PDA

View Full Version : Debating Between 640ic and 650ic

Socal1979
11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
All,

The lease on my 2008 650ic ends in a couple of months and I am looking to lease another 6 series convertible. I am debating between the 640ic and 650ic. A few questions:

How is the power on the 640ic?

Is it comparable to the previous generation 650ic?

Thanks,

Socal1979

Superschnell
11-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Here are my experiences with the 640i through the first 4 months:
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585521
I never tested the former generation 6, so I can't make any comparison.

Good luck and happy choice :thumbup:

TopDownInFL
11-17-2011, 07:16 PM
A few notes from another driver who went from an '08 to a '12:

- If you loved the growl of your 650, you are not going to hear it on the 640
- The cost difference in a lease is around $100 and change
- I drove the x40 engine and it wasn't the same kind of power as my '08 650. The TT6 engine works much harder to accomplish the same (and sometimes more then) as the '08 V8. The TT8 in the new 6 is tremendously different than what you're currently driving.

Now, there's nothing wrong at all with the 640 - it's a VERY respectable car. BUT... if you are wanting to have a similar driving experience to your current car, the 650 is the most similar.

Socal1979
11-18-2011, 11:04 AM
TopDownInFL,

Thanks for your feedback. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'd like to know why you switched to a coup, and your thoughts about the coup as compared to the convertible.

Thanks again.

Socal1979

TopDownInFL
11-19-2011, 07:38 AM
TopDownInFL,

Thanks for your feedback. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'd like to know why you switched to a coup, and your thoughts about the coup as compared to the convertible.

Thanks again.

Socal1979

Quite welcome!

I've had verts for the last 5 years (and two 3er verts years ago). I fell in love with the new 6 in general, and as I began looking at them, the lines on the coupe appeal to me more than the convertible. While I enjoy the top down ride, I'm actually not missing it and am really enjoying the quietness of the coupe that the convertible doesn't have.

On the practical side, I've started a new job that requires a bit more car time, which is being offset by having calls in the car. I needed a more quiet car. (ok, ok - I'm just rationalizing so I could purchase the new car, but it *is* a really real reason... isn't it? ;) )

The panoramic moon roof is amazing - it's not the same as the top down, but allows me to enjoy the sky just the same.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

AMIL
11-22-2011, 01:16 AM
i drove the 640i on the autobahn last week (ED). it went well past 160MPH and had a quick acceleration all around. If you have to question it you probably dont need the extra power. Plus the MPG difference pretty significant .

Socal1979
11-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I ended up getting the 650ic. I am very happy with it. It drives worlds better/smoother than my 2008 650ic.

I also test drove the 640ic. I have to say, I was very impressed with the power.

The 650ic was a better buy for me given the options I wanted.

Superschnell
11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Congrats! A great car :thumbup:

TopDownInFL
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Couldn't make a wrong choice on this one!

GreyCoupe
11-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Both great cars. There is no substitute for cubic inches [or centimeters]...

Elias
11-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Cali is a very nice state to own a vert, you made a very good decision on the 650i this car really pulls and I still haven't broken her in yet!

long time
11-23-2011, 05:46 AM
650 Is the way to go !

Jukeboxhero
11-23-2011, 08:20 AM
i have driven the 640i, 650i and 650xi. The 640i was the only one with roll-stabilization, but frankly in sport mode I didn't notice a significant difference. The 640i, for all intents and purposes, meets my needs best, and yes, largely due to increased fuel economy. The new transmission allows the 640's low end torque to be translated into impressive acceleration without the traditional 'jerkiness' of auto transmissions. However, the question of value for my dollar also has me quite stumped.
No matter how I slice it, the 2 things that really bother me about the 640 are wheels and seats (interior finish). Upgrading wheels within a package takes away all season tires -- I think performance tires are frankly overrated for my style of driving and usually mean i have to find a different mode of transportation the 5 or 6 days a year is snows. Adding upgraded leather, as you mention, is a $6000 touch.
Bottom line, I don't see anyway to build a 640 the way I like without nearly getting to the 650i price. So then its a question of fuel savings vs residual value. I imagine the 650i wins the latter hands down, but cost me an additional $600/yr in fuel.
Throw in the other intangibles like exhaust pipes, push you back in your seat acceleration, and "prestige", and I think the choice for me has to be the 650i. I wish BMW gave a cafeteria approach to options, but I guess their approach is successful in getting as money as they can from me!!

Good luck in your choice.

Superschnell
11-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Obviously there is a different price policy in the US compared to over here in Europe. In Scandinavia, in Germany and probably the other European countries as well, the standard equipment is identical for 640 and 650, cabriolet and coupe.
There is only one exception: 17" wheels for the 640' 18" for the 650.

All prices for options are equal as well. Standard interior is Dakota for both, and upgrading to Nappa has equal cost.

I wonder why they differ in this policy :dunno:

car-fan
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Obviously there is a different price policy in the US compared to over here in Europe. In Scandinavia, in Germany and probably the other European countries as well, the standard equipment is identical for 640 and 650, cabriolet and coupe.
There is only one exception: 17" wheels for the 640' 18" for the 650.

All prices for options are equal as well. Standard interior is Dakota for both, and upgrading to Nappa has equal cost.

I wonder why they differ in this policy :dunno:

They (BMW NA) seems to be constantly changing the options and packages on the US configuration. Now I see you can go beyond Nappa to Merino leather by selecting an 'Individual" interior/exterior package. Personally, I really don't see much of a difference between Nappa and Merino leather .....:dunno: But the contrast stitching on the "full canyon brown" seats look good - damn!

BravoMikeWiskey
11-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I test drove both cars last weekend, and the first thing that I noticed after driving the 640i coupe was how powerful it was. I've driven 535i on several occasions and never felt the surge of power like I did in the 640i. In my unscientific seat of the pants opinion, the 640i is underrated, would be curious to see dyno numbers on one. After driving 640i and 650i back to back, I came away thinking that in real world, on US roads, the performance difference between the two cars is negligible. In fact, I welcomed the 18 inch wheels on the 640i as compared to the 19s on 650i for two reasons: less ride harshness and in my neck of the woods on 'maintenance deferred roads', one could almost skip the $2000 Tire & Wheel coverage premium with the 18 inch wheels, which would be obligatory on the 19inch wheel set up. And I'm still trying to decide if I could care less about the "Nappa leather vs Dakota leather advantage" or I simply don't care.

Resale value argument is unproven thus far. From the few 2011 740 cars that I've seen sold, they were sold for less of a 750i vs 740i difference as a used car than when they were new. So that if when new the difference was 10k, used, the gap narrowed to about 5-6k. The gap may prove to be even tighter with 6 series cars: a highly desirable GT car with no real competition in the segment. Time will tell.

With 640i 'that good', I see only one solid reason to sway in the direction of the 650i: the availability of manual transmission. :thumbup:

Elias
11-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I test drove both cars last weekend, and the first thing that I noticed after driving the 640i coupe was how powerful it was. I've driven 535i on several occasions and never felt the surge of power like I did in the 640i. In my unscientific seat of the pants opinion, the 640i is underrated, would be curious to see dyno numbers on one. After driving 640i and 650i back to back, I came away thinking that in real world, on US roads, the performance difference between the two cars is negligible. In fact, I welcomed the 18 inch wheels on the 640i as compared to the 19s on 650i for two reasons: less ride harshness and in my neck of the woods on 'maintenance deferred roads', one could almost skip the $2000 Tire & Wheel coverage premium with the 18 inch wheels, which would be obligatory on the 19inch wheel set up. And I'm still trying to decide if I could care less about the "Nappa leather vs Dakota leather advantage" or I simply don't care.

Resale value argument is unproven thus far. From the few 2011 740 cars that I've seen sold, they were sold for less of a 750i vs 740i difference as a used car than when they were new. So that if when new the difference was 10k, used, the gap narrowed to about 5-6k. The gap may prove to be even tighter with 6 series cars: a highly desirable GT car with no real competition in the segment. Time will tell.

With 640i 'that good', I see only one solid reason to sway in the direction of the 650i: the availability of manual transmission. :thumbup:

I have the 20" wheels and frankly there is no harshness what so ever, the 20" wheels and tire combo is very smooth imo, much more smoother then my 09 E60 18" wheels with Sport package.

Superschnell
11-25-2011, 01:38 PM

It's easy for me to agree. No lack of power in any situation, and you never miss those extra 87 hp. It's easy to underestimate, since the engine spins like a turbine, smooth and easy all the way to 7000 rpm. From 5000 the sound is a little race like, yet cultivated.

In the 650 however you feel the power right through your bones, and you never doubt there is plenty of it. The forceful V8 sound is a satisfaction you don't get with the inline 6.
Still, the 6 cylinder had it's own unique character, and I love it.

Btw I agree with Elias about the 20" wheels. It sharpens the ride without being harsh, and makes the handling even more precise.

car-fan
11-25-2011, 06:13 PM
It's easy for me to agree. No lack of power in any situation, and you never miss those extra 87 hp. It's easy to underestimate, since the engine spins like a turbine, smooth and easy all the way to 7000 rpm. From 5000 the sound is a little race like, yet cultivated.

In the 650 however you feel the power right through your bones, and you never doubt there is plenty of it. The forceful V8 sound is a satisfaction you don't get with the inline 6.
Still, the 6 cylinder had it's own unique character, and I love it.

Btw I agree with Elias about the 20" wheels. It sharpens the ride without being harsh, and makes the handling even more precise.

+1 and Ditto on the 356 20's :thumbup::thumbup: They have to be one of the better OEM wheel designs out there period - regardless of manufacturer. Ohh yeah they ride good too!

Just My Humble Opinion Of Course:angel:

BravoMikeWiskey
11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
+1 and Ditto on the 356 20's :thumbup::thumbup: They have to be one of the better OEM wheel designs out there period - regardless of manufacturer. Ohh yeah they ride good too!

Just My Humble Opinion Of Course:angel:

I wish I did most of my driving in SoFla, with your well maintained roads and mild climate....Come visit us up North in NYC with your fancy-pants 20 inch wheels and ultra-low (30) profile tires...:bigpimp:

TopDownInFL
11-26-2011, 05:49 AM
I wish I did most of my driving in SoFla, with your well maintained roads and mild climate....Come visit us up North in NYC with your fancy-pants 20 inch wheels and ultra-low (30) profile tires...:bigpimp:

:rofl:

thom.one.two
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
The 640 is a nice car, but the 650 is in a different league. The sound that it makes is better than my Panamera S. I debated between the 650 and the 640, but at the end, the 650 is just so much better IMAO.

TexasBMW
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
The engine does sound really good in the 650. And I like the transmission Very much. Both smooth and Quick too.

Just curious how the PS and 650 compare? I am looking at those two and the upcoming gran coupé as well.

The 640 is a nice car, but the 650 is in a different league. The sound that it makes is better than my Panamera S. I debated between the 650 and the 640, but at the end, the 650 is just so much better IMAO.

svp66
12-03-2011, 07:36 AM
One plus on the 650 from me - but not based on performance. I live in Minnesota, so XDrive was a must for me, and is offered only on the 650. I had an SLK for 3 years, and while I did use it daily (obviously on winter tires), I remember driving in fear every time there was snow on the ground.... No problems with the 335xi I had, and hopefully no problem with the 650 xdrive now - will test it later today, sounds like we are getting our first real snow today.

thom.one.two
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I love both cars. The only significant drawback to the 650 is that there is literally no back seat. If ever you want to take two other people for a ride, forget about it, unless they are eight years old and you don't mind pulling you seat up to the dash. And as a 2007 335 convertable owner before my last 650, I don't get how they can make the 335 back seat bigger than the one in the 650.

The Panamera is in its own class. It is more fun to drive than the 650. It feels huge on the road, but it is always planted and predictable. I like technology, and the PS has some cool tricks, but the 650 is just all out bad-ass. In the PS, I only have the Bose sound system. There is a better system, but the salesman at the time when I ordered it said that there was not a significant difference between the two, so I skipped it. In the Bimmer, I opted for the Bang and Olfsen sound system. OMFG! I have never experienced sound so perfect and so damn loud!

So, with cameras that show you a bird's eye view of the car, ability to park itself perfectly every time, a radio that you can time-shift to rewind what was ON THE RADIO WHEN YOUR CAR WAS OFF (I was shocked at this feature), lane departure, ability to put the top down (and in Austin, where I think you live, the drive to Lake Travis would be better in the 650) and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, the tech nod goes to the Bimmer. Opt for the M Sport and Bang sound system tho. It's not the same car without those two options.

If you want to be able to move people around, lay down your rear seats and carry freaking anything, and enjoy the rumble of a Porsche , the Panamera S is your ticket. If you haven't ridden in one, you should. The back seat is limo big.

My Panamera has had minor electronic issues. It has been in the shop a lot. It was the first model year, so I went in knowing that I would be the test case for this car. Currently, it has minor issues like the horn not chiming when I lock the door, but I am so tired of bringing it in to the dealer, I just going to wait until next service. I bought it in Austin at Roger Beasley, BTW. I live in Houston. Service is not cheap, and oil changes and "maintenance" is on you. With the Bimmer, everything is included for 5 years. But if you can pay $121,000.00 for a car, you shouldn't grip about paying for oil, I know. But I still will.

thom.one.two
12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
2012 650 Convertible Nov 2012