PDA

View Full Version : 2012 640ci Manual Transmission?

ginsburl
12-24-2011, 10:18 AM
The 2012 640ci comes with an automatic transmission, with no option to build with a stick. Any sense as to whether BMW will offer a stick on the 640ci at some point? I appreciate that the manual transmission appears to be a concession to the US market, but, trying to get a little greener, I think that I'm going with the six cylinder, which takes me back to my roots with my long since retired 1985 635ci. But, I'd still like a real stick, and not paddles. I do like the clutch -- call me nuts!!

dkreidel
12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a 2012 manual trans 650 vert - and was told at the BMW Welt in September when I picked it up that the 2013 model year 6's will be auto trans only in the US. If you really want a MT new you might want to get one before the 2013's are produced - just in case the Welt official is correct.

I really don't understand why the 2012 640 isn't available as a manual trans - have you actually heard this from a dealer and had them talk to BMWNA?

svp66
12-25-2011, 02:38 PM
The 2012 640ci comes with an automatic transmission, with no option to build with a stick. Any sense as to whether BMW will offer a stick on the 640ci at some point? I appreciate that the manual transmission appears to be a concession to the US market, but, trying to get a little greener, I think that I'm going with the six cylinder, which takes me back to my roots with my long since retired 1985 635ci. But, I'd still like a real stick, and not paddles. I do like the clutch -- call me nuts!!

Why would you even bother with a stick shift on this car? The 8 speed automatic on this car is so good that it will shift faster and smoother than anything you may do manualy.... I think a review compared the cabrio - auto with coupe -manual, the cabrio came ahead in terms of performance, which can only reflect the difference in transmission,,, If you really want to shift, you always have the paddles / gear stick

TopDownInFL
12-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Why would you even bother with a stick shift on this car? The 8 speed automatic on this car is so good that it will shift faster and smoother than anything you may do manualy.... I think a review compared the cabrio - auto with coupe -manual, the cabrio came ahead in terms of performance, which can only reflect the difference in transmission,,, If you really want to shift, you always have the paddles / gear stick

+1 from someone who shifts gears with both the paddles and gear stick daily.