PDA

View Full Version : iPhone adapter cradle

Itinj6
12-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Any benefit in getting this vice just using a USB cable?

I plugged my iPhone in via USB cable and I can get audio for a youtube video but not video (car is in park) while my iPhone says, "video playing on TV screen." Would the adapter allow video or is it not even possible to get video on the idrive screen from the iphone?

Also, while i am on entertainment, how does one get bluetooth audio to work? I have an iPhone 3GS with the most current O/S. Phone works but audio is "grayed out"

Thanks!

svp66
12-04-2011, 07:25 AM
You need to enable bluetooth audio on the phone (go CD/multimedia - bluetooth, then check the bluetooth auadio box). AFter that select external devices in multimedia and your bluetooth phone will pop-up on the list.

The snap-in adapter is supposed to give your phone access to the car antenna - will check if it plays vides.

jettie1767
12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes, adapter cradle will enable video.

unclebnz
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Yes, adapter cradle will enable video.

Adapter will enable video but not on IOS5. Apple seems to have moved the video to its own icon and now BMW doesn't understand. With enough complaints BMW will fix the problem.

svp66
12-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Also when you plug the iPhone in the cradle it disables bluetooth audio for the phone - you'll have to reset it.

Itinj6
12-04-2011, 03:18 PM
You need to enable bluetooth audio on the phone (go CD/multimedia - bluetooth, then check the bluetooth auadio box). AFter that select external devices in multimedia and your bluetooth phone will pop-up on the list.

The snap-in adapter is supposed to give your phone access to the car antenna - will check if it plays vides.

I'm sorry, you said enable bluetooth audio on the phone? I enabled bluetooth on the phone, but it doesnt have an option for audio and/or phone. When I go into the car's settings, it's there but not clickable (grayed out). For me, only bluetooth phone works. I wonder of it's because its an old iPhone.

I just bought the iPhone 4S but of course they dont have a cradle for it yet. At least thats what BMW told me.

Thanks for the replies

svp66
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry, I did not make it clear first time - you have to enable bluetooth audion for your phone, but this is done on the car command system, under bluetooth (audio) options.

Here is a link to a youtube video - not mine but I don't think the owner would mind the link. Start looking around 2 min into it, it's a lot of talk inthe beginning.

Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5q7vjbA0Hg

Itinj6
12-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Sorry, I did not make it clear first time - you have to enable bluetooth audion for your phone, but this is done on the car command system, under bluetooth (audio) options.

Here is a link to a youtube video - not mine but I don't think the owner would mind the link. Start looking around 2 min into it, it's a lot of talk inthe beginning.

Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5q7vjbA0Hg

WOW!!! Thanks for posting this video. I never thought to go to the "Option" button. I gotta try this. Much appreciated!!!

svp66
12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
It's not that intuitive - my dealer did not know how to set it either. You can get to the options also if you bump the control to the right (from blutooth audio). After that it will take a little for your phone to sync. You have to go back to external devices to select it.

thom.one.two
12-07-2011, 10:24 PM
My cradle works fine on my 2012 650. When you cradle the phone, which my salesperson gave to me as a gift (I think they are about 275.00), it enables BMW Apps, ability to watch videos from my IPhone, and getting around my music collection is much easier. For a few days I used the cord, and it was a burdensome process to find music. Reception is better, too, when cradled.

My phone is the 4S and it works fine with the cradle.

Now, I have not read the manual or spent a lot of time figuring the entire system, but if I were you I'd get the cradle.

Itinj6
12-08-2011, 05:07 AM
My cradle works fine on my 2012 650. When you cradle the phone, which my salesperson gave to me as a gift (I think they are about 275.00), it enables BMW Apps, ability to watch videos from my IPhone, and getting around my music collection is much easier. For a few days I used the cord, and it was a burdensome process to find music. Reception is better, too, when cradled.

My phone is the 4S and it works fine with the cradle.

Now, I have not read the manual or spent a lot of time figuring the entire system, but if I were you I'd get the cradle.

Thanks for the heads-up... Reference the bold, my dealer said that the cradle for the iPhone 4S is not even available yet... Is it the same cradle for the older iPhone 4? I have a 4S and want to make sure they are compatible. Thanks!

thom.one.two
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Siri works through the sound system. When touch the home button to pull us Siri, she comes through the speakers and I tell her to write a text, or send and email. She will read it back to me so that I don't take my eyes off the road. The only thing is that I have not found a way to call Siri up using the iControl.

So to answer your question, yes. My phone works just as an IPhone 4s would work using the cradle in my car.

Itinj6
12-09-2011, 03:12 PM
It's not that intuitive - my dealer did not know how to set it either. You can get to the options also if you bump the control to the right (from blutooth audio). After that it will take a little for your phone to sync. You have to go back to external devices to select it.

Thanks again for posting that video. I tried it and got it to work!

Siri works through the sound system. When touch the home button to pull us Siri, she comes through the speakers and I tell her to write a text, or send and email. She will read it back to me so that I don't take my eyes off the road. The only thing is that I have not found a way to call Siri up using the iControl.

So to answer your question, yes. My phone works just as an IPhone 4s would work using the cradle in my car.

That is awesome with the whole Siri thing!!! It's not a matter of want anymore... I need that cradle now lol

danzzz
01-28-2012, 10:20 PM
just got the media snap in cradle today. Can anyone provide some instruction on how to play YouTube videos with it?

Thanks!

Itinj6
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I wish I can help but I don't have the cradle yet. My guess is that you plug it in, select plug-in device from the idrive and click on YouTube from the phone. It should only work while car is stationary unless you have DVDinmotion. If you don't mind me asking, which phone do you have? I have an iPhone 4s and I heard they dont work good for the 4s. Thanks.

danzzz
01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
I wish I can help but I don't have the cradle yet. My guess is that you plug it in, select plug-in device from the idrive and click on YouTube from the phone. It should only work while car is stationary unless you have DVDinmotion. If you don't mind me asking, which phone do you have? I have an iPhone 4s and I heard they dont work good for the 4s. Thanks.

I have iPhone 4S and the cradle's parts # is 84212218390 which I believe supports video playback.

The cradle itself works well with iPhone 4S altho I've seen a few people in the forum have connection issues.

I'm now just trying to find out the way to play youtube and other video streams since I have installed DVDinMotion already. I'm pretty sure some guy here figured it out already and I sent him an IM to get more detailed instruction.

Itinj6
01-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Hmm, I thought it should just play without anything special done. I dunno.

Thanks for the part #

unclebnz
02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I you use a mac there is a program called itube. you can convert youtube videos to play on your iPhone

Itinj6
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I get YouTube on my iPhone, no problem. For some reason though, it doesn't want to transfer to the Idrive screen, even when I am stopped and in Park

unclebnz
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Youtube will not work. You have to convert the video to mp4, or m4v in order to view on idrve.

Itinj6
02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Ahhh ok. I did not know that. Thanks!

danzzz
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Youtube will not work. You have to convert the video to mp4, or m4v in order to view on idrve.

I think I figured out the trick to play YouTube videos without saving them to your iPhone. I also got NetFlix work as well.

Here's the trick (works for both):

You have to first save some vidoes in your iPhone in either MP4 or M4V format. Then once you snap in the cradle, you hit the little video icon in iDrive and the video saved in your iPhone starts playing.

Then, you press the Home button and hit YouTube on your iPhone. Once you select a video on YouTube and hit play, the current one would stop playing and the screen gets black for a few seconds before the new video comes to play.

I guess the key thing is to "activate" the video playback in iDrive by playing some videos saved in iPhone first.

Enjoy...:)

Itinj6
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I think I figured out the trick to play YouTube videos without saving them to your iPhone. I also got NetFlix work as well.

Here's the trick (works for both):

You have to first save some vidoes in your iPhone in either MP4 or M4V format. Then once you snap in the cradle, you hit the little video icon in iDrive and the video saved in your iPhone starts playing.

Then, you press the Home button and hit YouTube on your iPhone. Once you select a video on YouTube and hit play, the current one would stop playing and the screen gets black for a few seconds before the new video comes to play.

I guess the key thing is to "activate" the video playback in iDrive by playing some videos saved in iPhone first.

Enjoy...:)

Well if this works, then there has got to be a way to accomplish this without first playing saved videos. Am I correct in assuming you have to do this everytime?

Either way, nice find!

danzzz
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Well if this works, then there has got to be a way to accomplish this without first playing saved videos. Am I correct in assuming you have to do this everytime?

Either way, nice find!

After you snap in the cradle and hit that little video icon, it plays automatically whatever you saved in iPhone.

However, if you don't have any videos saved in iPhone, it's just not "triggering" the playback feature, I guess. :rolleyes:

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Is the cradle required for the "iPod PlugIn" function? I've tried to access it using my iPhone and the white Apple cable, and it tells me that there are no compatible devices available. The brochure says "the iPhone exports a typical iPod look and control to your BMW through the video connection."

I'm currently using my old iPhone 4 (deactivated/no data plan) as an iPod that stays in my car, so I haven't bothered with the cradle (and the rumors that a new one may be coming soon). I've tried my 4S, and I get cover art but not PlugIn using the Apple cable. I'm wondering if it requires the cradle after reading "through the video connection."

thom.one.two
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
My cradle is a pain in the neck in that sometimes it picks up my iphone as soon as I plug it in, and sometimes I have to press down on the silver bar that says "Media." Once connected, it makes using your phone so much easier than the white cord, in my opinion.

southern6er22
02-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I figure I'll probably need to get a cradle at some point. I'm hoping the do some good stuff with BMW Apps as the current offerings don't do much for me. I'm just using Bluetooth for my calls right now.

The main reason I'm interested in the PlugIn feature is because I'm leaving the screen on entertainment details most of the time as I have nav. on the HUD and other info is beneath the tachometer. I just want to get the most out of the system, and I think PlugIn will be easier to navigate than the normal "external devices" mode - not that it is that difficult to use.

Thebreadman
02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I agree thom.one.two, I find myself using the cradle in my car way more than the white cable. I don't have any issues with it though. It works right away and maintains a connection for me. I use a 4S with iOS 5.

Itinj6
02-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Interesting thing happened today. When I turned the Bluetooth audio on my car, the idrive screen was displaying the details of the last YouTube video I played on my phone. Not the video, but the details for it. No cable or plug in. Strictly through blue tooth. Hmmm, maybe a sign of things that are possible to come.

southern6er22
02-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I sat in my car and tried to get the PlugIn feature to work with both my activated 4S and deactivated 4, and neither would be recognized for PlugIn. I even made sure the the BMW Connected App was launched as I tried to connect. Oh well, guess I'm going to be getting a dock.

thom.one.two
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I played with the plug in feature a bit. I still like using my iphone as an external device. When using it as a plug in, you can't see all the songs in your playlist. You can only see one at a time, and you have to nudge the iController over to change songs. I also couldn't get videos up on it (and it may be that I literally played with it for less than a minute).

It seems to me that snapping into the adapter and chosing external devices is the way to go. I do notice, however, that songs are not as clear as when downloaded to the hard drive from a CD. That's the same with movies. For sound, you can't beat a CD.