PDA

View Full Version : Battery change...

venflu
12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Quick question...
Yesterday I had to replace the battery in my 2005 X3 3.0i. Went to AutoZone and they sold me an H6-DLG Duralast Gold Battery. Is this a compatible replacement? The new one is way smaller that the one that was inside so I am getting a little worried now.
Please advise.
Thanks!

alpinweiss
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I am always a bit nervous about after-market batteries in a BMW.

Make sure it has a vent tube from the battery through the floor of your X3.

Make sure the new battery is properly secured by the battery hold-down.

Finally, be sure the battery capacity is at least as great as your OEM battery.

Your battery does not need to be registered to the car computer; some newer models require this.

:drive:

venflu
12-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you so much for your prompt reply, alpinweiss!
The venting is good and I think it was properly secured but I will check again. The CCA rating for the H6-DLG Duralast Gold battery is 600 Amps. Would you know how to find the capacity of my old one? I did not keep the old battery...

Supercourse
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
... Went to AutoZone and they sold me an H6-DLG Duralast Gold Battery. Is this a compatible replacement? The new one is way smaller ...

Yes, it is compatible.

My 2.5i came with an H6 O.E. and it has 570 CCA written on it, and is 11.5" L

Not sure if different X3 batteries were installed for different years, model trims or markets.

But a few others have indicated they had what sounds like an H8 originally.

The H8 is 14"L and fills the battery space better, and may be as high as 900 CCA.

All those Johnson Controls batteries in the European H sizing (H6, H7, H8) have vent tube connections.

Dominic49
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
here you go:

ducx3
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM
There are a ton of threads on this subject. A quick search would do you wonders. As it were, any battery will work more or less. Your H6 is smaller and has lower CCAs than the original. Maybe you're in a temperate climate and don't need those extra CCAs. My replacement was an H8 and it was almost exactly the same size as the OEM, plus more CCAs than the original.

venflu
12-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks to all for your prompt responses!

I have learned a lot regarding batteries... Read some of the old threads but my eyes started to glaze over... LOL The battery is still under warranty so I would not mind exchanging it for one with a higher CCs. I will read more about that. Also, I came across repair centers that claim not to be as expensive as dealers. I will check some of those because sometime along the way, I am going to need repairs (hopefully not too soon) and I should be prepared.

Again, thanks to all of you for the prompt and extremely helpful replies and attachments. I will keep on reading old threads to familiarize myself more with the inner workings of Wolfgang (well, he is a German guy, isn't him? I am not going to call him “Betsy” LOL).

Best regards to all of you,
A

Jedi54
01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
My 2.5i came with an H6 O.E. and it has 570 CCA written on it, and is 11.5" L

Not sure if different X3 batteries were installed for different years, model trims or markets.

But a few others have indicated they had what sounds like an H8 originally.

The H8 is 14"L and fills the battery space better, and may be as high as 900 CCA.

All those Johnson Controls batteries in the European H sizing (H6, H7, H8) have vent tube connections.

My '05 3.0 is having battery issues, the car left me stranded recently. AAA tested the battery for me and it rated quite low so I'm looking for a replacement. After doing some research it looks like I might go for the H8 instead of the H6 which is what comes up on auto zone's website.

My car came equipped with an H6 OE, also at 570 CCA and it looks like the 14" H8 should fit nicely.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.

can0n4
01-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Replaced the batter in my 04 a few months back with an Optima Red Top. No venting and powerful enough for anything i'll need. A bit price around 150 bucks, but I've always loved these batteries.

fhopper
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I installed the AUX input the other day. I spent the day playing around with possible placements with my ignition on. I was very surprised when I buttoned everything up that evening, (put it in the glove box) and the battery was dead, I really expected it to handle the little drain that had been on it. I think I will get an Optima as well... hmmm, just left the Optima web site and they do not list BMW as supported cars! 'sup wit dat?

can0n4
01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
hmmm, just left the Optima web site and they do not list BMW as supported cars! 'sup wit dat?

Don't mind that. Its probably because of the size differences. I had to use a foam under the battery tie-down to snug things up a bit. Nothing a six year old couldn't figure out.

Last year the alternator in my Silverado went bad. I drove the truck for an hour and a half on just the Optima Red. Since then I'll never go back.

Jedi54
01-18-2012, 09:45 PM
thanks to some of you guys here, I went out and purchased an H8 battery (3 Autozone's later but that's a different story...)
The only 'issue' I ran into is when calling and asking about the vent tube, youd' swear I was speaking Martian to these people but eventually I found a store that said they had it in stock so off I went. When I arrived, they had the battery but the vent tube wasn't attached to the battery (they're typically taped in a sealed bag to the back of the battery) The rep tore it off another duralast battery and I was on my way home.

Fitment: like a glove!
The H8 really is a better fit then the OE H6 batter as you can see below

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/Jedi54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120118_202719.jpg

Here is where I had a bit of confusion...
the Vent tube that came with that was given to me seems to simply have an adapter (since the vent tube in our car is a smaller diameter then the hose they give you)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/Jedi54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120118_203149.jpg

Instructions:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/Jedi54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120118_203202.jpg

None of that seemed necessary to me as that would only be used to lengthen our vent tube with an adapter but as you can see, I was able to route the OE vent tube and it connected perfectly to the new battery. go figure...
am I missing something here???

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/Jedi54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120118_202709.jpg

Supercourse
01-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Just guessing ....

as you found, if the vent hole is in the same place as the O.E. battery, and the O.E. tube is in good shape, you don't need the vent kit.

I can see you would need it if the new vent hole was on the long edge of the battery.
Because you would have to cut and extend the X3's original tube.

Maybe that is what they mean by 'remote vent hose' - it's too far away?

Not sure about the need for cutting precisely 3/8" off their vent kit at the battery connector, on certain BMW models.
The X3 uses a base hold-down that works with battery cases having the right sort of base.
The top part is just a secondary retainer - not the main part of the hold-down.
Vehicles that use a top clamp (that can work with smooth or plain battery bases) typically have tightening hardware on the short edge that could impede the operation of the vent tube.
Possibly they are saying that you can trim at most 3/8" off their vent tube to keep it close to the battery and away from clamps, etc. if necessary.

BTW, one benefit of going with the much heavier H8 is that you will now be even closer to the desired 50/50 weight distribution.

You should be able to transfer the red plastic +ve. post protector from your old battery if you kept it.
The new battery has two small holes in the right place for snapping it into.

ducx3
01-19-2012, 12:18 AM
I also reused my old vent tube. The whole experience was essentially plug and play.

codog2
01-19-2012, 10:25 AM
thanks for the post.

My 05 is way over do for a replacement (OE battery). I was at Walmart and could not figure if it needed the smaller group 48 (per thier display - less CCA), or group 49 (some people have posted w/ success - more like oe in size) - both where less than $100

So the H8 fits? Is Autozone asking $150 for it? Seems a little high, although much cheaper than BMW. There are so many conflicting posts on the correct size

ducx3
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I replaced mine with an H8 at wally world. Only thing was it was a bit older build date, but I put it on a charger before putting it into the car.

Jedi54
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
thanks for the post.

My 05 is way over do for a replacement (OE battery). I was at Walmart and could not figure if it needed the smaller group 48 (per thier display - less CCA), or group 49 (some people have posted w/ success - more like oe in size) - both where less than $100

So the H8 fits? Is Autozone asking $150 for it? Seems a little high, although much cheaper than BMW. There are so many conflicting posts on the correct size

H8 fits perfectly.
They are probably trying to up-sell you the Platinum series, just go with the Duralast Gold, as far as I could tell the CCA were the same and they both had a 3 year warranty.

I picked mine up for $119. (+$12 for the core)

Supercourse
01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
There are so many conflicting posts on the correct size

Yes, that is true, but .....

AFAIK, the only batteries that came as O.E. were the (European) H6 and H8.

Which one you got might have depended on whether you had power-hungry options like heated seats, or maybe climatic region comes into it. Not sure.

At replacement time, a lot of people found that a commonly available inexpensive North American Group 48 or Group 49 fitted well enough.
I think on the Group 49, the vent hole is on the long edge of the case and so requires an extension, and both may require some minor adjustments to make the height right and the base modified to fit the BMW clamp.

The H6, H7 and H8 used to be harder to find at places like Autozone and Walmart, or were very expensive.
That's because most premium European marques use them.
Easier to find now, and even in Canada the H8 is less than $120 at Walmart.
They are made in Johnson Control plants in countries like Bulgaria, so may not be as good quality as the H8s the dealer sells (with a white case).
But you are assured of a quick and easy fitment.

On E46 forums many people think that putting a plywood scrap under your $70 Autozone Group 48 is the way to go.
I'd rather pay a bit more for an H6 or H8 and have it fit perfectly.

fhopper
01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
thanks to some of you guys here, I went out and purchased an H8 battery (3 Autozone's later but that's a different story...)
The only 'issue' I ran into is when calling and asking about the vent tube, youd' swear I was speaking Martian to these people but eventually I found a store that said they had it in stock so off I went. When I arrived, they had the battery but the vent tube wasn't attached to the battery (they're typically taped in a sealed bag to the back of the battery) The rep tore it off another duralast battery and I was on my way home.

Fitment: like a glove!
The H8 really is a better fit then the OE H6 batter as you can see below

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/Jedi54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20120118_202719.jpg

My H8 from Advanced Auto today.

http://gallery.mac.com/fhopper/100136/IMG_1443/web.jpg?ver=13270217730001

X3emist
01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
My experience with Auto Zone batteries (and a lot fo other stuff) is that they sux. I think they are built to fail within warranty since it is prorated and they will still bilk dollars out of you when you have to replace it.

Go get a good Interstate next time.

Jedi54
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
way to piss in my Cheerios X3emist :p

Batteries seem to be really hit or miss these days, with so few manufacturers out there now , it's almost like the quality has gone to hell.
I remember when Optimas used to be awesome. These days, not so much...

I still run one in my RX8 due to the sound system I have installed but my last yellow top only lasted a few years before it was shot.

oh well, I'm hoping to get 4-5 years out of this Duralast so wish me luck. (fortunately SoCal weather is in my favor)

bluskye
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Duralast, Interstate Megatron Plus, crazy expensive Optimas.... they all work fine.

I used Duralast in my last E46 as well as the X3. If I can get 75% of the life for 50% of the price (which I do), I win.
I use a Interstate Megatron Plus in my E90 and it works fine well.

dpavank143
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Hello guys I am new customer for BMW x3.

I am trying to replace my battery in BMW x3 2006 ,I picked up H8 dura last gold ( lead acid battery) which fits perfectly in my car .surprisingly I heard that i need to use AGM battery for my car ,now i am worried weather I picked up right battery or not ???????

Please advice me weather I picked a right one or not .does any body have any issues with DLG-H8 battery in 06 x3 ?????:dunno:

Supercourse
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Newer BMW models (maybe 2009 +) come with AGM batteries as O.E. and recommended replacement is probably the same type.

Slightly different charging characteristics, and may not need a vent, but otherwise look and work the same, at a higher price.

Like the spiral wound type (Optima's etc.) it takes a bit of time to know if they are consistently better in all applications.

Dominic49's earlier chart shows that you can certainly use an AGM battery in your 2006,
but it is not required.

dpavank143
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Thank you super course ,

By any chance any body know the CCA's for OEM battery for X3 2006 and voltages that should output from battery while car is running and not running

Thanks
dpavank

BigShark
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Today I went to autozone and they tested the battery. The battery tested well but there was some indication that the starter was a draw on the system. After telling them it was 5 year old battery we decided to change it. I got a Duralast Platimum h8 battery with the AGL or gel acid. They put on the code saver to hold all the previous settings. There was a note on the installation instructions about that it would have to be reset at the dealer. I called two dealerships and my independent mechanic which all mentioned I have to "program the battery in". After start up the car now displays the ABS light just before starting but goes away. The car will now not save the time settings nor the trip mileage with both working, but resetting themselves at start up

My mechanic will program the car to the new battery for $45 and I am going to do this ASAP.

Has anyone heard of this issue? Is programming the car to the new battery something that is required. Do you think the reprogramming will fix the trip metter and clock resetting themselves issue????? I am worried something got fried

bluskye
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
The 2007-2011 X3 does not need the dealer to tell the car it has a new battery. The BMWs with the newer electronics system recommend this, e90/e60 etc.

As far why the trip meter/clock not holding their values is odd.

Supercourse
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, save that $45.

And make sure that a standard battery charger is never used on your gel battery.

See:

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/gel-car-battery-pros-and-cons-faq

bluskye
07-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Today I went to autozone and they tested the battery. The battery tested well but there was some indication that the starter was a draw on the system. After telling them it was 5 year old battery we decided to change it. I got a Duralast Platimum h8 battery with the AGL or gel acid. They put on the code saver to hold all the previous settings. There was a note on the installation instructions about that it would have to be reset at the dealer. I called two dealerships and my independent mechanic which all mentioned I have to "program the battery in". After start up the car now displays the ABS light just before starting but goes away. The car will now not save the time settings nor the trip mileage with both working, but resetting themselves at start up

My mechanic will program the car to the new battery for $45 and I am going to do this ASAP.

Has anyone heard of this issue? Is programming the car to the new battery something that is required. Do you think the reprogramming will fix the trip metter and clock resetting themselves issue????? I am worried something got fried

Hmm, they used that battery operated code saver? pffft, unhook car battery and connect again to see if that resolves it.