PDA

View Full Version : shadowline trim

dimok
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Is there such option? I could not find it car builder on bmwusa.com. Anybody has a pic of a car with shadiowline trim?

jettie1767
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
No shadowline available in the US.

TopDownInFL
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
No shadowline available in the US.

Not true. One of the members here on the board has one on order with shadowline trim. It's a custom option not listed on the bmwusa site. The option is S0760.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572823&highlight=shadowline

XZLR8
11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Not true. One of the members here on the board has one on order with shadowline trim. It's a custom option not listed on the bmwusa site. The option is S0760.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572823&highlight=shadowline
That's me, that's me! Ha.

I "special ordered" both shadowline trim and a black headliner (with no M-Sport). I simply had to sign a "special order" form that said to allow for an additional 4-6 weeks, although it didn't take any additional time that I could really tell.

My Coupe is on a boat now and is scheduled to arrive at port by Turkey Day.

TopDownInFL
11-17-2011, 05:21 AM
My Coupe is on a boat now and is scheduled to arrive at port by Turkey Day.

Now THAT'S something to be thankful for! ;)

dimok
11-18-2011, 05:33 AM
thanks! Please post the pics when she arrives!

Russ650i
02-27-2012, 01:12 AM
My individual 650i cv, due in april comes with Shadowline

roadsta
02-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Here's a photo of my 650 with Shadowline. Comes standard with the m-sport pack here.

JONNYCHIRO
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596060

We talk a lot 'bout this very subject.

Scroll thru link. Pics throughout.

Itinj6
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
It looks like its only available for the Individual Packages or overseas models.

A member here (XZLR8) was able to order through his dealership as a special order. I tried with my dealership but have been met with resistance.

danzzz
02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I thought about getting those glossy vinyl wrap but it certainly doesn't look as good as factory's. Well, it's a cheap alternative tho if you really want shadowline trim.

Itinj6
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I thought about getting those glossy vinyl wrap but it certainly doesn't look as good as factory's. Well, it's a cheap alternative tho if you really want shadowline trim.

That is probably what I will end up doing. I really want Shadowline and my dealership is resisting.

At least you can always remove it if you get bored of it. Vinyl lasts a pretty long time. I'm sure it will last the length of my lease. I have a custom race replica sport bike that has all vinyl decals on it and it still looks like new three years later.

Itinj6
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Now that I check, every other car with M-Sport get Shadowline trim (except Z4 which really doesn't have a trim but the pillars are black). Even the F30 "Sport Line".

This is unreal and disgusts me.

JONNYCHIRO
02-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Now that I check, every other car with M-Sport get Shadowline trim (except Z4 which really doesn't have a trim but the pillars are black). Even the F30 "Sport Line".

This is unreal and disgusts me.

+1.

It makes absolutely no good sense.

reveur
02-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Shadowline trim is easily available in the US as mentioned above Option code 760. It added no delay to the build for me, the car arrived at dealer within 6 weeks. Cost $350. Your dealer can add it to your build sheet. I am from PA.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0822.jpg[/IMG]

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0827.jpg[/IMG]

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/shadowline.jpg[/IMG]

JONNYCHIRO
02-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Reveur what color us this on your vehicle. Black? Or Chrome? 314193

reveur
02-28-2012, 06:07 AM
It is traditional looking chrome. I do not own a proper camera, used my iphone to take pics. It does look like black chrome, that would be a nice option I think. :)

Itinj6
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Shadowline trim is easily available in the US as mentioned above Option code 760. It added no delay to the build for me, the car arrived at dealer within 6 weeks. Cost $350. Your dealer can add it to your build sheet. I am from PA.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0822.jpg[/IMG]

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0827.jpg[/IMG]

Son of a ...

My dealer is getting a few phone calls today. I am running out of time to change my order.

Still a shame that you had to pay extra for it. Granted, $350 is peanuts compared to the total cost of the car, but M-Sport is supposed to be synonymous with Shadowline.

Didn't XZLR8 pay slightly more? I wonder if the discount came because of the M-Sport.

southern6er22
02-28-2012, 07:09 AM
At this point I'd pay $350 in a heart beat. I figure replacing it aftermarket plus labor will be roughly $1000.

XZLR8
02-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Didn't XZLR8 pay slightly more? I wonder if the discount came because of the M-Sport.

Yeah, I think mine was $475. Odd, but it could be that I didn't opt for M-Sport. Worth every penny, though.

Itinj, this seems to prove that my situation wasn't an anomaly. Maybe it just requires a dealership or sales manager who knows what s/he's doing?

JONNYCHIRO
02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
$350 shadowline that's the ****!
Ha ha my sucker dealership ponied up almost $2G to do me right.

Looks amazing! I like it a lot on your ride!

Intinj get to it & do it!!!!!

Itinj6
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I GOT SHADOWLINE!!!

My Sales Manager texted me this morning and told me it was added to my order. I asked for the build sheet as confirmation but he said it won't be reflected on the sheet for a couple days and he will email it when it does.

Park Ave BMW is awesome. They keep hooking it up!

Special thanks to XZLR8 and raveur for the motivation to be persistent.

Damn this wait sucks!!!

JONNYCHIRO
03-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Good News Man!

Now try not to break this one...

She sounds like a keeper! ;)

Seriously Congrats!

EmM HoLLa
03-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Shadow Line Trim makes the car look menacing.. Especially if you tint the windows.. Beautiful!

thom.one.two
03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Reveur,
That has to be the hottest F13 I have ever seen. That car is gorgeous. Wow! I haven't seen a Space Grey coupe, and that is off the chain.

XZLR8
03-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Shadow Line Trim makes the car look menacing.. Especially if you tint the windows.. Beautiful!
Agreed. Maybe I'm biased...

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I just hope I didn't jinx it. My sales guy said it was added via text but I won't be satisfied until I see it in writing, on the build sheet

gehmjc21
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Okay guys, my dealer (Ricki Tenafly bmw) just called me and said she could NOT add this in the system, and idea how/why your dealers were able to add?!?! Let me know, I need to call her back. THanks!

XZLR8
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I just hope I didn't jinx it. My sales guy said it was added via text but I won't be satisfied until I see it in writing, on the build sheet
Well, he's right that it can take a few days for the system to update, but my Sales Manager has always been able to print me out an Order Acknowledgement at the time the order was placed, listing all of my options, etc.

XZLR8
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Okay guys, my dealer (Ricki Tenafly bmw) just called me and said she could NOT add this in the system, and idea how/why your dealers were able to add?!?! Let me know, I need to call her back. THanks!
Shadowline Trim is Option # 760.

gehmjc21
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Shadowline Trim is Option # 760.

she doesn't see that as an option in the system. she just called the bmw guys at the port I guess. said she'll let me know what she finds. I told her it was $350 with m sport and she said she'll let me know the price and if it effects my delivery date - which isn't until july? wtf?!

XZLR8
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
she doesn't see that as an option in the system. she just called the bmw guys at the port I guess. said she'll let me know what she finds. I told her it was $350 with m sport and she said she'll let me know the price and if it effects my delivery date - which isn't until july? wtf?!
I had to complete a "Special Order Form" to lock in the option. I also special-ordered the Anthracite Headliner, since I wasn't opting for M-Sport. Both were indicated on the same form and neither added time to my build.

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I had to complete a "Special Order Form" to lock in the option. I also special-ordered the Anthracite Headliner, since I wasn't opting for M-Sport. Both were indicated on the same form and neither added time to my build.

Hmm, I never actually filled out the special order form. I did it all through text messages. I just texted him and told him the option number and that two other people had it done. He said he will try that day and the next morning he told me it was added. I guess I'll see what happens.

reveur
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
My CA when I asked him about the shadowline said he would call someone at the port. What port or what exactly that means I unfortunately do not know. He was back with me within half hour stating that it could be done and gave me the price at that time.

I do not know if dealers talk to each other for help but for what it is worth my sales person is Dennis Merrick at Towne BMW in the Buffalo area. She could call him for help?

XZLR8
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Hmm, I never actually filled out the special order form. I did it all through text messages. I just texted him and told him the option number and that two other people had it done. He said he will try that day and the next morning he told me it was added. I guess I'll see what happens.
Actually, I misspoke. My Sales Manager filled it out. I just have a copy. (It's the same PDF form that I emailed to you.)

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Actually, I misspoke. My Sales Manager filled it out. I just have a copy. (It's the same PDF form that I emailed to you.)

Ahh ok. Thanks. That's a little more comforting.

gehmjc21
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
okay thank you guys, I passed along Dennis' name in case she wants to call him. You said it should be $350 if I have m-sport?

here's a stupid question - why do they call it shadowline trim? I've never had it before nor since it in person. I've seen the the photos on here, it doesn't emphasize a shadow? K, it's Friday and I need to get through two more hours of work, entertain me :)

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
okay thank you guys, I passed along Dennis' name in case she wants to call him. You said it should be $350 if I have m-sport?

here's a stupid question - why do they call it shadowline trim? I've never had it before nor since it in person. I've seen the the photos on here, it doesn't emphasize a shadow? K, it's Friday and I need to get through two more hours of work, entertain me :)

Well, I hope it's $350 with M-Sport. All we know is Raveur paid $350 and he got M-Sport while XZLR8 paid $475(?) and he didn't get M-Sport.

As for why it is called Shadowline, I would say it is more shadow looking than the aluminum look. Lol I dunno. Seriously though, just a marketing thing I'm sure as shadows are synonymous with dark. Then again, you need light to cast a shadow...

I'm trying really hard here to entertain you so gimme a break lol :)

reveur
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, the cost was $350.00 USD. As to its name probably called so because it sounds sell-able......IDK.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0842.jpg

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0843.jpg

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0836.jpg

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0825.jpg

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0785.jpg

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0789.jpg

A shameless plug to my daily driver

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/nicolak2735/IMG_0741.jpg

That is all the entertainment time I can provide. Hope your order gets sorted and you can enjoy the shadowline trim.

gehmjc21
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
those pictures are entertaining enough!!! absolutely gorgeous. I've never been a fan of silver until now. the lines on the 6er in silver are the best IMHO.

well if it was a week from today I'd be plenty busy, the greatest two days in college sports.

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Reveur, that's some garage you got there. It looks like a BMW Service Center lol. Couch and all :)

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes, the cost was $350.00 USD. As to its name probably called so because it sounds sell-able......IDK.

For making it sound so sell-able...

they sure are making it a pain in the ass to buy... LMAO

reveur
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the compliment about the garage. I have been working with cars for about twenty years and in that time I have become old and grumpy in the aging years. :mad: I like the quietness and isolation on my side of the garage.... and can take a nap when so inclined.

Great part is I park in the second garage door area you see in some of the photos. So convenient.

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the compliment about the garage. I have been working with cars for about twenty years and in that time I have become old and grumpy in the aging years. :mad: I like the quietness and isolation on my side of the garage.... and can take a nap when so inclined.

Great part is I park in the second garage door area you see in some of the photos. So convenient.

Your side of the garage?

Does your wife have her side of the kitchen?

If that was my garage, I would take claim to the whole thing lol

Sorry if that was tasteless. Just a joke, really I promise :)

reveur
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
My side meaning away from my employees and office/customers etc. I choose the bachelor life anyway, so no worries.

I will post better pics when I can get the car outside. I have only driven it from the dealership to my shop for prep/cleaning and then home where it has sat for the past couple weeks unmoved. Roads here are covered with grit and salt still. It has been a mild winter but still rather not expose it to those conditions. Did not want the car until April but with the incentives they offered for December I had to jump on it, no brainer.

You folks that can use yours I am envious. Enjoy.

Itinj6
03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Ahh ok lol. I always get kicked out of the kitchen :)

Nice weather will be here soon enough

JONNYCHIRO
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
They kicked around the name "Rainbow Racing Ribbons"
But it failed in test marketing.

:(

SHADOWLINE Trim was the runner up and thus we have the nomenclature.

:):):)::):):):)/)/)

gehmjc21
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
They kicked around the name "Rainbow Racing Ribbons"
But it failed in test marketing.

:(

SHADOWLINE Trim was the runner up and thus we have the nomenclature.

:):):)::):):):)/)/)

Haha I like it.

JONNYCHIRO
03-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Yeah that's coming from me, the renowned genius, who posts questions like "How do I Use Valet Key..."

Mind you this is my 4th Bimmer...

I'm a doozy. :)

gehmjc21
03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I just got an email from my CA, she's able to add Shadowline for ($350/$325) without any problems!

southern6er22
03-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm interested in seeing the MY 2013 to see if they make it standard. I'm also curious to see if they add the new touch pad iDrive controller to the 6er that is supposed to be on the new X5 and 7er LCI coming this summer. It's an interesting concept, but it's usability is questionable.

XZLR8
03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm also curious to see if they add the new touch pad iDrive controller to the 6er that is supposed to be on the new X5 and 7er LCI coming this summer. It's an interesting concept, but it's usability is questionable.
The touch pad thing seems pretty gimmicky in the Audi models that offer it. I'm just not sure what it would really add to the iDrive experience.

XZLR8
03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I just got an email from my CA, she's able to add Shadowline for ($350/$325) without any problems!
Awesome.

gehmjc21
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Southern - are you talking about MY 2013 being this summer or next? I really wish they put the valvetronic engine in the 650i/xi that they're putting in the gran coupe.

southern6er22
03-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Southern - are you talking about MY 2013 being this summer or next? I really wish they put the valvetronic engine in the 650i/xi that they're putting in the gran coupe.

I'm talking about MY 2013 that should be out this spring/summer (mine is a MY 2012, December 2011 production). It's kind of a toss up for what they'll do about that. From my perspective as a recent buyer, I'd rather not see too many changes so early in the life of this new model. Significant changes like that will really hurt resale of a 2012 v. 2013 and quickly make the car dated by comparison. If I were getting ready to purchase, I'd definitely be hoping for the power bump, auto trunk, soft-close, shadowline, etc. Just hard to tell what they're going to do at this point. They might also reserve the power bump for the GC to further justify the price bump (and its necessity given the weight gain). The 750i/750Li is also getting the 450 hp engine, but it also has the weight - but not the hefty 6er price tag. Who knows...

There's definitely something to be said for keeping the cars as current as possible, but doing that and pissing off recent customers of top of the line cars (with so many alternatives offered by other brands) is risky. It's like anything else these days regarding technology - wait three months and there's going to be a newer, better model. I'll still love my car if they make these changes, but I'll be a little annoyed...

The new iDrive controller is supposed to have a touch pad on the top of the knob, and you use your finger on the touch pad to input numbers, letters, etc. It seems like there is a lot of room for error in that process - that's my understanding of it anyway. Seems to me that they'd be better off advancing the speech recognition to a smarter, less rigid version (similar to Siri on the iPhone). I think you'd still have to look at the screen to make sure that it got your letters/numbers correct before submitting the information.

gehmjc21
03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm talking about MY 2013 that should be out this spring/summer (mine is a MY 2012, December 2011 production). It's kind of a toss up for what they'll do about that. From my perspective as a recent buyer, I'd rather not see too many changes so early in the life of this new model. Significant changes like that will really hurt resale of a 2012 v. 2013 and quickly make the car dated by comparison. If I were getting ready to purchase, I'd definitely be hoping for the power bump, auto trunk, soft-close, shadowline, etc. Just hard to tell what they're going to do at this point. They might also reserve the power bump for the GC to further justify the price bump (and its necessity given the weight gain). The 750i/750Li is also getting the 450 hp engine, but it also has the weight - but not the hefty 6er price tag. Who knows...

There's definitely something to be said for keeping the cars as current as possible, but doing that and pissing off recent customers of top of the line cars (with so many alternatives offered by other brands) is risky. It's like anything else these days regarding technology - wait three months and there's going to be a newer, better model. I'll still love my car if they make these changes, but I'll be a little annoyed...

The new iDrive controller is supposed to have a touch pad on the top of the knob, and you use your finger on the touch pad to input numbers, letters, etc. It seems like there is a lot of room for error in that process - that's my understanding of it anyway. Seems to me that they'd be better off advancing the speech recognition to a smarter, less rigid version (similar to Siri on the iPhone). I think you'd still have to look at the screen to make sure that it got your letters/numbers correct before submitting the information.

All very good points. You'd hate to see the value of the car decrease due to major changes within a year. I never understand why they don't offer the same options in all countries? I.e. soft close, etc. I'm "settling" for the automatic but I really would have enjoyed the 6mt in this car.
I'm taking delivery July 9th, so I'm guessing my production will be early June, will that be considered MY? BTW I added ARS and shadowline, removing the seating package. I've never seen shadowline in person so I hope I'm not disappointed! The pics look good though. ARS - I hope I can feel a difference there too. Coming from my S4 I know it's going to be more of a GT car, but ARS should help out in the corners. All and all I wish it was summer - it's been snowing all day in upstate NY!!! :thumbdwn:

southern6er22
03-05-2012, 02:21 PM
All very good points. You'd hate to see the value of the car decrease due to major changes within a year. I never understand why they don't offer the same options in all countries? I.e. soft close, etc. I'm "settling" for the automatic but I really would have enjoyed the 6mt in this car.
I'm taking delivery July 9th, so I'm guessing my production will be early June, will that be considered MY? BTW I added ARS and shadowline, removing the seating package. I've never seen shadowline in person so I hope I'm not disappointed! The pics look good though. ARS - I hope I can feel a difference there too. Coming from my S4 I know it's going to be more of a GT car, but ARS should help out in the corners. All and all I wish it was summer - it's been snowing all day in upstate NY!!! :thumbdwn:

The 8-speed auto is really good. It may not be quite as interactive as a manual, but I think it works really well with this car.

I'd guess it will be MY 2013 being produced that late. It's hard to tell. They started MY 2012 in the early spring of 2011 when they launched the convertibles, and you'd think they'd keep the convertibles and coupes on the same MY cycle now that both have been launched for the sake of consistency within the line (excluding 6er GC). Maybe at the very least you'll get soft-close and shadowline as standard. Those would be more along the lines of package resuffling (more typical for a MY change) rather than a significant change like a different engine.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the shadowline. It's just a sportier look having the dark framing rather than the brushed aluminum. I'm glad they at least made the aluminum bulky enough that it is substantial rather than looking like a cheap piece of framing. I'm probably going to change out my trim to shadowline at some point in the near future - especially if they add it to the 2013 M Sport package in US spec. I like the look of it better, despite the fact that the aluminum is growing on me, and when I sell it there won't be that drastic difference between a 2012 and a 2013 M Sport 6er.

I think the ARS + xDrive is a really good combo. The car doesn't feel nearly as big as it actually is. I notice the size more when I'm parking than when I'm driving. You sit very low, and it's hard to see where the front of the car actually is, but the sensors and cameras remedy this issue. It has enough power and torque to compensate for the size, and I think the all-wheel drive and roll stabilization improve the handling and feel of the car. I was going pretty fast getting on the interstate the other day, and I made a pretty big swerve to miss hitting some road kill (it's a southern stereotype for a reason lol). The car was astonishingly flat, and the steering was extremely precise. Definitely felt like I was in a nimble little sports coupe rather than a 2400 pound, long wheel base car.

leejak
03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi all:

Picked up my ED 640 today at the welt....got the shadowline trim as a stand alone option...see photo....

Alpine White
Ivory Nappa
M-sport
Premiem sound
Heated Seats
Heads up
Shadowline Trim

JONNYCHIRO
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Black on White. Sexy!!!

Itinj6
03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
That white with black Shadowline is teh sex

JONNYCHIRO
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
That white with black Shadowline is teh sex

It's bumba clot awesome!!!!!!

LOFL!!!!!;););):):(:)

Itinj6
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
It's bumba clot awesome!!!!!!

I think you got a new favorite phrase hahaha.

southern6er22
03-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Don't you mean LOBCL?!? Not quite as pithy, but it works for me.

JONNYCHIRO
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Don't you mean LOBCL?!? Not quite as pithy, but it works for me.

Now that's a seriously bumba clot funny post. I cracked up!

johnd1976
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
The garage looks as sweeeet as the car.Must be nice.God Bless you dude

JONNYCHIRO
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
The garage looks as sweeeet as the car.Must be nice.God Bless you dude

No way! That's not the OP's garage!!!!????? Is it?

You're kidding right!!!!!?????

southern6er22
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Isn't that at the Welt?

gehmjc21
03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Exciting news. I just got word from my dealer. Shadow line trim was added to my order at N/C. I looks like its now part of m-sport!!!

XZLR8
03-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Exciting news. I just got word from my dealer. Shadow line trim was added to my order at N/C. I looks like its now part of m-sport!!!
Yea!

Itinj6
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Interesting... I just added mine like a week or so ago and my car is not in production yet. I wonder if I can get the extra charge for the Shadowline Trim waived.

On a side note, this is why I check the online configurator everyday lol. I suspect that when my car finally hits production, I will close the books on it till my next order. It will be too painful to see soft close doors added to the options list a few months down the line. I did not see the Shadowline in the M-Sport description added online yet though.

I feel for the guys that ordered early on before XDrive, M-Sport, etc. Was available.

jordanM3
03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
there is a cost for sure for shadowline - $350 MSRP and $325 invoice.

It shows up on some of the initial build sheets as N/C and option 760, but the later production report will correctly charge for it.

If your deal has decent profit for the dealer they might absorb it....but if you're working a "mini" and working up from invoice (in my case, ED invoice) you'll need to pay it.

gehmjc21
03-19-2012, 11:44 AM

It shows up on some of the initial build sheets as N/C and option 760, but the later production report will correctly charge for it.

If your deal has decent profit for the dealer they might absorb it....but if you're working a "mini" and working up from invoice (in my case, ED invoice) you'll need to pay it.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. Not a deal breaker but good to know. Being the soft close doors next, please.

XZLR8
03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
That was the case with mine. I finally went back and looked.

Itinj6
03-20-2012, 01:29 AM
That was the case with mine. I finally went back and looked.

Ok, so yours was 350 and not the 4xx like you originally thought?

And I was thinking the whole time how messed up it was that they charged you more because you didn't go with M-Sport.

southern6er22
03-20-2012, 01:35 AM

And I was thinking the whole time how messed up it was that they charged you more because you didn't go with M-Sport.

How messed up is it that this isn't standard and I'm gonna pay a butt load to get it changed.

Oh, we've already covered this... about six times... my bad :)

Itinj6
03-20-2012, 01:52 AM
No, not your bad silly.

It's BMWs bad. Those bastards. Only M-sport that doesn't get Shadowline as a standard is the 6. They can kiss my ass.

You, you're good.

XZLR8
03-20-2012, 05:22 AM

Yeah, what I was originally quoted and what was on my window sticker ended up being two different numbers (the sticker ended up being better). Plus, I think I was confusing it with the cost of the anthracite headliner, which I also special ordered. $350, $450... worth every penny, even if it should have been a no-cost option.

(BTW, I was just talking to my salesperson about this, who confirmed that there is no cost different for shadowline trim, whether M-Sport or non. It costs what it costs.)

Itinj6
03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, what I was originally quoted and what was on my window sticker ended up being two different numbers (the sticker ended up being better). Plus, I think I was confusing it with the cost of the anthracite headliner, which I also special ordered. $350, $450... worth every penny, even if it should have been a no-cost option.

(BTW, I was just talking to my salesperson about this, who confirmed that there is no cost different for shadowline trim, whether M-Sport or non. It costs what it costs.)

Ya, that sounds more logical considering the trim on M-Sport and non is interchangeable.

southern6er22
04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Question to those of you who have had several BMWs in the past...

In terms of appearance over time, does the aluminum or shadowline wear better? I guess my concern is that the black might fade or get spotty like I've seen on black trims on other cars. Has BMW developed a way to prevent this from happening by using different materials (better quality, protectants, etc.)? I read somewhere that there are problems with the aluminum trim getting unsightly blemishes, but I don't remember where so I might have dreampt that lol. I just want to know what y'all have experienced after owning Bimmers for several years with the different trims.

I'm really thinking about swapping out the aluminum trim my car came with once the factory shadowline trim is available for aftermarket modification, but I want to make sure that I won't be regretting that change in three or four years since I paid cash rather than leasing. I definitely prefer the shadowline over the aluminum, but I don't hate the aluminum to the point I'm just ready to rip it off right away. I guess I could swap to shadowline now and I can always replace the shadowline in a few years if it doesn't wear well.

Just looking for some opinions and guidance. Thanks.

thom.one.two
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I have had both. I see no difference.

thom.one.two
04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
As with (I think all other BMW's) if you order the sports package, you get shadow line trim. Every car I have had had sports. There was never an issue other than wax changing the black color or Armoral making it smeared looking.

It's funny about shadow line. I don't like it on the F12, but I love it on the F13. I like the alum making the shape of the buttresses. My last 6 had shadow line and the angles look richer to me in alum. Now if I can retro fit those M6 grills in the kidney grills (w/o the m badge) I'm down. But I'm sure they are different sizes.

southern6er22
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
As with (I think all other BMW's) if you order the sports package, you get shadow line trim. Every car I have had had sports. There was never an issue other than wax changing the black color or Armoral making it smeared looking.

It's funny about shadow line. I don't like it on the F12, but I love it on the F13. I like the alum making the shape of the buttresses. My last 6 had shadow line and the angles look richer to me in alum. Now if I can retro fit those M6 grills in the kidney grills (w/o the m badge) I'm down. But I'm sure they are different sizes.

So you're saying that you should not get wax on the shadowline - just wash with the car shampoo?

I like the aluminum trim on the white F13s, especially if the windows have the original tinting. Like I said above, I don't hate the aluminum on mine, but I think the shadow line would look nicer ("sportier") with the rest of the M Sport Package as it complements the aggressive body kit. I really like the way it looks on Jonny's CB coupe. I looked all over for replacement trim, but I couldn't find any. I really don't want to get it wrapped or dipped if I can find the original factory trim, so I'll probably just hold out until I can get my hands on that.

thom.one.two
04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Just like on the black pieces on your mirrors, if you get wax on them the black changes a bit. My shadow line looked blue after a detail once, but I remember it not staying like that long. I also made the mistake of shining the plastic engine cover under the hood (two bmw's ago). Don't make that mistake. I don't remember what I used, Armoral or Eagle One, but it spotted the cover for good. When I have them wash my car each week, I have them wipe those parts off with water only.

southern6er22
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Good to know. Thanks!

TopDownInFL
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I have had both. I see no difference.

Agreed. Same here.

JONNYCHIRO
04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I looked all over for replacement trim, but I couldn't find any. I really don't want to get it wrapped or dipped if I can find the original factory trim, so I'll probably just hold out until I can get my hands on that.

They option it--so the parts exist. You could get BMW Parts Dept to oder it-- but it's going to be pricey.

Remember, I had an IOU from the dealer for them. It was expensive to the extent that the GM asked if I'd be willing to get the aluminum ones painted.

I really think, in the right hands, it's the way to go--paint them I mean.:thumbup:

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I think I'd rather pay more than have them painted. I really don't trust anyone around here to do it right, and I'd rather pay more and avoid the headaches. If I remember correctly, your invoice was $2000 for the trim and grill, so I'm thinking $1500 for trim alone.

JONNYCHIRO
04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I think I'd rather pay more than have them painted. I really don't trust anyone around here to do it right, and I'd rather pay more and avoid the headaches. If I remember correctly, your invoice was $2000 for the trim and grill, so I'm thinking $1500 for trim alone.

But that was painted.
You can't go off that invoice.

It'll be each part there are 8 of them I think (looks like 3/side but a little one hides under the mirror) and then the labor.

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Yikes! Then if I want to stick with my plan I might have to break into my piggy bank lol.

TopDownInFL
04-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't paint the aluminums... get the real thing.

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't paint the aluminums... get the real thing.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

JONNYCHIRO
04-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

I think the painted aluminum look better.

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I think the painted aluminum look better.

I'm not opposed to the looks of the painted, yours looks great, but getting it done around here is a problem, and the dealership will give me a little more peace of mind than some shop that specializes in modding 1999 Honda Civics. Getting it done out of town is more trouble than it's worth. I'm used to going out of town to gain access to things that modern civilization takes for granted, but it's not as easy with this since it's attached to my car. It's unfortunate, but I've accepted this.

XZLR8
04-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Speaking of the shadowline trim, I took a picture of my shadowlined ride this afternoon when we were walking back to the car. I thought I'd share it now, since I haven't really taken any pictures worthy of forum posting yet (certainly nothing like Southern's gorgeous sig photo). Anyway, a quick iPhone shot...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=26867

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Speaking of the shadowline trim, I took a picture of my shadowlined ride this afternoon when we were walking back to the car. I thought I'd share it now, since I haven't really taken any pictures worthy of forum posting yet (certainly nothing like Southern's gorgeous sig photo). Anyway, a quick iPhone shot...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=26867

I don't see it :(

XZLR8
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't see it :(
Seriously? It's in your quote of my post, too.

Did I screw up the posting? (This is entirely possible.) I added it to my album on here, then linked to it in my post using the "Insert Image" button. Is that not the way...?

[EDIT: I just added it to my signature, too. Is that working for you?]

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Yep. Just got it (your signature). Whatever change you made worked. The quote of your previous post was just text.

Car looks great, by the way. Those 19s sure look good for being the standard wheels.

XZLR8
04-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Those 19s sure look good for being the standard wheels.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been a fan of standard wheel offerings on any of my BMWs, but I really love these 19s. The fact that I can keep the same set of wheels and tires on the car year-round is a huge bonus for me.

southern6er22
04-15-2012, 11:17 PM
I can imagine that's annoying. All I know are sunny and rainy... typically alternating multiple times each day every day of the year.