PDA

View Full Version : Lift-gate release from inside car?

innerloop
12-21-2011, 10:20 AM
This seems like either a design oversight or maybe I'm not aware of how to do it.

Inside the cabin at a fairly inconvenient location below the dash there is a "trunk release" button which, on the GT, just does the "small" trunk door release. It would be much more convenient and more in-line with how the GT is normally used, I'd think, to have an option to do a "large" trunk/lift-gate release in this way.

I know there are lots of other options on the key fob and from the trunk lid itself, but neither are quite as convenient as it would be to press-and-hold this button or something.

Is this a hidden programmable feature the dealer can setup perhaps?

jdubbs
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't think so... I've wondered this myself, and could not find any way to do it, other than using the key fob.

wchewbaka
12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
When I push the tailgate button at the front lower driver door frame the entire liftgate opens. Is this the button you are referring to?

innerloop
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
The button I am referring to is not ON the drivers door but near it in the footwell area. And for me its never done anything other than open the small liftgate.

What model year do you have? Mine is a 2011 535GT with power liftgate & comfort access, etc.

This gives me hope it might be configurable by a dealer or something.

jadnashuanh
12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Might it make a difference on how long you hold that button down?

Mikez38
12-21-2011, 05:29 PM
My 2011 works as yours does, just the small door opens with the button.
I thought the lack of an interior button for the large lid might be a safety feature. You wouldn't want that large door hitting some unsuspecting person behind you.

wchewbaka
12-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes, same button on the frame near the footwell. On my 2012 535I the entire lift gate opens when I push that button. I do not recall any settings for this in the Idrive.

innerloop
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Darn - perhaps an undocumented 2012 improvement. Bastards!

Mikez38
12-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I still believe it is a safety hazard to be able to open that hugh door from the inside with out someone standing guard to keep the area clear.:thumbdwn:

innerloop
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I still believe it is a safety hazard to be able to open that hugh door from the inside with out someone standing guard to keep the area clear.:thumbdwn:

Every SUV on the planet does this already, and those are bigger hazards than the lift gate on the GT.

Mikez38
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I had a friend get his head hit by the lid during a power close. He was standing in the wrong spot. It occurred when the car was new to me. Now I make sure the area is clear before closing the lid.

wchewbaka
12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
When I push the interior button the hatch opens to the preset limit I set in Idrive.

Any further push of the button does nothing.

It does not open the lift-gate any further - nor does it close it.

The interior button operates the same as the large lift-gate button on the remote - open only, to the limit.

Wardman
12-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Froem what I understand, the 2011 have the ability to adjust steering and/or suspension in hte driving dynamics though - my 2012 can open the liftgate all the way

trade ya :-)

wchewbaka
12-27-2011, 04:29 PM
I have some suspension and drivetrain adjustments in my 2012 - not sure if it is more or less than the 2011.

Problem is that I needed to option the sport package to get it.....

My only reason explaining the 2012 lift-gate opening button is to indicate some of the evolution...

Wardman
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Correct - you had to option the sport package in 2012 - 2011 there were more adjustments like comfort but with the suspension setting checked.

Love those software developers, I mean car makers, and BMW... :-)

1STBimmer
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
button: opens the large gate in mine as well.
sport settings: this seems to be part of the dynamic handling package. mine has the sport package (msport) but but not the dynamic handling and the option isn't there...

Correct - you had to option the sport package in 2012 - 2011 there were more adjustments like comfort but with the suspension setting checked.

Love those software developers, I mean car makers, and BMW... :-)

wchewbaka
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
thanks for clearing that up

I have dynamic handling as well and did not realize it was the option that gave me the additional settings.

With both options I really like how well the car handles. However, the additional comfort+ setting is terrible - it has too much bounce. Makes me seasick.