BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

3.0 I6 Engine characteristics and history

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2006 X5 3.0 Auto-trans and after driving it and getting a feel for the engine I noticed that it doesnt seem as smooth and fluid as other Bimmer Inline sixes, and I also got the same impression a couple of years ago after test driving an 2004 330i (E46)Auto-trans as well. Does the 04 330i(E46)share the same 3.0 liter as the 06 X5? My opinion is based on my previous ownership of an 2000 E46 328i. Is this a common quality among these 3.0 engines vs others, Is it possible that the X5 is programmed, tuned geared or bored a little differently than other six cylinders.
Anyone have any opinion, experience, or knowledge on this.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

#2 · (Edited)
Chris, the '06 X5 shares its inline 6 with the X3, although both use a different transmission. The X3 uses a GM sourced 5 speed and the X5 uses a ZF sourced 5 speed. Neither had many automatic transmission problems -- that came with the '07 and up when the engines changed, and the 6 speed A/T came in. I have an '06 X3 and my neighbor has an '05 I6 X5, both are smooth as glass, but the X3 (being lighter) is quicker. If yours isn't smooth then you should have it checked at your indy mechanic. You might need some service work.:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.