BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 BMW X5 E53 4.4, looking for new/remanufactured motor

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  twmcm 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 BMW X5 with the 4.4 liter motor. The number five cylinder is blown, leaking oil around the piston thanks to apparent damage to the cylinder. No idea how the cylinder sustained this damage.

Thus, I am looking for a new motor. Preferably a remanufactured motor . . .

As an aside, I am wondering if I could go with the 4.8 liter motor given the same N62 block is used. The cost is probably very similar and I presume the 4.8's mounting points are the same as the 4.4. Maybe I would need to change only the ECU (and possibly transmission electronics) to match the new motor. That is unless BMW intentionally built the 4.8 with a different wiring harness and such other things so as to discourage this sort of substitution.

For logistical reasons, a used motor is not an option. Must be new or remanufactured.

Option two is that I have my existing motor rebuilt. I hear this is not a very feasible option given the all Aluminum construction of the N62 motor. Has anyone done this . . . with the new steel cylinder sleeves?

1. Do you know where I can find a new or remanufactured motor?

2. Any knowledge about putting the 4.8 liter N62 in a 4.4?

3. Any experience rebuilding any N62 motor?

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.