PDA

View Full Version : Rim And Tire Insurance

Itinj6
12-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Get it or regret it... I am so glad I purchased this option. Since I picked up my 650i, about three weeks ago, it felt like I was driving on very very small speed bumps at speeds above 35 MPH. I thought this was due to the low profile tires and or the roads I was driving on or maybe i was going crazy. My fiancee didnt feel it the from the passenger side but it was felt mostly on the floor/gas pedal and steering wheel and a little on the seat. I thought maybe, just maybe it was normal.

However... just the other day, I noticed a bubble in my front driver side tire. Looking back, I did hit a huge pothole the first night I picked it up on the tire. I took it in and and with no questions asked, I had a new tire in a few hours. Coincidentally, the bumpy sensations disappeared :thumbup:

Just a friendly heads-up, the insurance is a must, more so in the NYC area.

long time
12-04-2011, 05:15 AM
I did not get the insurance on my 2009 650 or my new 2012 650. In the course of the 2009 lease I got a nail in one tire which cost $500 to replace and the insurance then was a $899 cost. Now insurance on the 2012 was offered to me at $1,199 so the break even on tires ( not including a rim ) would be 2 events so the risk reward was a poor value in my opinion. I don't race or drift this vehicle and I'm not the type to wear them until they need replacement and then put nails or screws in to claim road hazard as some do. My local dealer told me of a customer that drift's his 3 series and has come in for 19 sets of tires in 2 years, they have cut him off and are now selling a policy from a vendor with a $5,000 cap on replacements .
Since I live in south florida potholes are less of an issue than the northeast and I'm not overly concerned about damaging my 356 wheels with 30's.

svp66
12-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I did not have one on my 335 - just turned it in after almost 3 years lease. I put winter tires and wheels every year and we do get some sizable potholes in Minnesota. Never had a problem, knock on wood....

Price for one 19" wheel+tire is ~800 at the dealership. You can get better price online (including OEM wheels)

jettie1767
12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
It really depends on where you live. In the Northeast US, where you have giant potholes over the winter months, the tire/wheel insurance is a must, IHMO. I got it for $1,199 for 5 years.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
It really depends on where you live. In the Northeast US, where you have giant potholes over the winter months, the tire/wheel insurance is a must, IHMO. I got it for $1,199 for 5 years.

is that a BMW policy or third party?

jettie1767
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Not a policy. A must = really needed. Unless you can avoid all the potholes on the road during high speed driving.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Not a policy. A must = really needed. Unless you can avoid all the potholes on the road during high speed driving.

Ah, I meant is the 1199 for 5 years underwritten by BMW directly or a third party, like Allstate? :smokin:

Leslierc
12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
More than likely 3rd party I would imagine. Bear in mind that this insurance also covers wheels...replacing one of which would more than cover the cost of the policy.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 11:35 AM
More than likely 3rd party I would imagine. Bear in mind that this insurance also covers wheels...replacing one of which would more than cover the cost of the policy.

no doubt. That's why I asked. I priced out 6 series BMW Tire & Wheel for 3 years, was almost 2k w tax. Not sure 2k for 3yrs is worth it, :thumbdwn: but 1199 for 5 years is a heck of a deal, as long as the coverage is 'real'.

XZLR8
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I got the coverage again with the 6. I have it on my 5 (which has the same bubble-prone Goodyears) and it more than paid for itself when I needed a new wheel & tire a few months into ownership. My policy is through BMW, not a third party.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I got the coverage again with the 6. I have it on my 5 (which has the same bubble-prone Goodyears) and it more than paid for itself when I needed a new wheel & tire a few months into ownership. My policy is through BMW, not a third party.

hope you don't mind letting us know how much the 6 coverage cost and for how long

XZLR8
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
hope you don't mind letting us know how much the 6 coverage cost and for how long
Sure. I did a two year package (the length of my lease) on the 6 and included the wheel/tire insurance, as well as the paintless dent repair coverage... for $1300. I did the same thing on the 5 and my recollection is that it was $950-$1000. The price increase, I was told, was due to the program simply being more expensive on more expensive cars. I don't know that I buy that logic, but I know that if I have to use it at all, it pays for itself.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Sure. I did a two year package (the length of my lease) on the 6 and included the wheel/tire insurance, as well as the paintless dent repair coverage... for $1300. I did the same thing on the 5 and my recollection is that it was $950-$1000. The price increase, I was told, was due to the program simply being more expensive on more expensive cars. I don't know that I buy that logic, but I know that if I have to use it at all, it pays for itself.

has anyone else been able to replicate this? I'm getting much higher quotes through BMW, about the same through third party. :dunno:

XZLR8
12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
has anyone else been able to replicate this? I'm getting much higher quotes through BMW, about the same through third party. :dunno:
I've purchased a dozen vehicles from this dealer, so I was told that I was getting a price break of around $300. I don't know if that's true or not, but they have always been good to me.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Would you mind sharing CA's contact info, I'll give him/her a call to see if I can do a deal of somekind.

XZLR8
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Would you mind sharing CA's contact info, I'll give him/her a call to see if I can do a deal of somekind.
I do business at Kelly BMW (614-471-2277), here in Columbus, Ohio. I'm not sure they'd "do a deal" on an insurance package for an out-of-state customer with whom they have no prior (or even current) relationship, but you're certainly willing to try, I guess.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I do business at Kelly BMW (614-471-2277), here in Columbus, Ohio. I'm not sure they'd "do a deal" on an insurance package for an out-of-state customer with whom they have no prior (or even current) relationship, but you're certainly willing to try, I guess.

thanks. What's the worst that can happen? :D

BravoMikeWiskey
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Just realized Kelly is a dealer name, anyone in particular over there? :D

jettie1767
12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Ah, I meant is the 1199 for 5 years underwritten by BMW directly or a third party, like Allstate? :smokin:

It's BMW tire and wheel insurance.

XZLR8
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Just realized Kelly is a dealer name, anyone in particular over there? :D
The F&I guy's name is Darren Geddes.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
It's BMW tire and wheel insurance.

ok, I'm in at 1199 for 5 years. Who do I call in NJ? :bigpimp:

jettie1767
12-08-2011, 05:05 AM
I just rechecked the paperwork. It is $1600 for 5 years. BMW of Freehold.

Elias
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I just rechecked the paperwork. It is $1600 for 5 years. BMW of Freehold.

Its negotiable I got mine for $1400 and I bought it because it wasn't third party, if it was I would've declined it but its a must, here the roads in Nova aren't that great, lots of pot holes especially after Winter hits there are always pot holes everywhere.

BravoMikeWiskey
12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Its negotiable I got mine for $1400 and I bought it because it wasn't third party, if it was I would've declined it but its a must, here the roads in Nova aren't that great, lots of pot holes especially after Winter hits there are always pot holes everywhere.

I'm getting no where near these numbers. Best I could find was 2400 for 5 yrs on a 650i vert. Maybe it's a New York thing...:dunno:

jettie1767
12-08-2011, 06:36 PM

That's for 5 years?

isildain
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
I bought tire/wheel/ding insurance with my first BMW that was covered by a third party policy. The company was very difficult to work with. I've had to replace three wheels (damaged both front wheels in a road construction area and third wheel to a pothole) as well as one tire. They wanted me to repair the wheels instead of replacing them. I had so much paperwork to do, that after a while, it was no longer worth the headache (probably what they were going for). I vowed never to do business with them again. However, with my next car, I will be getting the insurance, mainly because it is offered directly from BMW.

Elias
12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I bought tire/wheel/ding insurance with my first BMW that was covered by a third party policy. The company was very difficult to work with. I've had to replace three wheels (damaged both front wheels in a road construction area and third wheel to a pothole) as well as one tire. They wanted me to repair the wheels instead of replacing them. I had so much paperwork to do, that after a while, it was no longer worth the headache (probably what they were going for). I vowed never to do business with them again. However, with my next car, I will be getting the insurance, mainly because it is offered directly from BMW.

+1that's exactly the reason why I bought the wheel and tire insurance, if it was 3rd party I would've passed as well.

Elias
12-31-2011, 04:59 PM
That's for 5 years?

I went back to recheck my paperwork and it's actually $1200 for 3 years.

namja007
01-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Happy new year.
How did you guys get it for so low? Everyone at the ny/nj dealerships said that the price went up drastically in last couple months. Is this not true? I was quoted for 3 years up to $2600 and lowest $2400. I had a non bmw tire/wheel insurance with my e64 previously for $600.

So did the price really go up this much or could have gotten for a lot less?

Thanks

isildain
01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I've been told that when I receive my 650 next month, the price should be in the $1300 range. I'm not sure if price differences are region specific, or if your dealer is trying to make an extra few free bucks off of you. I'd check it out with other regional dealers.

Elias
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Happy new year.
How did you guys get it for so low? Everyone at the ny/nj dealerships said that the price went up drastically in last couple months. Is this not true? I was quoted for 3 years up to $2600 and lowest $2400. I had a non bmw tire/wheel insurance with my e64 previously for $600.

So did the price really go up this much or could have gotten for a lot less?

Thanks

I would call some of our board sponsors and ask them to give you a quote, if they can't get it for you cheaper then you know the NY/NJ dealers aren't trying to screw you.

thom.one.two
01-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Houston price is $1100 as well. I have not purchased this on any of my other BMW's because they do not cover curb rash, which usually happens on most cars over the years. Don't they pro-rate that? The dealer tried to sell me that, but I only listened with 1 ear.

HoustonBimmer
03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
One more thumbs up for the tire and wheel package. So as I listed in another thread my car became a shop vac in a flooded Houston in early January. I got my car back two weeks ago and last week took it to Dallas. It ran great and I ma very pleased with how Rusty my service advisor and Rene the technician put in my new engine and LED lights. The next day my TPM showed a low tire. It would not tell me which tire so I reset and hoped it would go away. Well, it did not and when I checked it, the left front tire was low. I filled it and checked in the morning and it was down. So back to Rusty at Advantage BMW downtown. Well, the answer was two front tires. One had a nail and one had a bubble from a Pothole. The good news is no charge to me but $1,050 to the warranty. So at 3,000 miles I have broken even on my BMW tire and wheel package.

As others have said I would seriously consider this option given these tires are about $400/piece at Tire Rack and $450 at the dealer without installation.

mov112
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Has anyone purchased this option recently? Can you purchase after initially declining it? I think I might need to consider getting this. The dealer told me it would cover dings in doors as well.....

ShakeDaddy
09-17-2013, 11:02 PM
If your roads don't have excessive potholes, it's probably a waste of money.

Now if you like the term "Peace of Mind" buy IT and everything else they offer you!! :rofl::rofl:

southern6er22
09-18-2013, 06:35 AM
I didn't get it, and I've been fine (*fingers crossed*), but I have really good roads. I'd definitely get it if I lived in pothole country.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

EmM HoLLa
09-18-2013, 07:31 AM
I got it with my car. It has paid for itself at least twice.. I've had maybe 5 or 6 tires replaced in the last year..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

mov112
09-18-2013, 07:32 AM
The roads here are terrible here in OK .....does anyone know if you can get the insurance after purchase

Leslierc
09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
The roads here are terrible here in OK .....does anyone know if you can get the insurance after purchase

Any and everything can be insured. However, to get this insurance from BMW, I believe that it has to be purchased from the dealership at the time your vehicle is purchased or leased. You'll probably have to get this from a third-party.

Sandytop
09-18-2013, 08:05 AM
In my opinion it is well worth the cost. My wife has it on her '12 vert and used it once already. I opted to not get it on my '12 vert and have bubbled two front tires (at the same time) and wished I would have. You don't have to be a drifter or an aggressive driver to damage the 20" RFT's on these cars. I just wish I would have went with non-rft's when I had to replace the two as it would have been the same cost for all four non-rft's.

Elias
09-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Just to follow up, I hit a pot hole last week on my way to work, it was pretty bad. I got a nice size bubble on the tire and the rim was damaged as well. Well the whole cost of replacing the
rim and tire was $1,492.00. I am really happy right now that I bought the BMW wheel and Tire insurance, here in Northern Virginia its a must, these roads are horrendous!

EmM HoLLa
09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Just to follow up, I hit a pot hole last week on my way to work, it was pretty bad. I got a nice size bubble on the tire and the rim was damaged as well. Well the whole cost of replacing the
rim and tire was $1,492.00. I am really happy right now that I bought the BMW wheel and Tire insurance, here in Northern Virginia its a must, these roads are horrendous!

I second that... Especially with all of the construction going on in the area...