discount makes it much more likely you'll be able to find a better deal on your own. Its not simple like they kick in $200 or something. You have to buy a full-fare ticket essentially and then you get 2:1 but full fare = insane price no one pays ever, so not as great as it sounds on paper.

burnie35
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
You should totally do it and there is a whole sub-forum here to talk about. We picked up a GT back in September. The GT is a perfect car for touring around Europe and the fact that you have relatives in Munich just makes it a no-brainer, seriously.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that they "pick up airfare" because in reality the only way to cash in on the Lufthansa discount makes it much more likely you'll be able to find a better deal on your own. Its not simple like they kick in $200 or something. You have to buy a full-fare ticket essentially and then you get 2:1 but full fare = insane price no one pays ever, so not as great as it sounds on paper.

Good to know! Thanks!

jadnashuanh
12-19-2011, 10:48 PM
The ticket class allows changes and is refundable, which costs more that a nonrefundable. The nice thing, at least for me, was the non-stop from Boston to Munich each way and, the ability to change or cancel should something come up without losing the whole wad. At the time, it was more expensive, but then the cheaper flights made two connections, too, and took nearly twice as long to get there as a result. So, depending on where you live, and the possible connections, the possibility of them losing your luggage on one of those transfers, or being late, or cancelled for weather in between...a non-stop is a very nice thing.

kashrahman
12-22-2011, 07:09 PM
congrats, looks great!

Victon
12-24-2011, 05:16 AM
Here are a couple of pics of my new GT. The background for the first one is the Chapel on the Air Force Academy. The second is from one of the scenic overlooks on the base.

Kevin

the photo (the scenic overlooks) is against the sun - so not much to see. Cheers...