PDA

View Full Version : X5's getting down and dirty

rodster13
04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I just saw a post on pulling a trailer of dirt with a 3.0. Sounds good to me!

X5 owners, please post your story of the dirtiest/foulest/heaviest thing you've hauled in the back.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now. Alpine wh, black interior, light poplar trim, sport, premium, premium sound, rear climate.

I finally got rid of a pallet that's been in my backyard for over a year. Wasn't too dirty but did have it's own ecosystem. :thumbup:

Emission
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
I've got the cargo net and rubber mat. I put tons of messy stuff in mine including:

300+ Hardback books in boxes (last week).

4 racing wheels and tires (275's and 235's!)

Large dog kennel.

800 pounds of VCT tile for my garage floor.

10 bags of soil for my garden.

Flowers, plants, and a small bush.

LmtdSlip
04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
I've got the cargo net and rubber mat. I put tons of messy stuff in mine including:

and a small bush.

Which one.... :dunno:

http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/2001/0105/jenna0531.jpg

Emission
04-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Which one.... :dunno:

http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/2001/0105/jenna0531.jpg

Jenna, of course. :p

LVR
04-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Black with Black interior is a challenge to keep clean when out on a building site.

Tools timber and building materials have all made it into the back............

(Only off-road so far is a gravel driveway.... he he)

Cheers

suzer
04-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Bought the rubber mat at the dealer, so the cargo area has been safe for:

1. 10 bags of lava rocks (damp and moldy)
2. flats and flats of flowers
3. 3 cans of super old paint with flaky residue coming off that were taken to the paint store so they match them with new paint
4. Every month it gets filled with beer bottles to take to the glass recycling drop off.
5. The often damp and slightly stinky (plus he sheds) dog.

This weekend it's going to be a grass encrusted lawn mower on it's way to the shop for a tuneup and blade sharpening.

Last year I still had my 4Runner when we did that, and in lifting it into the back it got turned somehow, and spilled gasoline everywhere. Boy did that smell great for weeks!

This year it'll be empty and we'll be much more careful.

Emission
04-23-2004, 04:27 PM
5. The often damp and slightly stinky (plus he sheds) dog.

Dog hair sucks in the X5.

I have a Yellow Lab. It must take 30 minutes to use a wet vac to clean the carpet of the hair. It sticks, and stick.... awrg....

suzer
04-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Dog hair sucks in the X5.....

Agreed.

Don't spend any money on any "miracle" dog hair cleaning products, either. I've bought them all, and they don't make it better, just make you angrier when you pull out the one thing that does work - the vacuum.

It is better to pick up dog hair off of the leather than cloth, though, and the rubber mat has helped a lot.

Emission
04-23-2004, 07:54 PM
"It is better to pick up dog hair off of the leather than cloth, though, and the rubber mat has helped a lot."

Yes, leather is easy to clean dog hair off of. The rubber mat was most likely the best purchase we ever made (accessory wise) for the X5. Hair comes right up.

I take the rubber mat out about every month and just hose it off. Nice.

Clarke
04-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Since it is the family truckster it has hauled all kinds of junk organic and inorganic.Rubber mats:thumbup:.I've the regular rear one plus a cut down generic one to use with the rear seats folded.Sturdy sheets of plastic film can be handy too. Dog hair:eek: ,we have two Springer Spaniels and a Pomeranian so this is a neverending chore!It wafts everywhere.

Tominizer
04-26-2004, 08:35 AM
On Sunday, I hooked up the four wheel Uhaul vehicle transporter and did a 300 km round trip to pick up a 1971 BMW 2002. My X5 is a shush box 3.0i. It did way better then I expected. It was REALLY windy and rained like hell. With cruise control on, the entire setup moved along at 106 km/hr around 2100 RPM. Uphill grades it kicked down and rev-ed up to 3500 RPm and only kicked down again once at 5K RPM for a very short stint up an incline on a bridge ramp from one highway to another (long but steep bender). Of note, the 1971 2002 had no motor in it. So yeah, very pleased. Although the power of the bigger V8 motors would have been nice, I didn't really need it.