PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Contrast Stitching

southern6er22
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and new to BMW. I just ordered my first BMW, a 650xi coupe, that is due for delivery by the end of the year. This community was extremely helpful throughout the research and ordering process, so thank you all for your assistance.

My car:
650i xDrive Coupe
Black Nappa with Gray Poplar
Carbon Black Metallic
M-Sport Package
Cold Weather
LED Lights with 20" wheels
Premium Sound
Active Roll Stabilization
Head-up Display
Leather Dash with Contrast Stitching
Black Ceramic Controls
BMW Apps

I am wondering what everyone is using to clean the contrast stiching. I thought about just keeping it clean with a damp microfiber cloth, but I'm sure the nappa is going to need regular conditioning being in direct sunlight, a big problem here in the south. I ordered the windshield sun screen for another level of protection. I just want to make sure that the gray stitching doesn't get smudged and dirty. I've read that Porsche uses nylon stitching and it's not a problem, but I have no idea what BMW uses.

Any recommendations for maintenance and brands for cleaning/conditioning?

TopDownInFL
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I would use Leatherique's Prestine Clean.

And welcome to the 'fest!

TJPark01
12-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I second Leatherique Pristine Clean. It's really all you need to keep new leather that way. You can do the 2 step version and I know the author of this article does this even on new cars, but I really don't see the need for it. But if you are a detailing fanatic, go for it...
Leatherique Leather Care How-To (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/leatherique-leather-care-how-to/)

southern6er22
12-11-2011, 12:01 AM
I guess I'll try a discrete location in the back seat to make sure the stitching tolerates it. Thanks for the recommendation!

TopDownInFL
12-11-2011, 07:44 AM
I guess I'll try a discrete location in the back seat to make sure the stitching tolerates it. Thanks for the recommendation!

It will. I've kept 3 different cars looking perfect with PC. The Rejuvinating Oil is fantastic every 6 months or so. It's a much longer process, but gets really deep cleaning results.

TJPark01
12-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Leatherique PC will not discolor stitching for sure. Neither will Lexol which is more readily available, OTC. Leather will last an eternity as long as you clean and condition it regularly. I also live in a hot climate so I got some quality tint as additional protection from the sun. The only other suggestion I have is to place your left hand against your body and the left side bolster when exiting the car. This spot is notorious for abrasion in cars that have aggressive side bolsters.

E90 M3:

TopDownInFL
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
The only other suggestion I have is to place your left hand against your body and the left side bolster when exiting the car. This spot is notorious for abrasion in cars that have aggressive side bolsters.

E90 M3:

+1 - I do this every time I enter the car. No amount of conditioning will preserve a spot that you constantly rub daily.

thom.one.two
12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
My dealer charges $995.00 to coat the interior and exterior with something. After they spray it on, they guarantee that for 7 years, if anything shows a stain or wear, they will replace it if they can't get it off. They also supply me with cleaner for the interior and exterior of the car, as much as I need, for 7 years. The paint is absolutely gorgeous after they apply the chemical.

Two BMWs ago, I had beige interior, and the only place that I saw a stain was on the driver's seat bolster from blue jeans rubbing against it. Because I have beige interior again, I wanted to make sure that if that happens on this car, they will take care of it.

My '09 650 had black interior, and that same spot showed a fair amount of wear when I traded the car in. It had black interior, and it had only 21,000 miles on it, but the side of the driver's seat showed age way beyond 3 years in my opinion. My F12 doesn't have those huge bolsters as the others did, so I'm hoping that will help with this problem.

It sounds like we are both OCD with clean. LOL

thom.one.two
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
HAHA. Just read the thread above. Yep. That was what I was talking about. LOL

TJPark01
12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
My dealer charges $995.00 to coat the interior and exterior with something.

The coating is made of the tears of the people who got suckered into buying it.

thom.one.two
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
LOL. Maybe so. With white interior, it's insurance for me.

TopDownInFL
12-12-2011, 05:56 AM
The coating is made of the tears of the people who got suckered into buying it.

:rofl:

M5canes
12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
http://hurricanemutiny.com/rctforum/Smileys/default/golfclap.gif on the new car. Just got the Emola Red with the same options.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll469/M5canes/ef5db666.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll469/M5canes/fbe3e15e.jpg

southern6er22
12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't wait for it to come in. It was scheduled for week 49 production, but My BMW shows it still as processing... Anyone know how long it takes once they start production?

thom.one.two
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Once you have a production number the dealer can tell you the day that it goes into production. Then:

Production takes 14 days
Shipping to South Carolina takes 10-14 days
Shipping from South Carolina to Mobile takes 5-7 days

My car started production on October 24th. It arrived in South Carolina on November 16th. It arrived in Houston at the dealer on November 26th.

That MyBMW tracking thing is not accurate at all. It is usually at least one week behind. My car was at the dealer when it still showed at the dock.

Congr

thom.one.two
12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
The MyBMW tracker is not accurate. It usually takes 14 days in production, 14 days to ship to South Carolina, and 7-10 days to get to your dealer.

Your dealer should be able to give you a production start date. Once you have that, you can estimate.

My car went into production on October 24, 2012. It arrived in South Carolina on November 16, 2012. It was delivered to Houston/to me on November 26, 2012.

Congratulations!

southern6er22
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info and timeline. It's good to hear it's inaccurate (although I probably should not hope for too much inaccuracy by the people building my $100,000 car lol). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

southern6er22
02-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm planning on doing some detailing this weekend, and I just wanhted to reopen this thread and ask a few questions:

As above, there have been several recommendations for Leatherique's Pristine Clean. Has anyone used this with the nappa dash with contrast stitching? I saw a car at the dealer that had something on the leather that made it shiny (see pictures below). I'd like to preserve the original matte finish and look of the contrast stitching if at all possible. Any feedback to keep the matte look would be appreciated.

Also, what are y'all using for cleaning, waxing, etc.?

Thanks!

TopDownInFL
02-04-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm planning on doing some detailing this weekend, and I just wanhted to reopen this thread and ask a few questions:

As above, there have been several recommendations for Leatherique's Pristine Clean. Has anyone used this with the nappa dash with contrast stitching? I saw a car at the dealer that had something on the leather that made it shiny (see pictures below). I'd like to preserve the original matte finish and look of the contrast stitching if at all possible. Any feedback to keep the matte look would be appreciated.

Also, what are y'all using for cleaning, waxing, etc.?

Thanks!

I had leather dash in my last car. Prestine Clean is a fantastic product - been using it on the last 3 Bimmers and will be on this one soon. 303 Aerospace protectant (get it at a local boating place if you have one or online) will do the day-to-day protection from UV the dash needs AND it will retain the original finish of the dash.

southern6er22
02-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks!

These are the pics I meant to post above. Not a huge difference, but still noticeable:

JONNYCHIRO
02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I've taken to wearing a HazMat suit while inside the vehicle.

I'm loving the back seats which are utterly useless unless I decide to take a Nabisco Elf to work in a tree. So, looks like they'll be staying clean and free from wear.

As for the passenger seat. Since my girl won't wear her HazMat suit she's walking. No. I kid. Of course she can ride. I donned one of those seat condoms you get when the car is serviced...

It's a wonder I'm still single huh? ;););)

No seriously. The white contrast is gonna be a bitch.

Edit. Ha ha it let me say the B word.

Sorry. Still giddy about Giants win.

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Haha. I haven't gone as far as the seat condoms, but I do tell passengers that if they swivel or rub my leather, then they'll be walking the rest of the way.

Totally agree on the backseat. I was informed while showing off the car to a friend that I bought the wrong car because there is no way to have sex in the backseat... So I showed him the size of the trunk... Nevertheless, I'd rather more front legroom and trunk space.

Have you used anything on the leather yet? I'm going to talk to the people at the Performance Center this weekend and see what they say.

Itinj6
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks!

These are the pics I meant to post above. Not a huge difference, but still noticeable:

Southern, you got a Coupe, right? Is that the interior of your car? If so, I'm wondering that that switch is for, the one in the center console closest to the center compartment. That is the switch for the top on a convertible. Is that for the power shade for the sunroof on a Coupe?

Edit- just to clarify, it is the big lone switch that sits just aft of the shifter stack on the trim part, between the shifter and center console compartment

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I do have a coupe. The second pic (shiny one) is a pic from a convertible I snapped at the dealer. The first (matte) is my coupe. You're correct, that switch is the vert's top button, and there is nothing there on the coupe (power sun shade is located in the door under the window controls - pic below - note: not my car but is a coupe bit with fine line oak. Don't want to make this more confusing lol).

Itinj6
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
My fiancée wears high boots and she would lean her leg against the center console and contrast stitching, which might cause it to fray over time. She got dirty looks from me everytime lol.

I tell my passengers in my car the same thing I tell them when I take them for a flight. Keep your feet on the floor and your hands on your lap. Just like I don't need them touching the yoke and rudder pedals, they don't need to be touching my dash and anything else lol.

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Clarification: just reread your post - all of the sunroof controls are up by the BMW Assist button. The pic I just posted is the REAR sunshade that comes with the luxury seating package.

Itinj6
02-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I do have a coupe. The second pic (shiny one) is a pic from a convertible I snapped at the dealer. The first (matte) is my coupe. You're correct, that switch is the vert's top button, and there is nothing there on the coupe (power sun shade is located in the door under the window controls - pic below - note: not my car but is a coupe bit with fine line oak. Don't want to make this more confusing lol).

Lol got ya, thanks! I didn't want to say anything, but the leather in the convertible that's at the dealer is all wrinkly especially in the arm rest area. Thats another thing I had to tell the misses. No elbows on the center console. Only forearms or that wrinkling/looseness may occur.

One more thing... That switch you posted under the window switches, is that for the rear window sunshade or sunroof sunshade?

Itinj6
02-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Clarification: just reread your post - all of the sunroof controls are up by the BMW Assist button. The pic I just posted is the REAR sunshade that comes with the luxury seating package.

Lol you beat me to it. Thanks again!

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
No problem.

Seeing that convertible scared me a little. I know I need to do something to keep the leather conditioned, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

Thebreadman
02-05-2012, 10:33 PM
You guys are cracking me up. My girl is very respectful and doesn't cause any issue with getting my car dirty. Where I run into a problem is with one of my oversized buddies who always seems to get shi*t all over my car...

The first thing he did when he got into my car for the first time was put his grubby mitts all over the iDrive screen and ask if it was touchscreen! That got a shriek. Ugh!

southern6er22
02-05-2012, 10:42 PM
That would definitely result in my friends standing on the side of the road in a cloud of smoke if they tried to touch my screen! The other thing is they have to put the seat all the way down and then raise it up so they don't get their hair on my alcantara headliner. Oh! And touching my dash! You're sitting on the same bloody leather, and it covers the arm rests. You have sensory nerves in your forearms, and every freakin' surface of the car is covered in Nappa... You don't have to put your fingers all over it!

Rant over. Sorry.

Thebreadman
02-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Haha. Nice!

I wish I could be like that. The only answer for me is to have someone else drive, but I love driving this beauty of a perfect car too much and want to drive it every second I can so I have to put up with it. But I hear you, oh do I hear you. Sigh.

JONNYCHIRO
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
You guys are a bunch a softies.

I cut the hands off of any passenger, cauterize the stumps w a hot iron and then put kitchen mitts on the charred ends.

There will be no touching.

Have you seen the finger bang orgy of smudges on the passenger door around the handle? WTF!!!! ??? ;)

JONNYCHIRO
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Haha.

Have you used anything on the leather yet? I'm going to talk to the people at the Performance Center this weekend and see what they say.

I've used Meguire's Gold Class Wipes. The seats have remained very clean so far. Not a concern at all.

I'm not complaining bout the tiny back seat space. LOFL there is literally almost no leg room. I could care less.

Everyone in the car, thus far, has been astonished at all the room up front.

It's a little crazy, tho, I mean the back seats in the 3 coupe have more room.
Again who cares... It's not a taxi.

southern6er22
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I've used Meguire's in the past. I may try it on a discrete spot in the back and see how it looks. I may try the Leatherique if the Meguire's makes my black too shiny and, I'll see which is best at keeping that matte finish.

Practical uses for the back seat of a 2012 6er:
1) Leather conditioner spot testing.
2) I'm out of ideas...

JONNYCHIRO
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
On White it's Kool & the Gang.

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
you guys are a bunch a softies.

I cut the hands off of any passenger, cauterize the stumps w a hot iron and then put kitchen mitts on the charred ends.

There will be no touching.

Have you seen the finger bang orgy of smudges on the passenger door around the handle? Wtf!!!! ??? ;)

lmao...

Itinj6
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
1) Leather conditioner spot testing.
2) I'm out of ideas...

HAHA.

I found another good use for it...

SIKE!!!

southern6er22
04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, the big day is finally here. This was my first post/introductory thread back on 12/08/2011, and I return to say that after much research I've decided on a leather care regimen:

1. Damp microfiber to remove surface dust and dirt.
2. Gliptone Liquid Leather Gentle Cleaner (GT12).
3. Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner (GT11).

I'm headed outside to do a test on a discrete area in the backseat right now. I'll report back with some thoughts and pics after I finish. If anyone can come up with a way for me to post the smell, let me know and I'll try to work that out :)

Itinj6
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I just hope you guys wash your @sses the way you wash you cars lol

southern6er22
04-05-2012, 09:02 PM
My car and body are much cleaner than my mind :)

Itinj6
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
My car and body are much cleaner than my mind :)

Fair enough lol

southern6er22
04-06-2012, 12:10 AM
The conclusion to my initial question... See below:

http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/2012/04/caring-for-cattle.html

Ace535i
04-27-2012, 08:23 PM
How does one care for the Nappa leather with all those pores for the active ventilated seats without clogging the pores? The salespeople don't know.

Thanks!

southern6er22
04-27-2012, 08:31 PM
How does one care for the Nappa leather with all those pores for the active ventilated seats without clogging the pores? The salespeople don't know.

Thanks!

I don't have the perforated leather on mine, but you should be able to treat it the same way. I worked the cleaner and conditioner into the leather using a small amount on my hand working in small sections. It was a long and boring process, but it worked perfectly. I just put a light coating on my second and third fingers and then worked that in. If you go too heavy you'll probably start getting too much in the pores. Even if you do, most of it should come out of the pores when you buff the products off with a microfiber cloth after letting it sit. I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

JONNYCHIRO
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Get yerself these:

Itinj6
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Thanks!

Maybe a spray type cleaner?

Itinj6
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Get yerself these:

Got those already... In vermillion red

southern6er22
04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I can only imagine where y'all find this stuff. lol

Ace535i
04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input, butt I need someone with expertise....

Itinj6
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the input, butt I need someone with expertise....

Maybe you should ass someone else then

:D ;)

southern6er22
05-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Today I used the Gliptone maintenance leather cleaner, and it worked perfectly. I only used it on the driver's seat, steering wheel, and door arm rest. It was really quick and easy - sprayed some on a microfiber cloth and wiped everything down with very little pressure. My seats, etc. were all clean, and I didn't notice much of any dirt on the cloth when I finished. I just felt like I should do something to the leather in those areas that get the most use/abuse. I mainly focused on the seat base, bolsters, and steering wheel. I'm very pleased with using this product in between cleaning/conditioning with the other products that require more time and effort.

*for additional info on the more thorough cleaning and conditioning products and process, check out my blog (link in my signature), specifically "Caring for the Cattle."

Ace535i
05-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Try it on your back-seats in order to detect for grime.

southern6er22
05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I just wipe down the dash, backseat, door panels, etc. with a microfiber to get rid of the dust. I'd make the effort to clean everything thoroughly if I had a convertible, but the most I get on those areas is a bit of dust. I rarely have a passenger in the front, and I never have anyone in the backseat. I did every square millimeter of leather with the conditioner about a month ago for protection (rehydrating the skin). I'll probably re-condition in the next month or two since the weather is so hot here right now.

Ace535i
05-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Must be the charcoal filtre in the ambient system keeping the cabin air clean. :thumbup:

JONNYCHIRO
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Busted out the chaps again did ya?!

southern6er22
05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
lol. Nope. Those have been reserved for yours and Itinj's bromance. This was a quickie, solo job today :rofl: