PDA

View Full Version : BMW Apps Compatible Devices

southern6er22
12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm thoroughly confused by all of the contradictory information I've found regarding BMW Apps.

The iPod controls and cover art are really the only things I care about as I won't use web radio regularly, and I for sure will not use Facebook/Twitter (for more than one or two obnoxious posts... just because I can).

I really don't want to dock my iPhone 4S and plan on using it just for calls via bluetooth. I want to use another device (my deactivated iPhone 4 I am using as an iPod, old nano or classic - or I can buy the newest generation Nano if need be).

Here is my main question:

Is a deactivated (i.e. no data/network connection) iPhone 4 and/or iPod Nano or Classic compatible with the iPod Plugin (iPod controls with cover art display - I don't care about video) feature that comes with BMW Apps? Does this require a dock or will the white Apple USB cable allow the Plugin features to work?

Thank you in advance for your assistance as I impatiently wait for the arrival of my 6.

thom.one.two
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
The cover art will not come up with just the white cord, if I am understanding your question. I used the white cord for a few days until I could get the cradle, and my music worked fine, but it only listed the name of the song and the artist. When I plugged my cradle in, the cover art came up and it gave me the option to watch music videos when the car is stopped.

Like you, I could care less about Twitter. However, Pandora is a great app to use.

Using the cradle enables your Iphone to use the car antenna, too.

XZLR8
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't have BMW Apps -- just the white Apple USB cord -- and I have cover art displayed.

southern6er22
12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the responses.

XZLR8, are you using an iPhone or an iPod with the Apple cord to see the cover art? I really don't want to spend $270 on a cradle (that will have to be replaced next time they change the iPhone styling) if I can avoid it.

I will have to check out Pandora. I've just gotten used to my forever expanding iTunes library.

I'm hoping that they really do some interesting stuff with BMW Apps. I am not sure what I am wanting or expecting, but something other than posting "I am dringing through [city] and it is [temperature] degrees outside." I can already imagine the posts in response to such a status update.

XZLR8
12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
XZLR8, are you using an iPhone or an iPod with the Apple cord to see the cover art?
I have an iPod Classic that I just leave in the car, but I have also tried out my (Verizon) iPhone 4 and it worked, as well. Again, no BMW Apps and no cradle... just the white Apple USB cable.

southern6er22
12-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Perfect. That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I can start hoping that they do something useful (at least for my personal use) with BMW Apps so it is more than just a $250 donation to BMW's bottom line. Although it's a small price when you consider that putting black ceramic on the controls is the price of an iPad. Haha.

XZLR8
12-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Perfect. That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I can start hoping that they do something useful (at least for my personal use) with BMW Apps so it is more than just a $250 donation to BMW's bottom line. Although it's a small price when you consider that putting black ceramic on the controls is the price of an iPad. Haha.
I've felt the same way about BMW Apps... it's just been nothing that interested me.

When I purchased my 5, I skipped it because without Apps (and the corresponding "Smartphone Integration" option), you didn't have all that space taken up in the center console by the cradle. On the 6, however, "Smartphone Integration" is standard, so I almost wish I would have ordered Apps just in case.

jrlhooked
01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I just purchased my new 2012 535 and have an iPod touch connected via the standard white USB cable to the center console USB port and album art is displayed on the screen. No cradle required.

southern6er22
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Great! All I need now is my car...