PDA

View Full Version : bmw apps..can you watch video without it?

namja007
12-21-2011, 06:10 AM
I am looking for a 2012 650i and some don't have the bmw app. I read the other posts. Was wondering if you can still watch a dvd in the dvd player while the car is in park or even watch a video from your iphone without the bmw app option? I searched but could not find the answer. Thanks for your help.

thom.one.two
12-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't think that Apps matters to the CD/Multimedia system, but I'll bet UncleBnz knows. I think the $275.00 cradle makes that work. Read the thread about DVDinmotion. That is super cool and works perfectly. I'd look for the Bang and Olfsen sound system, though. That system is truly amazing and well worth the huge premium.

unclebnz
12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I am looking for a 2012 650i and some don't have the bmw app. I read the other posts. Was wondering if you can still watch a dvd in the dvd player while the car is in park or even watch a video from your iphone without the bmw app option? I searched but could not find the answer. Thanks for your help.

You definitely need the media cradle to watch video. It has to be the video version.

namja007
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
So if you just purchase the cradle and you don't have bmw apps as an option. You can still watch video? Just confused. thanks

thom.one.two
12-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Apps and video are two different things. To make your iphone show up on your screen, you can plug it in with your typical white cord. With the cord, you cannot play videos. You do have full function with your iphone with the exception of watching videos while parked. With the cradle, your iphone videos play on your screen. The cradle enables your car to log onto the antenna. It also enables Apps to be played on the screen. If you don't have Apps, you don't have the App function but you still have the ability to cradle your phone and watch videos. Apps allows for Pandora and whatever upcoming Apps get released from BMW. For now, it's Pandora, Twitter and Facebook that you will miss out on (if you can even call it missing out). I continue to hear that Apps will be added.

DVDinmotion will allow your car to think that it is in Europe and will play your videos from your cradled iphone even while you drive. It is cool, but I can see why it is not legal in the US. I find it extremely distracting, while at the same time rapper cool, to have videos being played on that 10.5" screen. I love the feature, but when one of my kids asks to take the car, they are leaving their iphones at home.

namja007
12-22-2011, 12:39 AM
thanks for the reply