BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transfer Case warning light

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  OzzyX5 
#1 ·
Hi all
I have a 2005 x5 with the DSC light on on the dash, I have had it diagnosed to be the servo motor on the transfer case, the BMW dealer here recomend the changing of the complete transfer case(exchange) with a new servo motor on it, does this sound like a money making exercise for BMW
How much does your local BMW dealer charge per hour?
AUSTRALIA, Townsville $132 Per Hour, min charge 2hours:yikes:

#2 ·
who knows, there has been discussions of the servo motor drive gear failing, and you could check that by pulling it out and having a look.

however depending on the k,s you car has done, maybe the dealer is concerned that the internal clutches are worn as well.

other than the DSC light coming on what other symptoms do you have? i.e driving it do you notice anything,

#5 ·
I didn't have to replace the transfer case, I changed out the servo motor with a borrowed unit and found the controller unit (computer) to be faulty, purchased a second hand unit from a BMW wrecker.
after fitting the replacement controller I found the servo motor to be faulty, replaced the servo motor also from theBMW wrecker also.
I changed the oil in the case and reset the paremiters in the controller(BMW gt1 programer or similar required) and matched the servo to the controller.
havn't had any trouble since.
I suspect the servo motor failed and burnt out the controller.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.