PDA

View Full Version : Ack -- curb rash!!!!!

Bmoody
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I skimmed my right rear wheel taking a turn too tight in a parking lot (< 5 mph). Any recommendations on DIY fix or does all curb rash require professional repair? It is relatively minor but pisses me off nonetheless (first defect on my car)!!! :cry:

jadnashuanh
12-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Getting the silver metalic and clear coat to match is probably not a typical DIY'er fix. If it has dinged the metal, too, that's even harder. You can cover it up, but it depends on how close you get. It will likely show upon close inspection. I know when I did my EU delivery, the first few hundred miles on some narrow in-town streets, I caught a few curbs. Luckily, my tires and wheels survived without visible damage! Not used to that long wheelbase!

car-fan
12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Getting the silver metalic and clear coat to match is probably not a typical DIY'er fix. If it has dinged the metal, too, that's even harder. You can cover it up, but it depends on how close you get. It will likely show upon close inspection. I know when I did my EU delivery, the first few hundred miles on some narrow in-town streets, I caught a few curbs. Luckily, my tires and wheels survived without visible damage! Not used to that long wheelbase!

Curb Rash is not the big deal it used to be. Too bad you aren't in SoFla because my wheel guy could have your rim repaired in under 30 minutes. Typically wheel refinishing is $75-$100.00 per wheel. Unless your rim is bent ( which I am pretty sure it isn't) don't let them try and tell you that the tire/rim has to be removed from the car. It's likely your dealer has a contractor who refinishes the wheels on the "lot cars" that require touchup/repair. Check with some of your local detailers for competitive quotes on the fix..

CoreyMNK
12-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm on my phone now, but when I get on my computer ill post a link to a thread with a diy to fix curb rash. It's in the e39 section.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer

kashrahman
12-04-2011, 06:31 AM
i've read about DIY repairs -- seems simple enough for minor scratches. be glad it wasn't worse. wife has 4500 miles on her GT. around 3000 I asked her . . .
me: why is the steering wheel vibrating?
her: what vibration?
me: see? the steering wheel is vibrating! look!
her: I've never noticed that before.
me (thinking to myself -- has it always done this? what's going on?)
fastforward one week later . .
dealer: so you have 2 bent rims. we'll need to fix both . . . .
(wife later admitted to a pothole misadventure at night. well, stuff happens . . . )

Mikez38
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
i've read about DIY repairs -- seems simple enough for minor scratches. be glad it wasn't worse. wife has 4500 miles on her GT. around 3000 I asked her . . .
me: why is the steering wheel vibrating?
her: what vibration?
me: see? the steering wheel is vibrating! look!
her: I've never noticed that before.
me (thinking to myself -- has it always done this? what's going on?)
fastforward one week later . .
dealer: so you have 2 bent rims. we'll need to fix both . . . .
(wife later admitted to a pothole misadventure at night. well, stuff happens . . . )

If you bought the tire/wheel insurance package from BMW the restoration would be covered. Not repaired, Replaced.

gmblack3
12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
How much does the insurance run?

wchewbaka
12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I bought it upon delivery of my car.
$1350 for five years.
I figured at the price of BMW wheels and run flat tires it was a good bet.

1naztyx5
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
If you bought the tire/wheel insurance package from BMW the restoration would be covered. Not repaired, Replaced.

I would read the fine print on that ;)

wchewbaka
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I think the 2 bent rims due to potholes posted above would be covered - but not the OP cosmetic damage.

1naztyx5
12-07-2011, 04:54 AM
I think the 2 bent rims due to potholes posted above would be covered - but not the OP cosmetic damage.

you are correct, when the structure of the wheel is compromise they replace it. but for cosmetic damages you are on hour own.