PDA

View Full Version : refueling issue

dkreidel
12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Is anyone else having difficulty with the auto shut-off when refueling their 650? Mine has been troublesome since I picked it up in Munich and have used many different stations and pumps with the same poor result - even at the slowest rate the pump kicks off 15+ times while fueling.

I guess it needs to go the dealer :(

anythingbuttime
12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I haven't noticed a problem, but if there is, it is a design issue. What would you want the dealer to do?

dkreidel
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I haven't noticed a problem, but if there is, it is a design issue. What would you want the dealer to do?

I've owned 13 or 14 BMWs and never had a problem like this. If other F12/13 owners have a similar issue it might be a design problem, but if mine is the only one with this problem then there's something amiss with the fuel filling hardware ...and I expect the dealer to find the issue and correct the problem.

dk

TopDownInFL
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Is anyone else having difficulty with the auto shut-off when refueling their 650? Mine has been troublesome since I picked it up in Munich and have used many different stations and pumps with the same poor result - even at the slowest rate the pump kicks off 15+ times while fueling.

I guess it needs to go the dealer :(

Had that issue last week. This week it's fine. I think it's a combination of the car design and the specific nozzle.

Superschnell
12-08-2011, 05:02 AM
No problem here.

I wonder if it can be a problem with not letting enough air out of the tube (from the tank) when filling. It could be a ventilation hole missing or not functioning.

GreyCoupe
12-08-2011, 05:20 AM
No problem with mine--in fact, I've never had it cut off early.

dkreidel
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Okay, thanks guys. I don't think it's related to the crazy California evaporative boots on the gas nozzle as I had the same problem in Germany. It may very well be a vent tube or restricted/kinked filler pipe. I'll let the board know what the results are, but I'm expecting "unable to duplicate the customer's concern" :rofl:

Superschnell
12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry this is out of topic, but very brief: How was the Munich delivery?
I am considering it if buying a 1-series early 2012.

Elias
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Ive only filled my tank twice so far but I haven't had any issues but will be checking it in the future.

dkreidel
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry this is out of topic, but very brief: How was the Munich delivery?
I am considering it if buying a 1-series early 2012.

The 650 was the 9th BMW I've picked up in Munich, and returned only yesterday from Munich after taking delivery of the 10th, a 750i. There is a European Delivery sub-forum that has a huge amount of detailed information, but most of it applies to Americans picking up their new car via the BMW NA European Delivery plan. In short, it is a great experience that can include a factory tour, museum visit and an enjoyable day at the Welt. Americans save a lot of $$$ by picking up the car in Munich and is a primary motivation for Munich delivery; I'm uncertain if you would enjoy the same financial benefits as we do.

Dick

petriej
12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
The 650 was the 9th BMW I've picked up in Munich, and returned only yesterday from Munich after taking delivery of the 10th, a 750i. There is a European Delivery sub-forum that has a huge amount of detailed information, but most of it applies to Americans picking up their new car via the BMW NA European Delivery plan. In short, it is a great experience that can include a factory tour, museum visit and an enjoyable day at the Welt. Americans save a lot of $$$ by picking up the car in Munich and is a primary motivation for Munich delivery; I'm uncertain if you would enjoy the same financial benefits as we do.

Dick

And if home is Norway, you may be able to just drive it back! :rofl:

svp66
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
No problem for me either. Refueled several times, getting close to 1000 mi on the odometer.

PS. If you drive in town winter time, do yourself a favor and do not display the average mpg... It spoils the pleasure of the ride (not that I did not know it would use a lot of fuel):p

long time
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I just completed 3,000 miles in 6 weeks and no refueling problems here. MPG average is 17.8 - After break in I took it up for a top speed test and did a few 0 - 60's - Great way to burn fuel...

Elias
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I just completed 3,000 miles in 6 weeks and no refueling problems here. MPG average is 17.8 - After break in I took it up for a top speed test and did a few 0 - 60's - Great way to burn fuel...

Man if lived in South Florida I'd have 3K miles as well, here in Va the weather hasn't been that great I only have 600 miles since I got my car a month ago.:cry:

TopDownInFL
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm expecting "unable to duplicate the customer's concern" :rofl:

Take a video of it. That usually helps me out.

Itinj6
12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
No issues with mine from what I can tell. Here in NJ, by law, the gas attendants have to refuel your car. When they do, I notice them notch the gas trigger and walk away. It doesnt auto shut-off until it's full.

dkreidel
12-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Mine goes into the dealer tomorrow; they seem to know what the problem is as I'm the second person with a new 6 to complain about fueling. I'm told they need the car for 2 days as it requires disassembling a fair amount to gain access to the culprit.

dk

TopDownInFL
12-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Mine goes into the dealer tomorrow; they seem to know what the problem is as I'm the second person with a new 6 to complain about fueling. I'm told they need the car for 2 days as it requires disassembling a fair amount to gain access to the culprit.

dk

Please be sure to provide details when you get her back.

Elias
12-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Curious as to what the problem may be.

XZLR8
12-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Refueled without issue.

dkreidel
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Problem solved; the dealer replaced the charcoal canister which has an integral valve that wasn't working.

I've had the 6 since early September and this was the only glitch - otherwise it has been perfect :thumbup:

dk

thom.one.two
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Glad to hear that. I was a little worried. My last one was perfect and I hope this one is as good as the last one.