PDA

View Full Version : Steering Behaviour Issue

Itinj6
12-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Not the first time this happened to me but last time, it fixed itself when I restarted the engine. This time, I restarted the engine about five times and it didnt resolve until I let the car idle for about 15 minutes.

Anyone experience this or know what it is? It says something like "Steering Behaviour" "Steering may be affected, drive with caution" on the display but the steering wheel doesnt turn at all.

I have a 650i with the Integral Active Steering option.

Thanks

TopDownInFL
12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Sounds like an active steering error. I've had one-off issues like that as well in previous cars. If it doesn't come back, I wouldn't worry about it - remember these cars are big computers and are can be as temperamental as your home pc every now and then.

Itinj6
12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
The bothersome thing about this is not only that it happened twice, but the not so comforting feeling that this might happen while I'm doing 80 around a turn on the highway. Even doing 55 wouldn't result in a happy outcome lol. I'm gonna see BMW service first chance I get. I need a car wash anyway lol

dkreidel
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
My 550 had active steering and occasionally exhibited this malady the entire time I owned it - and therefore we ordered the 650 w/o active anything...

dk

Itinj6
01-13-2012, 10:36 PM
In case anyone has this issue come up in the future, here is what I got back from BMW Service. They had my car for a week (my call because I wanted this issue to pop up while they had it so I told them to keep it for a bit) and it was not a problem with the Active Steering system at all. The Integral Active Steering actually has its own battery (it's a motorcycle battery which makes it a 24V system) and that battery was replaced. I hope this fixed the issue but after leaving the car sitting out in the cold for days at a time and driving only short distances, and reading this forum, I figured it was the battery but wanted to know for sure. Also, I discovered that you can disengage the 4 wheel steering if you want in settings > tire chains, in case you didn't know :)