PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear RFT Tires

magnumforc
11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Everyone should be aware that dealers may not know about road hazard damage coverage on your run flat tires. Most non-run flats tires exclude road hazard damage, but Goodyear run flats do not. Here is what I confirmed through a phone call today with Goodyear, and also what my BMW Dealer also confirmed when writing the order for a replacement Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFT tire:

The latest straight from Goodyear is:

1. They will replace the Goodyear Run Flat tires for up to 6 years from the date of purchase or until 2/32 of tead is left, whichever occurs first. (We all know most drivers will never see that much mileage from RFT's)

2. For the first 12 months or with 2/32" or less tread wear, Goodyear will replace the tire free of charge. You pay for mounting and balancing.

3. After 12 months or 2/32" wear, you pay a pro-rated amount based on wear. This still saves a lot over the cost of a new tire.

If you have a problem, call Goodyear at 1-800-321-2136 and have Customer Service set up a file number for you. They will handle any problems so you can get your exchange done with no problems. Have the dealer contact that number with your file number to clarify any issues they have.

I saved about $350 on a new tire by checking and making that call to verify coverage!

lexhair
11-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Good stuff. I'm sure this works at an independent tire dealer as well as the BMW dealer, right?

Wardman
11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
From what I've been told about independents is it is even better. They cannot get the RFT LS2's and are swapping you out for comprable tire of your choice (kind of hoping I can get my Micehelin Primacy's that way :-)

Or I may buck up and put the LS2's in my basement until I need to turn in the lease.

decisions, decisions.... (I cannot find Conti DWS for the car in my size).

Capobranco
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Everyone should be aware that dealers may not know about road hazard damage coverage on your run flat tires. Most non-run flats tires exclude road hazard damage, but Goodyear run flats do not. Here is what I confirmed through a phone call today with Goodyear, and also what my BMW Dealer also confirmed when writing the order for a replacement Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFT tire:

1. They will replace the Goodyear Run Flat tires for up to 6 years from the date of purchase or until 2/32 of tead is left, whichever occurs first. (We all know most drivers will never see that much mileage from RFT's)

2. For the first 12 months or with 2/32" or less tread wear, Goodyear will replace the tire free of charge. You pay for mounting and balancing.

3. After 12 months or 2/32" wear, you pay a pro-rated amount based on wear. This still saves a lot over the cost of a new tire.

If you have a problem, call Goodyear at 1-800-321-2136 and have Customer Service set up a file number for you. They will handle any problems so you can get your exchange done with no problems. Have the dealer contact that number with your file number to clarify any issues they have.

I saved about $350 on a new tire by checking and making that call to verify coverage!

Indeed... looks like I got screwed. Got a bubble in my right front Goodyear Excellence, and took it to a my BMW dealer, who sold Goodyear tires and they were useless - warranty...duh...what warranty. So I took my GT to a Goodyear dealer. The dealer told me the warranty was good only for 12 months from date of the car's manufacture. The bubble occurred 13 months out....$480 later....caveat emptor.

Enough already....I switched to new Conti Extreme DWS - I'm not looking back.

BTW the idea of runflats are great but the reality is something else...so your runflat saves you from changing a tire along the side of the road...but your driving range is limited to 50 miles and replacements are hard to find and frequently back ordered for months.

magnumforc
11-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Good stuff. I'm sure this works at an independent tire dealer as well as the BMW dealer, right?

It would work at a Goodyear dealer, more likely at a Goodyear Company store. I fully agree the problem is finding the tires as Capobranco says, they're hard to find and back ordered most of the time. That's the beauty of using the BMW dealer...they all use Dealer Tire who have access to where the tires are and how long it will take to get them. Other dealers may not have them, or may be far downstream on the tire access "food chain." Also interesting to note that how fast a dealer gets a tire from Dealer tire is determined by the exigency of the situation. If a car is undriveable, the tire will likely be sent to arrive the next day. If the car is driveable, the tire may take several days or more to arrive. So, if you're planning on a trip, let that be known as an emergent issue so your tire comes along faster.

I didn't know about how Goodyear was going to handle the warranty and the dealer was going to charge for the tire. But I called Goodyear while the dealer was ordering the tire and got the straight story and presented it to the dealer, who in turn called Goodyear while I was there. Result was a savings of just about $407 (they covered tire, tax, balance and mounting) and one happy customer who now has one less worry about the run flats.

We have 8 of them on 2 535i GT's so we do know the expense we could incur at any time. But knowing they are covered, even pro-rated is a relief.

Caveat here is to carry that Goodyear customer service number with you and make contact with them as soon as you have a problem. They will want to know your purchase date and mileage on the tires. Your dealer will measure the tread and you'll get an estimated replacement cost if it's over the free replacement. The toll-free number to Goodyear is 1-800-321-2136 :thumbup:

Victon
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Do you need a prepaid tire insurance for that?

magnumforc
12-24-2011, 09:40 PM
No. No tire insurance is required, The coverage goes with the original Goodyear RFT tires from the factory. Just remember the more time and mileage, the more cost it will be to the owner to replace the tire. If the tires is over 12 months old, the cost becomes prorated. If you're hard on tires, you could end up footing half the bill even after say 18 months. All depends on tread wear and time.

The exact cost saved in November was $406.07 according to the copy of the BMW invoice!

gmblack3
12-25-2011, 06:59 AM
So the GY RFTs come on the standard style 234 18" wheels?

TIA!

magnumforc
12-25-2011, 08:40 AM
We have two 535i GT's, a 2010 with 18" standard wheels that was equipped with the Goodyear LS2all season RFT's and a 2011 xDrive with the Sport Package that came with 19" wheels and Goodyear LS2 all season run flats. I don't know if ALL standard wheels will come with Goodyears or not, but looking at the local lots, most do have Goodyears. Remember these Goodyears are produced in Germany so they are installed as OEM tires. BIG problem is availability in the US as they are constantly backordered, or so I am told.