PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Packages and Options

geobrick
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm playing with the "Build Your Own" feature on the BMW USA website.

I'm a little bit confused by how some colors and packages add or change other options or packages.

I'm looking at the 550i GT and I want the driving performance options and some of the comfort options.

My questions are...

1) Can someone confirm that the Sport and M-Sport packages are purely cosmetic (no driving performance differences? I read a post that said there were additional i-drive performance setting offered with these options.

2) Is there a preference for the M-Sport vs the Sport package here?

3) Are the Convenience and Driver Assistance Packages considered a good value? I like the head-up display, the Side and Top View Cameras and the Comfort Access keyless entry but that's about all I'd really want (unless I'm missing a "must have").

4) What are the BMW apps?

5) Is there a way to avoid the run flat tires?

6) Where are the multi-contour seats? Are they in the "Luxury Seating Package"? The website doesn't say.

7) Can we get it without the giant sun roof?

I'll probably have several more questions before I buy one. I really don't like run-flats based on my experience with the Michelin PAX wheels on our Honda mini-van. I can wait a year before buying if BMW is planning to get rid of them.

jadnashuanh
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I can answer a couple of the issues:
5. Doubt this will happen. The chassis has NO space for a spare, so, to go to 'normal' tires, they'd have to do major body change - not likely to happen.
7. No, at least not unless you live in Germany where it is optional. Most other national websites that I looked on, the vehicle comes standard with the panoramic sunroof. I asked corporate and the answer was no, they would/could not order it without the sunroof.

geobrick
12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for those answers. The panoramic sunroof just seems like a potential source of wind noise. I have a 2001 530 and I can count the number of times I've used its sunroof on one hand (after 11 years).

jadnashuanh
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Sunroofs are a bone of contention with me...long torso, average arm length, so setting the seat back means I can't reach the wheel and need lots of headroom with it more upright. Sunroofs suck it up. Luckily, the GT has enough, but I'd rather lose the weight and cost (it's like 1750 Euro option in Germany).

stancv
01-04-2012, 05:51 PM

1) Can someone confirm that the Sport and M-Sport packages are purely cosmetic (no driving performance differences? I read a post that said there were additional i-drive performance setting offered with these options.

6) Where are the multi-contour seats? Are they in the "Luxury Seating Package"? The website doesn't say.

I'll probably have several more questions before I buy one. I really don't like run-flats based on my experience with the Michelin PAX wheels on our Honda mini-van. I can wait a year before buying if BMW is planning to get rid of them.

1. No change in the suspension components according to my CA, however the GT does have the Sport, sport+... settings
4. BMW apps are helpful if you own an iPhone and you would like to have good integration with some of the apps like Facebook, Twitter, web radio. However, it seems to me that you could use them to their full extent if you also order the cradle for the phone (I did not, and am wondering if I should have)
5. You don't even have a choice as to what run-flat tires you can get, and I don't believe that BMW is going back to regular tires.
6. According to my CA, multi-countour seats are the top-of the line seats BMW makes, combining sportiness and comfort in one. They are in the Sport/Luxury & M packages for the 535GT or standard for the 550GT.
7. Not in the U.S.

Good luck in your research.

car-fan
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM

I'm a little bit confused by how some colors and packages add or change other options or packages.

I'm looking at the 550i GT and I want the driving performance options and some of the comfort options.

My questions are...

1) Can someone confirm that the Sport and M-Sport packages are purely cosmetic (no driving performance differences? I read a post that said there were additional i-drive performance setting offered with these options. I can't personally confirm this - but I seriously doubt any additional

2) Is there a preference for the M-Sport vs the Sport package here? From what can tell MSport is cosmetic only

3) Are the Convenience and Driver Assistance Packages considered a good value? I like the head-up display, the Side and Top View Cameras and the Comfort Access keyless entry but that's about all I'd really want (unless I'm missing a "must have").Convenience and Drivers Assistance are "very nice to have" options ...Soft closing doors, power big hatch, finger touch access/locking, blind side detection, heads up display, top view/side view/rear view cameras, etc

4) What are the BMW apps? Allows you to connect to the web via your iPhone, and also provides extended connectivity functions for supported phones i.e. text/email message playback etc..

5) Is there a way to avoid the run flat tires? Only when you replace them after delivery on the

6) Where are the multi-contour seats? Are they in the "Luxury Seating Package"? The website doesn't say. Multi contour seats are what used to be known as "Comfort Seats" The most notable feature being an articulated upper backrest and adjustable "winglets" on the headrest

7) Can we get it without the giant sun roof? Not that I am aware of - perhaps through special order and/or Euro Delivery :dunno:

vincesfo
01-04-2012, 11:32 PM

The 550i/xi with M-Sport do have a "Sport Exhaust" system. Not sure if improves performance a whole lot but it does give the 550 GT a nice growl!

1STBimmer
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

My questions are...

A little late, but let me see if I can help some... Just picked up my 550i GT at the perf ctr on Friday.

- Sport is cosmetic
- M-Sport adds the 'Sport exhaust' to the package. nothing else. The tweaks to the sport mode part of the dynamic handling package, not the sport package (ZDH).

I like the looks and the exhaust note of the M-Sport but that's completely subjective.

3) Are the Convenience and Driver Assistance Packages considered a good value? I like the head-up display, the Side and Top View Cameras and the Comfort Access keyless entry but that's about all I'd really want (unless I'm missing a "must have").

Cameras are a must have, at least the rear-facing. I don't think any of the rest is a must have but I gotta say I like the HUD a lot more that I thought I would...Not too crazy about the Lane departure/blind spot detection, especially since my V1 seems to be triggered by one of these gizmos.

Facebook twitter and Pandora as well as the 'BMW Connected' App which gives you a few extensions, Including 'Web Radio' which I find cool as you can listen to stations from all around the world.

No, but you can always replace them after delivery.

Yes. they are 'must-have' for me. Have them on the X5 and had to have them on the GT. Little interesting fact is that the GT gets the ones where you can adjust the side-bolsters where the F10's don't.

Nope.

If you wait for BMW to get rid of the RFTs you'll be waiting for a while, it seems.

Good Luck with your decision ,either way you go it is a beast of a car.:thumbup: (but it's not a damn wagon! :mad:)