PDA

View Full Version : Non RFT's - Which Ones

Wardman
11-13-2011, 05:05 AM
Hello All,

3 weeks in to my 2012 535ixGT - and the road noise and ride is eating at me.... :mad:

I'm looking to swap out the LS2's on the car with something non-RFT's. Any suggestions. I'm figuring that I can store the RFT's in my house and then put them back on in 3 years as OEM when I turn the lease in. I've been a fan of Michelin Energy's in the past and want an all season. I'm willing to bet that this will fix most of my ride issues quickly.

Also - any recomendations for storing the tires for 3 years. It will be a cool basement that usually stays between 60-70 degrees.

Thanks -

Wardman

Capobranco
11-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Continental ExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season)

Wardman
11-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Capo - what size tire/wheel do you have on your GT? I cannot find the DWS in 245/50/18 like my standard wheel is.

THX!

Crmgr
11-16-2011, 06:50 AM
That's a little strange on the road noise and ride for the LS2. There have been a lot of complaints about the 19" M-Sport all-seasons, but noise and ride have not been a major problem. Mine have been great in the noise and ride department. Has your SA checked out the problem. Could be a bad wheel or balancing issue.

Wardman
11-16-2011, 07:01 AM
good point - I will add that to the 1000 mile check up I'll do. I've been told the ride is more rough than with Non-RFT do to soild side walls etc... by the local tire shops including BMW and Goodyear. Just an inherent result of the technology. On smooth roads they are fine, hit concrete roads for 50% of my driving on non-highways and I hear and feel it.

Here's TireRack's review and they call out the feel/sound when hitting small bumps, etc..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=156

Good write up for anyone interested and maybe the Bridgestones are turning the corner for all of us :p

That said - if you can deal with the 19 or 20" rims, the harshness I feel is probably not as noticable to you either.

Wardman

jadnashuanh
11-16-2011, 02:59 PM
The Goodyears ARE noisy on concrete roads, not too bad on asphalt, though. Luckily, there's not much concrete around here, at least as the top layer. It's not inherent in the RFT design, it's the tread design of that tire.