PDA

View Full Version : iPHONE 4S PROBLEMS, IS THE ADAPTER USELESS?

danny929
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Im having issues with my new iphone 4s in my 650 coupe, recent calls and redial dont seem to show. contacts are missing as well.

I purchased the iphone4s snap in adapter. I feel like the adapter is useless as all options work fine via the USB cord. What benefits does the adapter provide.

Also does anyone here experience bugs with the iPhone phone book, in addition to bugs with the recent call list.
Any thoughts?

TopDownInFL
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I use a 4S but only via Bluetooth. I have no issues.

petriej
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Doesn't the snap in adapter allow the phone to use the car's cellular antenna? Other than that I have no clue. I'm guessing it is supposed to do a lot more in all Fxx cars since they have been upgraded technologically.

:dunno:

thom.one.two
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
The adapter in my car works perfectly making my contacts and my music easy to use via the iControl.

svp66
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
When I purchased the adapter, the dealer made a point in asking whether I had the 4 vs 4S - he said the adapter is designed for iPhone 4, and there is no official support for 4S yet....

petriej
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
As far as protocol and connections, I see no reason the 4S shouldn't work with the 4's snap in adapter. The dealer is just making an excuse...

danny929
12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
what are the actual benifit of the snap in

thom.one.two
12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Charges your phone
Can see music videos when in park
Makes manuvering through music easier
Your phone uses the car antenna
You can run apps like social updates (which I have never and will never do), Pandora (which is GREAT), and BMW will be releasing more apps.

I only have 200 miles on it. Haven't explored much. I always hated the cord thing in my last 650. This is neater looking too.

Thebreadman
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Has anyone been successful (either with white Apple cable or BMW dock) to get music videos playing on the 10.2" screen when running iOS5?

Does anyone know if it is possible to bypass the "check if car is running sensor" that disables videos playing while the car is in motion?

unclebnz
12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Ive gotten it to work but i was informed by the service manager that BMW is working ou software updates and possibly updating time cradle. If you complain the should swap it out for you. Also there is a web site dvdinmotion.com that sells a software that bypassed the video while moving. It sells for 170.00. Best money i've ever spent. Works like a charm. No modules required.

Thebreadman
12-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Very helpful. Thanks!

danny929
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
unclebnz, does this module effect warrenty or tamper with the system? also is there anyway to play videos using the whole screen for the ipod as it is sooo small

unclebnz
12-16-2011, 06:17 PM
It doesn't void warranty. You can just insert cd back and reverse process

Itinj6
12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Ive gotten it to work but i was informed by the service manager that BMW is working ou software updates and possibly updating time cradle. If you complain the should swap it out for you. Also there is a web site dvdinmotion.com that sells a software that bypassed the video while moving. It sells for 170.00. Best money i've ever spent. Works like a charm. No modules required.

Very helpful. Thanks!

unclebnz, does this module effect warrenty or tamper with the system? also is there anyway to play videos using the whole screen for the ipod as it is sooo small

After reading this thread this morning, I purchased the DVD InMotion software and its amazing. The website says it will arrive within 24 hours, however, my download was available in within 10 minutes of purchasing. Highly recommended. Literally takes 10 minutes to install (total time with downloading, burning to a CD, walking to my car and installing it).

Thanks for the heads-up on this product, unclebnz

TopDownInFL
12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
After reading this thread this morning, I purchased the DVD InMotion software and its amazing. The website says it will arrive within 24 hours, however, my download was available in within 10 minutes of purchasing. Highly recommended. Literally takes 10 minutes to install (total time with downloading, burning to a CD, walking to my car and installing it).

Thanks for the heads-up on this product, unclebnz

Does that include sounds working as well???

Itinj6
12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Absolutely, sound works as well :)

Funny, now that i think about it, right after I installed the CD software, that steering issue I had (in my other thread that you replied in) went away lol

unclebnz
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
No problem Itinj6. Glad to be of assistance. I love this software. Next project, mods4cars. They make a module to open and close your convertible top. I've spoken to the owner and he is going to use my car as a prototype. Will inform when we meet and complete the job.

Itinj6
12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
A module to open and close the top? Do you mean remotely?

You are brave for using your car as a prototype lol

TopDownInFL
12-19-2011, 09:15 AM
A module to open and close the top? Do you mean remotely?

You are brave for using your car as a prototype lol

mods4cars has made the SmartTop for year for many manufacturers. It's allows you to remotely open and close without needing to hold down the keyfob. (and in the US, you can't close the top from the keyfob anyway...)

unclebnz
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
With this module you can open and close the top(US included). I had it in my 08 650

danny929
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Lets fin d a way to rid the seatbelt chime and enable automatic folding side mirrors upon locking the car

jettie1767
12-19-2011, 01:42 PM
mods4cars has made the SmartTop for year for many manufacturers. It's allows you to remotely open and close without needing to hold down the keyfob. (and in the US, you can't close the top from the keyfob anyway...)

I can open and close the top with the keyfob.

thom.one.two
12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Jettie, you do have it on your keyfob, but you have to stand directly over your car to activate the top. It looks like this will enable you to control the top from as far away as the key is detected.

Thank you UncleBnz! I downloaded the video software and will install tonight. You were right. Lucie contacted me about VIN, and then within 10 minutes I had my order. Really cool!

thom.one.two
12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Danny, I agree. I would love for my mirrors to fold in/out upon turning car off/on.

UnlceBnz, it appears that the part will also allow the doors to unlock when the engine is turned off. That eliminated the double pull thing on the door handles. Did you have that on your 08? Did it work? Can't wait to try this out too.

XZLR8
12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Danny, I agree. I would love for my mirrors to fold in/out upon turning car off/on.
I think my mom's Lexus LS does that. That's not a ringing endorsement, I realize...

thom.one.two
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Yes, XZLR8, I do recall that an LS that I rode in once did flod the mirrors each time.

UncleBnz--The DVD worked perfectly. The video now works all of the time. Someone asked how to get the video on the full screen. I just turned off my split screen by pressing "Options" and then unchecking split screen. The video changed to full screen. There is a small black border around the screen, but nothing distracting.

Again, thanks for the advice.

unclebnz
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Don't forget to mention my name. Maybe i'll get a discount.

unclebnz
12-19-2011, 07:57 PM

UnlceBnz, it appears that the part will also allow the doors to unlock when the engine is turned off. That eliminated the double pull thing on the door handles. Did you have that on your 08? Did it work? Can't wait to try this out too.

Worked like a charm. I am trying to set up a date with mods for cars to install.

unclebnz
12-19-2011, 08:12 PM
nice

Itinj6
12-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes, XZLR8, I do recall that an LS that I rode in once did flod the mirrors each time.

UncleBnz--The DVD worked perfectly. The video now works all of the time. Someone asked how to get the video on the full screen. I just turned off my split screen by pressing "Options" and then unchecking split screen. The video changed to full screen. There is a small black border around the screen, but nothing distracting.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Did somebody say "FULL" screen??? heh heh heh

While the DVD is playing, hit the "Options" button, scroll down to "Additional Options" then clicky clicky on "Zoom Mode"

I was screwing around and found that. I get absolutely ZERO black border ;) :thumbup:

Disclaimer: Sometimes you have to go back and undo the Zoom mode and then click it again but it worked for me on two different DVD's

Itinj6
12-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Now for the million dollar question...

Anyone think you can save the DVD to the car's hard drive like you can do with a music CD???

Just thought about this at 530 am and I am anxious to try this...

unclebnz
12-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Now for the million dollar question...

Anyone think you can save the DVD to the car's hard drive like you can do with a music CD???

Just thought about this at 530 am and I am anxious to try this...

Now that would be a bonus. I would even like it if you were to be able to play from usb stick.