PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer for X5

TomG
04-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi All
Hope you can help with a CD Changer question. Just bought the 2004 X5 3.0 with Nav. Dealer wants to charge me 895 for cd changer ($595 for part $300 for installation). When researching the web, found a site called "ultimatebmwparts.com" that claims they sell genuine BMW parts. They sell the CD changer (82 11 0 028 760) with installation kit for $401.00 plus shipping. Has anybody heard of this site....good....or bad? Any other sites I should check out for ordering the cd changer? Just feel like the dealer cost is a little out of wack.

Also, everything I'm reading is saying its plug and play and should be able to install myself in 15 minutes. Is that true...or am I asking for a heap of trouble installing myself.

Any info would be great. Thanks!!!! :drive:

TVX
04-23-2004, 10:53 AM
That company is legit but installing it will take at least an hour because you have to put the bracket together in the trunk. 800 bucks for a cd changer is ridiculous, I dont understand why BMW will not give you a 6 cd changer for the prices they charge for their cars. Its truely retarded.

Actually since you have the NAV system it might already have the bracket put together and is truely plug and play.

intrceptor
04-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I just bought a changer from oemautosound.com. The price was $250.00 + $13.00 shipping and they included the patch cable and wiring instructions. Evidently the phone and CD changer plugs are the same size and if you attach it to the wrong one, you will destroy the changer. They were very helpful and gave me a discount off of the internet price due to a referral from a local installer. Talk to Ernesto and ask for the same deal. I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way and he probably won't remember me. Their phone number is (888) 252-8324. They will ask all of the right questions so you get the correct unit and cable.

Good luck!
Dan

AndDown
04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Bought mine from Pacific BMW - they advertise in Roundel and Bimmer magazines. Paid $392 plus $26 for the brackets; this is the OEM changer from Alpine. Took me about 20-30 mins to put the bracket together (including reading instructions), and maybe another 20-30 minutes installing the whole unit. Had a hard time finding the "plug and play" cord - it was wrapped up with the other wires with cloth tape. I've since also installed the Alpine in my 325i, and for the dealer to charge $300/installation is a royal rip-off, since it should take no longer than half hour for an "experienced" tech to install. Definitely a DIY job.

TomG
04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks everybody for your help....will let you know where I order from and how difficult it was.....probably ording after the first week of May (heading to Vegas the first week....maybe if Im lucky I wont have to worry about getting a good deal :)....) Until then, if anybody else has any suggestions please leave them and I will check back before making my decision...........